C63 Sealander Collection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by rkovars »

Unfortunately, the renders and photos don't do the black justice. We got my Dad the Auto for his birthday and the family vote was for black. It was my least favorite out of the released models based on what I had seen. It arrived yesterday and it is night and day from the photos. The dial is very dynamic with the markers and hands catching the light. It is far more appealing in the flesh. I wouldn't hesitate if you are on the fence. The black looks fantastic in person. I still like the white better but I think that is because I don't have many white dial watches.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Lovely watches as they are, and I applaud :clap: CW for the collection, if they had done the white C63 Sealander GMT in 42mm and a completely orange GMT hand then I'd buy one straight away.
Unfortunately @39mm that's too small for me (the smallest watch I have is 40mm).
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

StrapMeister wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:58 pm Lovely watches as they are, and I applaud :clap: CW for the collection, if they had done the white C63 Sealander GMT in 42mm and a completely orange GMT hand then I'd buy one straight away.
Unfortunately @39mm that's too small for me (the smallest watch I have is 40mm).
I also don't own a watch that is less than 40mm. I'm not sure though that I'd be a customer for the GMT or the Automatic anyway. I prefer a red GMT hand... The Automatic is a bit too "Explorer" for me.
I did a quick calculation on the average size of my watches. It seems I'm happiest at 42mm and I might have preferred the Elite to be that size. It didn't stop me from being the first person to order one though. I understand the move to smaller watches and 39mm is a good compromise. If they ever went to 36mm then I'd be in a different position. I hope these watches are a success for CW, it seems they might be :clap: :clap:
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

albionphoto wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:06 pm
StrapMeister wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:58 pm Lovely watches as they are, and I applaud :clap: CW for the collection, if they had done the white C63 Sealander GMT in 42mm and a completely orange GMT hand then I'd buy one straight away.
I also don't own a watch that is less than 40mm. I'm not sure though that I'd be a customer for the GMT or the Automatic anyway. I prefer a red GMT hand... The Automatic is a bit too "Explorer" for me.
I did a quick calculation on the average size of my watches. It seems I'm happiest at 42mm and I might have preferred the Elite to be that size. It didn't stop me from being the first person to order one though. I understand the move to smaller watches and 39mm is a good compromise. If they ever went to 36mm then I'd be in a different position. I hope these watches are a success for CW, it seems they might be :clap: :clap:
I think that if you guys tried it the 39s would be quite wearable. All of the vintage Rolex cases are 39. I have a 7.5 inch wrist. My watches range from 36 to 45. Diameter is really only a starting point (lug to lug is far more important IMO). 40 inch dial only watches look far bigger on wrist than they are. In reality at 39 you are talking 1/2 mm on wither side of the case.

This is the amount of material on each side of the case we are talking about from 39 to 40mm.
20210511_152524410_iOS (2).jpg

Here are some examples from my collection.

36mm
20200602_122455809_iOS.jpg

39mm
20201020_131549364_iOS (2).jpg

42mm
20210312_155106714_iOS (2).jpg

45mm
20201029_150452536_iOS (2).jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
AlphaLimaGolf
Junior
Junior

Post by AlphaLimaGolf »

Agreed. A 1mm difference in size has much less of an effect on how a watch wears than other factors, such as bezel to dial ratio, lug to lug, protruding end links, colour and strap choice.

The slim bezel (and therefor larger dial) and protruding end links on the C63 GMT, means it wears much more like a 40/41mm watch.

That is one of the main issues with CW, unless you live near their offices, there's nowhere to go to try one on first.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It wouldn't surprise me if they don't produce the same design in 41.5mm at some point. I think I would be more likely to buy a sealander at a bigger size.

It might not be as easy to actually go smaller than 39mm. It depends on how big the movement actually is.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

JAFO wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm

It might not be as easy to actually go smaller than 39mm. It depends on how big the movement actually is.
25.6mm. There's quite a few 36mm watches using the SW200-1.
Richard
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

downer wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks for that. That's quite small then . If it's just a matter of changing the case and hand size, and maybe changing the lug width, it's not too hard to provide a choice of watch size, is it?
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

JAFO wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:16 pm
downer wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks for that. That's quite small then . If it's just a matter of changing the case and hand size, and maybe changing the lug width, it's not too hard to provide a choice of watch size, is it?
I imagine it is quite expensive to do the tooling for a new case size - as well as all the other components, so I guess it's like everything else in that there needs to be a business case with sufficient projected sales to get a secure return on the investment. So, in the end it's a numbers game and CW will have to estimate the level of demand for a new size, compared to the level of cannibalisation from the existing size. On top, there's the complexity cost of stocking and selling two sizes.

I'm sure CW will do their homework before we see new sizes/colours/variants.
Richard
mtbmike

Post by mtbmike »

Thanks for your very informative review. Last year I was lucky to get a C65 Trident on sale and have grown to really like it. I'm OK with the wide center links and pin collar connectors but find it does pull hairs ever so slightly. I do like the 39mm size over 36mm. My Smiths Everest 36mm always seems so small when I first put it on but after a few days you get used to it. I am inching closer to ordering the White model but also wish they would release an aqua blue AKA Vissla color. I am certain it would be a hit. It' crazy seeing Tiffany turquoise Rolex OP's selling for 3X retail!

AC_Rider wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:55 pm
I'm new to this forum but I've been an admirer of Christopher Ward since first trying out the C65 Trident Automatic. I've been waiting for the brand to finally release a standard-issue sports watch, as so as soon as they did I ordered the C63 Sealander Automatic in white. And I love it. I've also written a review of it if anyone wants a closer look at an owner's perspective of the watch.

https://thewatchprofiler.com/review/chr ... ic-review/

And here's a shot of the watch on my 6.5" (16.5 cm) wrist. I think it wears very well. But if Christopher Ward would ever release a 36mm version, I'd be very tempted to trade this one for that size.

C63-Sealander-Automatic.jpg
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

rkovars wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 pm
I think that if you guys tried it the 39s would be quite wearable. All of the vintage Rolex cases are 39. I have a 7.5 inch wrist. My watches range from 36 to 45. Diameter is really only a starting point (lug to lug is far more important IMO). 40 inch dial only watches look far bigger on wrist than they are. In reality at 39 you are talking 1/2 mm on wither side of the case.
Found these four photos of different watches fascinating. There is a 9mm swing between the smallest and biggest yet, in my eyes, each look just as well suited to your 7.5" wrist. I tend to favour bigger dial sizes, but I think it's the L2L measurement that has the greatest bearing. A couple of my watches have L2L of 52mm which is my absolute max on a 7" wrist. I think the only real no-no with watch size is when the lugs of a watch visibly overhang the wrist.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

albionphoto wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:06 pm
Agree- a speedy pro is smaller than an SKX but wears bigger. A Seiko tuna is 47mm or something but has a 47mm lug to lug so actually wears fine (well a tad big, let’s not ignore the height!)

Case diameter seemed to have become the simplest way to describe watches a few years back and everyone ran with it despite it being flawed. Made even more pointless when Rolex call models “OP41” which is actually 39.5mm in diameter.

Anyway I have gone right off topic...

So.... That sealander is nice 😂
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Does anyone with a Super Compressor also have a C63 Auto/GMT? Would love to see a comparison shot :thumbup:
Ryan
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

strapline wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:52 am
Found these four photos of different watches fascinating. There is a 9mm swing between the smallest and biggest yet, in my eyes, each look just as well suited to your 7.5" wrist. I tend to favour bigger dial sizes, but I think it's the L2L measurement that has the greatest bearing. A couple of my watches have L2L of 52mm which is my absolute max on a 7" wrist. I think the only real no-no with watch size is when the lugs of a watch visibly overhang the wrist.

Des
In bold above - Actually that is a very good point :thumbup:
StrappedUp wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:51 am Does anyone with a Super Compressor also have a C63 Auto/GMT? Would love to see a comparison shot :thumbup:
Having just acquired an SC, I would also be very interested to see a comparison shot :)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

An interesting and topical advert for the Sealander in the latest edition of EVO, that dropped through my letter box at lunchtime.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England