C60 Sapphire - Other Sizes

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TP Fit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

C60 Sapphire - Other Sizes

Post by TP Fit »

I just received my new Blue Sapphire. I tend to like watches that are at least 41mm and 43 looks really good on me (Oris Aquis). I have a 7.5 inch wrist so I can pull off larger size watches. Personally, a watch like the sapphire looks small on me and a little disappointed that it didn't wear larger on me like I was hoping. I really don't want to give it up but I may have to. Do you think CW will expand the sizes in this line? With the dial being the center point of this watch, I would expect it to show better if it was larger. Just my opinion on these points...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C60 Sapphire - Other Sizes

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

My wrist size and wearing preferences are similar to yours but, for the right watch I will gladly step down a millimetre or two on case size.

The factor with the C60 Sapphire is the steel bezel. This makes it wear on the small side. If it had a normal (black or blue) bezel you'd likely be fine.

Will there be a 42/43mm C60 Sapphire?

I'll be surprised if there is (my gut feeling) as CW have set their stall over the last couple of years, to be on the conservative side, case size wise.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Post by TP Fit »

Good point on the steel bezel. Something to consider in the future. I'll keep it for a week and decide. May have to try the Super Compressor... :D
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

TP Fit wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:47 am I just received my new Blue Sapphire. I tend to like watches that are at least 41mm and 43 looks really good on me (Oris Aquis). I have a 7.5 inch wrist so I can pull off larger size watches. Personally, a watch like the sapphire looks small on me and a little disappointed that it didn't wear larger on me like I was hoping. I really don't want to give it up but I may have to. Do you think CW will expand the sizes in this line? With the dial being the center point of this watch, I would expect it to show better if it was larger. Just my opinion on these points...
I agree. I always think you need a larger diver with a bezel because the watch itself is only about 36mm. I like 40+ in divers and chronographs.
For the same reason you don't really want a dressy watch any bigger than 40mm, because the watch itself is quite substantial.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I would live with it for a while. To some extent I think that your mind grooves into a certain look and when something is different your brain screams this is off but it really isn't.

For example:

Does this look too small?

20210218_152539497_iOS (2).jpg
This is my GMT Master 1675. The case is 38 and with the bezel 39 (it overhangs a bit), just a hair under 47 mm lug to lug. I also have a 7.5 in wrist. I don't think it looks small at all to my eye.

My only point being that our brains can play tricks on us when it comes to dimensions and proportions. Post some pics! You would get some honest feedback re size.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

rkovars wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:00 pm I would live with it for a while. To some extent I think that your mind grooves into a certain look and when something is different your brain screams this is off but it really isn't.
My only point being that our brains can play tricks on us when it comes to dimensions and proportions. Post some pics! You would get some honest feedback re size.
Spot-on! I would agree with this entirely. In general I have always preferred watches to be small light and slim, yet my most regular wearer is the Moonwatch which doesn’t particularly fulfil any of those characteristics. At 42 mm it is pretty much on my limit; I’ve tried watches that are slightly bigger but not with any great success.

If I put on a little gold 33 mm vintage for the evening, it might feel strange for a few minutes but I very soon get used to it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I agree it’s all about perception. I have a slightly smaller 7.25 in wrist and I tilt toward smaller watches out of preference. My dress watches tend to be 36-38mm. My sport watches, though bigger, are not the large watches, so 41 works for me. I have a 43mm C9 and it feels huge - until I wear it for some time. Then it feels comfortable.

Give your sapphire some time and you may find it is suitably sized as is.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Post by TP Fit »

Thanks for the feedback! You are correct, I have always gravitated towards larger watches and when I wear one slightly smaller, it feels alien to me. I will wear it and let it "grow" on me and then make the assessment. For further assessment, I have attached some watches of my most worn and favorite watches for some added perspective compared to the Sapphire. Let me know what you think.
Sapphire.jpg
C65.jpg
Aquis.jpg
all2.jpg
all1.jpg
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

If you’re asking for an honest opinion, I think the Sapphire looks fine, the Trident Diver is about on your limit and the Oris looks too big. But then I tend to prefer my watches smaller, slimmer and lighter.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Post by TP Fit »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:14 pm If you’re asking for an honest opinion, I think the Sapphire looks fine, the Trident Diver is about on your limit and the Oris looks too big. But then I tend to prefer my watches smaller, slimmer and lighter.
Yes, honest opinion...and thank you. Gives me some comfort that it is not too small. Although, I obviously prefer larger watches.
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by gannet »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:14 pm If you’re asking for an honest opinion, I think the Sapphire looks fine, the Trident Diver is about on your limit and the Oris looks too big. But then I tend to prefer my watches smaller, slimmer and lighter.
I'd go along with that too to be honest
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I think they all look great. Nothing wrong with a range of sizes. It is surprising how much a change of dial colour, strap choice or watch style can dramatically change the appearance in size, even in circumstances where the case may be the same size.

More importantly, do you have a shuffleboard at home!?
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

!00% aligned with what Steve as commented
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Post by TP Fit »

A1soknownas wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:43 pm I think they all look great. Nothing wrong with a range of sizes. It is surprising how much a change of dial colour, strap choice or watch style can dramatically change the appearance in size, even in circumstances where the case may be the same size.

More importantly, do you have a shuffleboard at home!?
Yes I do! Best addition to my home office with a dart board of course. :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

That trio of watches shows what a stunner the C60 Sapphire is as a watch. :clap: :clap:

Keep it. Full stop. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guy

PS> It looks fine by the way. :wink: :wink:
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England