Broken watch sent back to CW but.....

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Enkidu
CW-watches: 1

Broken watch sent back to CW but.....

Post by Enkidu »

did I mess up by sending the whole original box and paperwork too?

It had been over 5 days from my first email to start process to finally getting a DHL shipping label.
I read all the directions and no where did it say not to send it in original box.

So to back up a bit..This is the first watch Ive ever sent back to any company, so Im a noob there but I was reading another thread elsewhere about a CW return and they only sent back the watch nothing else.
So....Will that be an issue? Hoping US customs doesnt get confused that its a return repair item-they can be quite officious sometimes

and yeah I already feel dumb for not asking here first but life is busy and this issue is just one of lots things I have going on. :-|
Celebrate Schadenfreude!
ttix67

Re: Broken watch sent back to CW but.....

Post by ttix67 »

I think it should be fine. I sent back two watches to CW - one for time regulation and most recently, for a piece of lint/dust underneath the crystal. The first time I sent it was the watch head only and I did not have to pay any customs (it was marked as such when it returned back to me.)

This second time I asked CW and they told me to keep it in the original packaging so as to minimize any damage in transit. I did as they were told so I'm in the same boat as you. But again, I think they'll mark it as a repair so as to avoid double import duties.
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

I'm in the UK and sent mine back for repair in the original packaging. I'm assuming - expecting - it comes back to me that way!
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

It comes down to secure packaging - DHL have their own guidelines, the principle being two layers with good padding between.

https://www.dhl.com/content/dam/downloa ... ide_en.pdf

If you want to send the watch in the original box, that's ok if rather unnecessary volumetrically but personally I just send the watch (head alone if appropriate) padded in a CW pod (inside an outer box of course) which is similar to what most manufacturers recommend for service shipments.

https://www.christopherward.com/accesso ... D001K.html

So long as your shipment was well packed, you'll be fine.

Customs is another matter and that comes down to documentation which CWL specifically provide both ways.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Enkidu
CW-watches: 1

Post by Enkidu »

Thanks for informative replies! I can wait easier now.

Meantime I'm sporting my Oceanus.

Screenshot_20210428-115217_Samsung Internet.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photo 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Celebrate Schadenfreude!