C63 Sealander Collection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Dallben

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by Dallben »

I really like the size and style. I may have to consider trading out something in my current collection for one.

I do like the name at the 12 position, but would like to see them do more with the logo instead.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

My Loupe magazine landed at the same time as I received the CW email. I do like the Sealander collection but the case sizes are a tad small for my wrist. Good to see others placing orders, I’ve no doubt the collection will do well for CW.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Thumbs up from me. :thumbup:
There is a lot to like there IMHO...

One thing that is puzzling me with the Elite is the nature of the arc-like cutout between the indices. The front view appears to be a render (to my eyes anyway) and it appears as if there is a lighter colour revealed in the cutout as if it were sandwiched below the plane of the main dial. This does not appear to be consistent with the oblique views (which appear to be photos rather than renders) as they seem to have no lighter colour beyond the cutout. Perhaps it’s just the viewing angle or my eyes are not reading it properly. Anyone got any thoughts on this...?
Cheers
Ian
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Ian the cut out allows you to see your wrist! I.e. if you shine a light from the underside you would see each cut out lit up.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
markee
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by markee »

This is quite a good overview video with the CEO about the Sealander range. The section on the elite is very interesting.I have to say I really like them all but budget constraints mean that I will go for the 39 mm Automatic.

https://youtu.be/odrzgrww4C4
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

C63 Sealander Collection

Post by paw3001 »

jtc wrote:I'm really disappointed with the homage to Rolex, again, with the CW Explorer II. It's the C60 black bay red all over again - I wonder if we'll see similar marketing. At least the Anthropocene was unique enough to be a CW design.

What makes it more of a shame is the Elite is a fantastic model for the price point. Where else do you get that lightweight design plus a push-push activated crown for around £1k?

Still a company of two minds - one to chase the "I can't afford another brand" homages at volume, the other doing great product development and leading the way for small and larger brands.

I guess it's business, and one funds the other.
Yes I totally agree with how you put that.

CW have shown they can stand on their own and are doing some excellent work and product design. They don’t need to walk in someone else’s footsteps. I just feel that it undermines them and the work they are doing.

Just hope they have double/tripe check the printing alignment this time! Image
Watches - Too many but not enough!
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

^^^ Oh, I see now (pun intended).. oops, thanks Neil. :oops:
Ian
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes

C63 Sealander Collection

Post by paw3001 »

sproughton wrote:
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:44 am Just how much would you really expect to pay for a titanium chronometer with a telescopic retractable crown? :ka:
I was waiting for this, should've added more to my initial comment.

I really like the look of it, whether it's titanium or stainless steel doesn't bother me. Nor am I particularly interested in a retractable crown. So for me, I'd have been very interested in a similar watch without the added expense of the material and fancy-but-not-needed crown and the subsequent more palatable price point.
So a C63 Chronometer auto then in the same colourway?

The Elite is one to own for me but to state that the holes/windows add to the reduced weight is a stretch. It just screams gimmick to me and I would love to know how much weight they take off the dial!

Still like it though as nothing wrong with gimmicks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watches - Too many but not enough!
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I too think CW will do well with these, I do like the Elite (the crown is cool) but the entry level auto is very competitive in the broad market. Hopefully the centred logo will lay controversy to rest and work better to a wider audience.
These users thanked the author H0rati0 for the post:
Thunder1
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Love 'em! Would I buy any? Absolutely.

Will I buy any? Promised the good lady that my 3rd CW purchase in 6 mths would be my last this year.

I'm a chap of my word.

Ask me a question about Thermal Oil vaporizers and their utilisation in the Nylon manufacturing business. You'll get a really complicated answer that'll take my mind off these damn watches!
Steve.
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

I figured right, they are following the Omega style lineup. Take the modern Seamaster/Trident lineup and turn it into a great all around sports watch.

Aqua Terra/Sealander. I like this move. It's a modern watch with the awesome light catcher case, slightly different size than the diver version with a decent 150m of WR.

I love the GMT with fixed bezel. So what that Rolex is the first for this particular look.

Grand Seiko made their HAQ GMT in this style and is killing it as its one of their best selling watches.

I think CW will make a killing with this watch since it will definitely scratch the itch for those that want the EXP II, but can't find one, can't afford one, or don't want it in its current large size. 39mm is the sweet spot for this style and it's a great edition.

39mm and 40mm size releases are a very smart move. Seiko, Tudor, and even GS (not large size differences, but a spring drive gmt at 40.5mm is big for GS) are in this direction. Tudor nailed it with the BB58 39mm size. They are appealing to a larger crowd now with watch offerings at 42mm (divers) down to 39mm sports watches. It appears that the marketing department is keeping a good eye on the industry.

I'll add a GMT to my collection, I'm still deciding on color...

I'll go with this one instead of the Steinhart 39mm OV GMT because of the case design. Steinhart is going with the slab style flat case...which is a good look, but I prefer the CW C6... cases with the curved down lugs to hug the wrist.

Bravo CW!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Right then, my new watch that just arrived today is being returned so that I'm free to consider the white dial automatic, which looks great.
Can you have too many white watches??
(I don't think so - white is the new black!)
:D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

Really nice watches and after years of saying I didn’t mind (and quite liked) the 9 o’clock CW placement, I have to admit these look better to me 😂😂
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I really like the elite, a very good looking, interesting watch, but the Rolex GMT rip-off's do no credit to the brand at all.

Size wise, 40mm is my absolute smallest limit and I find it a little odd that a 42mm version isn't available.

And good to see the word mark where it belongs and hopefully these new models herald a lasting change in policy.

As for the video's, I liked the jeep, if that's what it was, but not a video I would recommend to look at watches. Bit of a waste of money really. Just as with divers, most won't use these watches to explore the wilds of deepest darkest Devon, yet alone the rain forests of Northern Queensland!

I'll wait for the sales before thinking about buying.
'Tis me
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

missF wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:41 pm Right then, my new watch that just arrived today is being returned so that I'm free to consider the white dial automatic, which looks great.
Can you have too many white watches??
(I don't think so - white is the new black!)
:D
Woo Hoo :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well done Lindsey !