My New C60 Bronze Ombré has arrived

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

My New C60 Bronze Ombré has arrived

Post by J0EMI »

I have just received the watch, which I decided to buy to swap my C65 Bronze Ombré for and selling it, I bought the C65 having missed out on the Mk2 version of the C60 Bronze which came out a few years ago, so when this MK3 version was announced I preferred the meatier design which can be more of an every-day wear over the C65 which is more dressy. This isn't a review by any means but I just thought I would share my thoughts. To give you some sentimental back story, my C65 ombré was my first CW, and having become a dad for the first time recently I wanted a quality watch to give to my son one day, and discovering CW started that idea for me, being my first premium watch.

First impressions are very positive, superb build quality as expected, the brushed bronze suits the material alot better than the polished bronze of the C65, mine has developed a good patina over the last 6 months but I feel the polished sides don't lend to the aesthetic of the watch as it becomes a combination of patina and shine, I think the patina developing on the brushed bronze will add a much better aged look, I'm very much looking forward to seeing that develop.

One of the most surprising differences between the ombré dial on this new C60 as opposed to the C65 Ombré or even the Mk2 version of the C60 bronze ombré is that the tone of the dial has been toned down somewhat, it appears to be much darker in tone with less ombré graduating to the outside of the dial, whereas the C65 has much more copper. As well as this, the distressed scratched effect on the dial also seems less pronounced. I think at first I was a little disappointed in the difference in the tone of the dial compared to my C65, but upon putting it to natural light it certainly picks up the more copper tones, with it only being more muted indoors, which I think I am fine with, giving it more of an aged look without being intense all the time. The matte black ceramic bezel also feels much more premium this time around. Finally, I'm very happy with the lume, having been disappointed with the lume on my C65, here the Super Luminova grade is much more vibrant and lasts longer.

I managed to get the serial number 108/500 on request which I'm pleased about (my birthday is 10th of August :D). As for passing this C60 on to my son one day, I definitely think I have found the right watch now, but I think it's safe to say this will stay on my wrist for a long time to come before then :lol: I 'll put some photos below of the watch and some comparisons with the C65 Ombré, for anyone interested in this watch themselves.

20210408_184358.jpg
20210408_185918.jpg
20210408_185611.jpg
20210408_185711.jpg
20210408_184554.jpg
20210408_185439.jpg
20210408_200159.jpg
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: My New C60 Bronze Ombré has arrived

Post by tikkathree »

Nice write-up, thank you. I've looked at the C65 recently with that "buying eye". The two watches are quite different aren't they?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by CW257 »

I had the C65 and really liked it, but I didn’t wear it at all for about a year (owing to the pandemic mostly) and so I recently flipped it to free up money for another non-watch purchase.

I must admit I do miss it, and I can see myself buying another CW bronze in the future. As you say, it was a bit more on the dressier side than your new C60, which suited me a bit more.

Congratulations on the new purchase, and more importantly on the birth of your son. I’m sure it’ll make a wonderful gift once he gets older.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I fully expected to prefer the C65 Ombre before looking at the snaps, but I think the C60 looks better, different style, but better overall.

The applied markers on the MK3 Ombre definitely elevate it over the previous iteration.

Do you think there'll always be room for both moving forward given that they are very similar?

Edit. 1st and 3rd paragraphs sound like a bit of a contradiction, but you know what I mean :D
Ryan
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

It looks great! The real world shots make me want it even more. And it looks like CW prices have had another increase :-x
I should have jumped on this when it came out.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Great watch, any chance of a wrist shot?
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

jimbo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:53 pm Great watch, any chance of a wrist shot?
20210410_110306.jpg
20210410_085420.jpg
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

CW257 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:36 am
Congratulations on the new purchase, and more importantly on the birth of your son. I’m sure it’ll make a wonderful gift once he gets older.
Thank you, very nice of you to say :thumbup:
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Enjoyed the post and IMO you've made the right decision as well!! C60 Bronze Ombré is a great choice
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Sweeeeeet ! :) Ta
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

J0EMI wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 pmImage
Both those bronze Tridents are really nice and classy. Wow. If I had them in-hand which one would I keep? 8-[

The new C60 Bronze Brown/Blue Ombrés are a huge step up over the previous versions. The blue's metallic dial is something pretty special from the pictures I've seen. :shock:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

Very sharp watch. Congratulations! Looks great. Definitely prefer the subtle changes on the new version. What went into your decision on selecting the particular strap? I'm sort of torn between that strap and the distressed leather.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

MichaelMD wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:16 pm Very sharp watch. Congratulations! Looks great. Definitely prefer the subtle changes on the new version. What went into your decision on selecting the particular strap? I'm sort of torn between that strap and the distressed leather.

There were a few reasons for choosing the black canvas strap, one reason was that I already had the distressed leather when I got my C65 Ombré and honestly, I didn't like how it looked - the 'distressed' effect looked too forced and a bit busy to me, I ended up putting it with the vintage oak leather strap instead which looked better in my opinion for pairing it with a leather strap. I was also discouraged by quite a few people on here saying that the distressed leather effect peeled off over time. The main reason I went with the black canvas strap though is that for a watch with a bronze case and a bronze/brown dial, a brown leather strap looked far too much of the same tone, I think the black strap really sets off the matt black dial and balances the watch nicely.

Hope this helps.

Joe
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

J0EMI wrote:
MichaelMD wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:16 pm Very sharp watch. Congratulations! Looks great. Definitely prefer the subtle changes on the new version. What went into your decision on selecting the particular strap? I'm sort of torn between that strap and the distressed leather.

There were a few reasons for choosing the black canvas strap, one reason was that I already had the distressed leather when I got my C65 Ombré and honestly, I didn't like how it looked - the 'distressed' effect looked too forced and a bit busy to me, I ended up putting it with the vintage oak leather strap instead which looked better in my opinion for pairing it with a leather strap. I was also discouraged by quite a few people on here saying that the distressed leather effect peeled off over time. The main reason I went with the black canvas strap though is that for a watch with a bronze case and a bronze/brown dial, a brown leather strap looked far too much of the same tone, I think the black strap really sets off the matt black dial and balances the watch nicely.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Excellent points all around. Thanks for the feedback. What you said makes a lot of sense.

CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by CW257 »

J0EMI wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:36 pm

I was also discouraged by quite a few people on here saying that the distressed leather effect peeled off over time.
This happened to me and not "over time" but within the space of about two months. I wore it under my white work shirts and you could visibly see the faux-distress pattern rubbing off onto the cuff. Probably the only complaint I've had about any of my CW watches in fairness.