C63 Sealander Collection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by albionphoto »

What issue number was this Guy? Being in the US means my copy of evo arrives late (or sometimes not at all). I wonder if there's an advert in Car magazine too? This reminds me that it was an advert in either Car or evo magazine that got me into Christopher Ward in the first place. Happy days.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

albionphoto wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:21 pm What issue number was this Guy?
Issue 286 - June 2021

Of course 'Hands, Face, Space' is the mantra in UK for Covid precautions during Lockdown.
albionphoto wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:21 pm . . . . . . This reminds me that it was an advert in either Car or evo magazine that got me into Christopher Ward in the first place. Happy days.
Likewise.

It was the C11 MSL featured on the Watches page in EVO April or May 2012, that alerted me to the existence of Christopher Ward. As a result I bought a C11 MSL Black Manta and C9 Harrison Chrono LE.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Great, thanks Guy. I have Issue 286 on the table to read soon.

My first was the C60 Trident MkII SH21 LE. I'm not sure it was in a magazine but the ads certainly got me to go to the website and browse... Welcome to the rabbit hole, Alice... :D :D :D
Mark
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

strapline wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:52 am
rkovars wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 pm
I think that if you guys tried it the 39s would be quite wearable. All of the vintage Rolex cases are 39. I have a 7.5 inch wrist. My watches range from 36 to 45. Diameter is really only a starting point (lug to lug is far more important IMO). 40 inch dial only watches look far bigger on wrist than they are. In reality at 39 you are talking 1/2 mm on wither side of the case.
Found these four photos of different watches fascinating. There is a 9mm swing between the smallest and biggest yet, in my eyes, each look just as well suited to your 7.5" wrist. I tend to favour bigger dial sizes, but I think it's the L2L measurement that has the greatest bearing. A couple of my watches have L2L of 52mm which is my absolute max on a 7" wrist. I think the only real no-no with watch size is when the lugs of a watch visibly overhang the wrist.

Des
I've come to the point where I never dismiss a watch outright based on case width. Dial proportion is very important along with L2L. THe ration of dial to case diameter can make a watch look large or small. Funny enough my max L2L is pretty close to yours - my Lunar Pilot is 52.5 mm and is getting very close to the max size for me. I tried on the black Sealander Auto we got for my Dad and it wears great. The 11.25 mm height is really good.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Bahnstormer_vRS

albionphoto wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 pm Great, thanks Guy. I have Issue 286 on the table to read soon.

My first was the C60 Trident MkII SH21 LE. I'm not sure it was in a magazine but the ads certainly got me to go to the website and browse... Welcome to the rabbit hole, Alice... :D :D :D
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Starting well towards the top I see Mark. :wink: :wink:

Guy

Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

^^ Thank you rkovars...that is helpful. My wrist is a touch larger than yours at just under 8" in size (20mm). Pictures were very helpful.

Similar to albionphoto and strapmeister my sweet spot is 42mm. I've worn 40mm - 45mm in my collection history
however the 40mm (x2) and 41mm (x2) both were moved on. Currently the collection contains 42mm (x3) plus a 43.5mm.

I would love to take a run at the C63 GMT and likely would have if it was at least 40mm.

I acknowledge and respect there is the 60:60 to test this out however my ethos feels like there is a 80% or greater chance it might not work. That feels to me like I'm knowingly wasting CW resources. So my plan is to sit tight until someone else with a similar wrist size might have taken the plunge!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

@rkovars - I have tiny wrists (6.75 inches) but often wear 44mm watches so long as the lug tip to lug tip length is about 50mm. I just like large watches. I'm not opposed to trying a smaller watch but like Lance said I'm not fully comfortable trying a watch when I have a high expectation of not liking the size. Call me old fashioned, but while I know and appreciate the 60/60 guarantee it's more of a pain to use in the US and seems to be a waste of my time and CW's too.

Of the three watches I currently have to sell all of them are 40mm...
Mark
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Viognier wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:05 pm ^^ Thank you rkovars...that is helpful. My wrist is a touch larger than yours at just under 8" in size (20mm). Pictures were very helpful.

Similar to albionphoto and strapmeister my sweet spot is 42mm. I've worn 40mm - 45mm in my collection history
however the 40mm (x2) and 41mm (x2) both were moved on. Currently the collection contains 42mm (x3) plus a 43.5mm.

I would love to take a run at the C63 GMT and likely would have if it was at least 40mm.

I acknowledge and respect there is the 60:60 to test this out however my ethos feels like there is a 80% or greater chance it might not work. That feels to me like I'm knowingly wasting CW resources. So my plan is to sit tight until someone else with a similar wrist size might have taken the plunge!
I feel that if you know you really like a watch of at least 40mm, then you also know that 39mm just feels that smidgen too small. Yes, you can wear it, but you know a 41mm would work better.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

As mentioned previously my sweet spot is 42mm - to be exact 42mm diameter and an L2L of 50mm.
Also I said that had nothing under 40mm diameter which isn't strictly speaking true.
My Rolex Explorer 214270 is actually 39mm BUT it has a L2L of @48mm which makes it wear larger.
I then decided to have a look at what else I have...
My smallest watches are my Newmark NP and Field 52 which are both 38-41mm diameter depending upon where you measure and whether you include the crown.
I'd actually say that they are 39.5mm diameter without the crown.
They wear larger than expected, more like 41mm due to the curvature of the case protecting the crown.
However, they turn out to have the smallest L2L of all my collection @46mm.
I have visually enhanced the size of the Newmark Field 52 by putting it on a bund and the Newmark NP on a white flyboard strap.
Therefore, I would imagine that the C63 Sealander GMT, as much as I like it, would not suit me at 39mm diameter and only a 45.8mm L2L.
However, may be it's one of those watches that you need to try on before buying.
Cafu

Post by Cafu »

This might be the first CW where I am going to buy all models of the line. The GMT polar dial is a must obviously, so is the black GMT but the real star of the line is the C63 Elite. What a watch, and most importantly, at least for me, CW writing is back at 12 o'clock.
AlphaLimaGolf
Junior
Junior

Post by AlphaLimaGolf »

Seems like this launch was pretty successful for CW. Just took a look on their website and almost all of the C63 watches which were available at launch are now back on pre-order only.

For those who missed out, most seem to be available again end of may - mid june.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

The bracelets are on pre-order at the moment.
Cafu

Post by Cafu »

Has anyone received the C63 Elite yet? There are plenty of people that have received the WD and BD GMTs, haven't seen the Elite yet.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^Looks like the Elite is still on pre-order for the end of May.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ and has been on pre-order since release.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk