C63 Sealander Collection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

ssholloway21 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 pm So my question, since you own a Rolex do you feel the CW is too much of copy? I do not see myself buying the Explorer but concerned I will always look at the CW as a copy. I really do not like we all compare everything to Rolex but it is what it is.
I don’t own a Rolex but I did answer this question on a different forum the other day. Let’s examine the evidence.

Case shape – different.

Black-filled Steel 24 hour bezel – snap.

Hands -totally different (all four except for the orange colour)

Numbers on CW minute track

Indices - bâtons vs blobs

Date at 6 vs cyclops date at 3.

Loupe 22 is very explicit about the influence of the Exp. assuming you’ve read it. But…loose homage at best/worst. Copy? No.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

+1 Steve..👍
PHIL
GMT411

Post by GMT411 »

In my opinion, not a copy. Similarities at a macro design level sure, but once you get into the details, VERY different IMHO. I was a little worried about the size at 39mm being too small as well...but after a day of wear, it feels like a great everyday fit. I've been trending smaller in watches...the 42mm of the Explorer II will probably remain the largest in my collection; while 39mm would probably be my lower limit.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ That’s not a particularly wide set of limits, if I may make so bold! 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
GMT411

Post by GMT411 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:59 pm ^^^ That’s not a particularly wide set of limits, if I may make so bold! 8)
Not wide perhaps...but so much depth in that range! :D
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:48 pm
ssholloway21 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 pm So my question, since you own a Rolex do you feel the CW is too much of copy? I do not see myself buying the Explorer but concerned I will always look at the CW as a copy. I really do not like we all compare everything to Rolex but it is what it is.
I don’t own a Rolex but I did answer this question on a different forum the other day. Let’s examine the evidence.

Case shape – different.

Black-filled Steel 24 hour bezel – snap.

Hands -totally different (all four except for the orange colour)

Numbers on CW minute track

Indices - bâtons vs blobs

Date at 6 vs cyclops date at 3.

Loupe 22 is very explicit about the influence of the Exp. assuming you’ve read it. But…loose homage at best/worst. Copy? No.
I missed that copy of Loupe, just received my first (the new #tide) version this week. Thank you for the info, you are exactly right about the differences.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

ssholloway21 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:26 pm
I missed that copy of Loupe, just received my first (the new #tide) version this week. Thank you for the info, you are exactly right about the differences.
All CW Magazines and Loupe copies can be viewed and/or downloaded from the CWArchives.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
dipidyy
Junior
Junior

Post by dipidyy »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Geefiasco wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:01 pm
Do any bracelets available currently on the CW website fit the Sealander?
Unfortunately not. The C63 Sealander bracelets are specific to that model; due to the shaping of the fitted ends of the bracelet.

That, listed on its own, is also showing 'Pre-order for end Oct 2021'.

You could always get a straight end bracelet from the likes of Watchgecko to tide you over, perhaps.

Guy
This is what I did. Winter is coming so can wait for bracelet, for a while longer…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dipidyy
Junior
Junior

Post by dipidyy »

I dont know how you feel about your black ones, but surprisingly white dial looks a lot different out of the box.
At first I was sceptical about the metal hands in conjunction with black/orange GMT hand - fear not those hands look almost black in light. Awesome piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

^^^^ 100% it's an awesome piece and yes the hands do look almost black in light.
For mine the Sealander GMT does reference the Rolex (although most watches are similar to at least something else) but for sure it moves the game on and stands on its own.
Mine is in both my work watch rotation (robust and practical) and my leisure watch rotation because it's just such a pleasure to wear and look at. It may be my best ever watch purchase and I've bought quite a few over the journey....
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
MadMrB
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MadMrB »

Still loving it...

These users thanked the author MadMrB for the post:
ADinFL18
Dallben

Post by Dallben »

GMT411 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:48 pm Just picked one up on a tide strap. Wears a little smaller than I would have thought, but really liking the overall fit and finish.

Here it is next to the latest Explorer II. In pictures, they seem close in size, but on wrist, the feel is very different.
20210901_104712.jpg
Thanks for the picture, interesting to see them side-by-side. I think it shows how overall diameter is one thing, but I also think the size of the dial makes a bigger impression on how large the watch appears. So, at 39mm, the C63 appears larger due to the thinner bezel.
MadMrB
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MadMrB »

I'm liking the new blue a lot... :clap: - I'd not seen these before, have they been available for long?

These users thanked the author MadMrB for the post:
strapline
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

MadMrB wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:21 pm I'm liking the new blue a lot... :clap: - I'd not seen these before, have they been available for long?

According to this thread it briefly appeared on the CW site without pics, but was then removed until it was listed with pics on Friday September 24th.
These users thanked the author audio.bill for the post:
MadMrB
dipidyy
Junior
Junior

Post by dipidyy »

Do love the blue, but have to admit that I’m preferring my white one.
Without colourfull bezel, or as in just steel, I prefer white with bracelet. My cup of tee…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk