C65 Dartmouth or C65 Trident Automatic ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

C65 Dartmouth or C65 Trident Automatic ?

Post by copemanphoto »

Hi everyone, I am looking at either A C65 Dartmouth or a C65 Trident Automatic. My questions for those who own these watches is :

Is the Dartmouth with it's COSC certification noticeably more accurate than the standard movement in the Trident Automatic?

Is it worth the extra money for the COSC?

I am looking at bracelets on both.

I currently own a C60 Trident Bronze which I purchased new in October 2017 and it keeps about -1.66 spd on the wrist. That is extremely accurate for a non COSC movement and I am wondering if I can expect similar results with a newer C65 Trident?

This will be my first current CW bracelet and I can not find much on taper or details on the ratcheting adjustments so any advice/info would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Cheers, Mike.
Cheers, Mike.
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Re: C65 Dartmouth or C65 Trident Automatic ?

Post by GTC854 »

Hello Mike. First off let me confess to having very little knowledge of the 'oily bits' that fill the cases of these watches. However I do own a C60 Trident LE of a similar vintage to yours and a C65 Auto. I cannot advise on accuracy as I have never measured this and have no need to as the watches are rotated and are never on my wrist for more than three days at a time. What I can say is the movement in the C65 feels a lot smoother than its counterpart in the C60. There has been a lot written on this forum about the performance of the Selita movement and it really comes down to luck as to the accuracy of an individual watch. The tolerance CW guarantee is quite wide. That said my impression is the vast majority are perfectly happy with the accuracy of their movements.
My C60 is on a strap and C65 on the bracelet. Before I write any more on the bracelet I think you should be aware that the C65 is a lot smaller on the wrist than the 43mm C60. I tend to wear my C60 at the weekends as to my mind it has a real sporty feel, probably enhanced by the fact it is yellow and I tend to wear it with rubber straps. The C65 on the other hand fits really well under a shirt cuff and is equally at home in the office or in 'the wilds.'
The bracelet on the C65 is IMO simply brilliant. It may not have the quality of the bracelet of my Seamaster 300 but it looks better. I do not have the tools to accurately measure it but the C65 tapers beautifully. It may be 22mm-18mm but someone else will have to confirm. The adjustment works really well and is ultra simple to use. It is not as good as the Seamaster's as Omega's system is smoother but is closer than the price difference suggests. I suggest you maybe have a look at one or two of these videos. Yes they are C60 reviews but the bracelet fitted to C60 and C65 are in essence the same - differing only in the shape of the end links.

https://youtu.be/AlXGnaKm3SA
https://youtu.be/gxcfwqbLAxc (A comparison with the Seamaster and both bracelets are discussed)

Hopefully someone else will be able to provide you with the actual numbers you are looking for.
Gordon
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by copemanphoto »

Hi Gordon, Thanks for the valuable info. and the links.
I do check my watches accuracy frequently just for entertainment purposes and to see if they need a service.
My C60 Bronze at 43mm is the largest watch I have. When I purchased it my wrist measured 7 3/8” and since then I have lost 22 pounds and my wrist shrunk to 6 7/8 “ but I can still pull off 43mm barely.
Recently I have tried to only purchase watches between 40-41mm so either of these 2 will fit quite nicely.
I just looked at the published CW range of acceptable accuracy and as you noted this is quite a large range. I think I got very lucky with my C60 Bronze, don’t know that I will get that lucky again so I am leaning towards the C65 Dartmouth but I am open to hearing what others have to say about their watches accuracy.
Cheers, Mike.
Cheers, Mike.
andyh41

Post by andyh41 »

Hi Mike,
I have a c65 trident auto and it runs about +8 secs per day, but my super compressor is about +13 secs per day :( - it’s just pot luck I think. The point is, I still love both watches. It’d be nice if they were more accurate (esp the SC), but they’re good enough. I guess if you think it’s likely the accuracy might annoy you, then go for the Dartmouth........ unless you prefer the look of the auto!
Andy
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

The C65 bracelets are 22 at the lug and taper to 18 (the clasp is 20).

The internal adjustment does work well but depending on fit you may find that you are either on the bottom end or the top end of the adjustment. There has been a lot of talk on the board that CW should add half links because ideally you would want to be in the center of the adjust so you can adjust up or down a few millimeters in each direction. The adjustment gives you about a links worth of adjustment (give or take about 10 mm). It is a simple push lever so it isn't fiddly.

The movement specs from CW are the factory specs from Sellita or ETA (most are Sellitas these days). I have four CWs 2 COSCs (both Sellita) and 2 regular (1 Sellita and 1 ETA). All of them are pretty accurate. My C60 LE (COSC) runs between 0 and +1. The Dartmouth runs at about +2 or +3. The SC runs at about +2 and the C65 GMT runs at +7. Overall everything has been pretty good. However, as you say, your mileage may vary. If you definitely can't live with +10 or 15 then the Dartmouth is the only answer without taking a chance.

Note: My timing runs are using the Watch Tracker app so they are accuracy on wrist.

I would say just go with whichever you think looks better for your aesthetic. They will fit the same (they have the same 41mm case). I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have on the Dartmouth.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by copemanphoto »

Hi Andy,
I guess I am going to have to get the Dartmouth as I can live with the published accuracy range. I like both dials but perceived accuracy will win out.
I have an older (2002) Breitling SO and a Tudor BB58 which are both less than -+1spd I also have a Tudor Ranger which was sent back under warranty to RSC twice at -15 spd and was in my mind unacceptable. RSC gave it the “sunshine and fresh air treatment” both times which did nothing to change the accuracy. My local watch maker regulated it to -3spd,.. that I can live with.
I do rotate my watches about every week or a month at a time, just depends on how I am feeling I guess, so reasonable accuracy is important.
Thanks to Gordon and Andy for your help/advice.
Cheers, Mike.
Cheers, Mike.