SH21 v SW330

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Danpetty1981

SH21 v SW330

Post by Danpetty1981 »

Hi all,

It's my 40th coming up soon and I have been looking at getting a Rolex Air King. To part fund this, I was going to sell some of my modest collection (Tag Aqua Chrono, Monaco Quartz, Breitling Colt Skyracer and a near 20 year old Rado). I've since realised even though my collection isn't horogoically to be admired I'm only really willing to sell the Rado which won't be enough.

I came across the CW brand a while back and dismissed it as a fashion brand but on reading further I can see it's a widely admired and respected brand. Which leads me to my actual question; what's the general consensus of the best movement in the irrange? I really like the C60 Elite GMT but I suppose purely out of admiration for the achievement of creating their own in house movement I really want one with the SH21.

All views appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: SH21 v SW330

Post by H0rati0 »

Those of us that have SH21s swear by them. However, I think you should go for the watch that you would like best on your wrist, overall design is the most important thing to live with.

BTW CW also has its JJ calibers which are significant in house modifications to Sellita/ETA movements.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Welcome.

You can find the all the movements that CW has used, including the SH21 and JJ calibers listed here in the CWArchives. The list will show you which models used each movement so you can compare.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Welcome to the forum. What a great first post.

The Selitta SW330 is a great movement, made by a major supplier to the watch industry. It should be easily serviced anywhere and if properly regulated and maintained will give great service for many years.

The SH21 is CW's in-house movement. It has been in service since 2014. I currently have two watches that use this movement. I have found it to be reliable and a very good time keeper. It is normally COSC certified and CW supply the certification document with the watch. As it is an in-house movement it can only be repaired/serviced by Christopher Ward. This shouldn't be a worry since CW's service costs are very reasonable and their service times are comparable to the rest of the industry.

Both movements are quite large so don't expect a very slim watch using either of these movements. The SH21 does offer a 120 hour power reserve and can be had in hand-wound and automatic variants. I've had no problems with either of mine and as Horati0 said many of us swear by them.

Just a note. If you really want a Rolex then quite often, only a Rolex will do. I know you have a significant birthday coming up (congratulations in advance) but you may want to wait and save until you can get the Airking if that is what you really want.

Good luck with your choices and welcome aboard.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Hi Dan
Most of us have at one time or another been through the same process, partcularly when a collection has been built and we've learned a bit about what we like. I agree with the above points about getting what you really want.
Countless times I've been impatient and compromised only to find the 3 alternatives I end up with over the year dont scratch the original itch.
That said, if its a big jump make sure you woukd actually wear it, Ive been guilty in the past of acquiring a 'grail' only to find i wasnt comfortable/confident wearing such a special watch very frequently (hence the CWs which I have been more comfortable with).
Now I am and consolidating (not totally) once again towards fewer/more desirable pieces (to me)... guess what I'm saying is, if you want the Rolex and will wear it, enjoy it etc. Go for it!
On the other hand the journey to get to that point can be fun. The SH21, 330, JJ are all fantastic movements.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Dynamite_Kid19
Expert
Expert

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 »

Danpetty1981 wrote:Hi all,

It's my 40th coming up soon and I have been looking at getting a Rolex Air King. To part fund this, I was going to sell some of my modest collection (Tag Aqua Chrono, Monaco Quartz, Breitling Colt Skyracer and a near 20 year old Rado). I've since realised even though my collection isn't horogoically to be admired I'm only really willing to sell the Rado which won't be enough.

I came across the CW brand a while back and dismissed it as a fashion brand but on reading further I can see it's a widely admired and respected brand. Which leads me to my actual question; what's the general consensus of the best movement in the irrange? I really like the C60 Elite GMT but I suppose purely out of admiration for the achievement of creating their own in house movement I really want one with the SH21.

All views appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan
I posted something similar recently. They have the Abyss with the SH21 but I'm not looking for an all gun metal watch as an everydayer as it is a looker. I just want them to drop a flagship black dial/bezel stainless steel C60 Trident Pro with the SH21 in it and no power reserve indicator.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Danpetty1981

Post by Danpetty1981 »

Hi all, thank you so much for all your helpful responses. I'll keep looking as my birthday will be here before you know it. I've maybe swayed back to the Rolex but possibly a Submariner date after all that but I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on CW.

Thanks again.
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

I’ve got the C60 Elite GMT and two with the SH21 (the C65 Trident Diver SH21 LE and C8 Power Reserve).

These three and the C65 Cranwell have become pretty much my daily wear rotation through the week. They are all superb, reliable and accurate... gaining no more than 1 or 2 seconds a day each.

If I had to choose two, they would be the C60 Elite GMT and C65 Trident Diver SH21 and then it would be a very hard choice to narrow done to single favourite from there.

Functionality and weight wise, it would be the Elite, but the appeal of the SH21 and just having that 5 day power reserve would swing it towards (just) the C65 Trident Diver.

You really wouldn’t go wrong with either though and of course if you do admire the AirKing (and I totally agree with you there, it’s also my favourite of the Rolex range), then save a little longer and get that :thumbup:

Good luck :D
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

Hi Dan, allow me to add my two-penneth! I was lucky enough to own an Air-King for 20 years as my daily wear...it was the only watch I had at the time and I wore it everywhere, work gym swimming. I had it serviced a couple of times but it ran perfectly. I can honestly say I never gave any thought to the movement inside, as I wouldn't have classed myself as a watch enthusiast back then, and had pretty much bought it on a whim after walking into Mappin & Webb in Regent Street one day. No 'dealer games or waiting lists then'! Anyway, it was looking pretty tired and scratched all over by now. My father had bought himself one of the first Bremont watches after two visits to the dealer and viewing it and a Rolex Explorer side by side; he bought the Bremont and still wears it daily over a decade later. Movement? I dont think he even asked about it.

I was so impressed that I bought a Bremont too, and I wore it as I had done my rolex, everywhere. I never had it serviced in over a decade, and when I sold it (to fund another Bremont) it was almost unmarked. If anything it had a harder life than my Rolex did.

Now that I'm retired I looked to buy some more watches... I looked briefly at the Explorer, but then I began to read about 'building relationships' with dealers and waiting lists. I just want to walk in the shop and come out with a watch 15 minutes later. So I did that and got a Black Bay...same ETA movement as my last two Bremonts (and my Dad's) so it'll be fine most likely. The Tudor and Bremont finish is as good or better than Rolex imo and discounts are easily available on those brands without too much of a haggle. I have recently added two CW watches to my collection bought during promotions, again these have the Sellita (ETA based) movement and keep good time. My C60 is remarkably accurate +2spd. I think the case quality is superb, and the dials aren't massively below the quality of other watches I've owned. VFM they are off the scale in my opinion and I love wearing them.

So... I wouldn't be too concerned about the movement in any of the watches you're considering. They will all do the job and be reliable. However some will definitely cost more to fix if you do have a problem. I'd would think hard about the extra money a Rolex costs though, and whether to buy some extra watches for the same budget. I understand its an itch that you might need to scratch (and I was lucky to do it when they were far cheaper and more widely available) but I do feel that you are paying more to 'join the club' than you are for the watch itself. Only you can say if you're happy to do that....
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The movements are to some extent apples and oranges. On the one hand you have a COSC with a 5-day PR, and on the other a GMT. Surely best to decide what look and function you want in the watch, rather than fretting about the movement.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)