Where’s CW on your ladder?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Where’s CW on your ladder?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Having kicked off a well supported thread on what other brands members own (which has been enthusiastically taken up for analysis way beyond the power of my poor brain!) I guess this question is a natural corollary or follow-up. Where do your CW watches fit in the context of your collection as a whole?

I know that there are people here whose collections are based mainly or even exclusively around CW. Mine isn’t, though they form an important part of my little bunch, and I guess I’m probably in the majority as far as that is concerned.

Looking again at my collection of modern watches, I have two that sit on a completely different level for all sorts of reasons. I won’t bore people by going into that again, but they are in the lower right quadrant. So, out of the eight watches in this box four of them are CWs. I guess the C65 Trident Diver and the Meistersinger are probably my Tier 2 watches. They will certainly come into their own during the summer and can expect plenty of wear. The other three CWs are likely to be worn much less frequently, but I do still enjoy them for the odd day or evening out.

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: Where’s CW on your ladder?

Post by oberonfoto »

I have more CW watches than any other make - 5-of my own and one for the wife - 2-EBs. So CW is top of my ladder - for now. Who knows something else may catch my eye but I’m happy just now.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Right at the top of mine, all other watches I own cost less...

In terms of emotional attachment, there are two which are higher though, a fossil (the blue) and a storm. The latter bought with a small inheritance, the former because I love its looks and was gutted when I broke it, but that's another story...
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I will always own a CW, so I suppose it's top for me.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

For me, CW plays on an equal footing with the other brands in my collection. As long as each watch brings something unique to the collection, in a way that I find appealing, then that's fine. It can be CW, Rolex, Omega or any other brand. But there is no doubting that CW is my favourite brand overall, just by looking at the numbers (12) vs those for other brands (Omega next at 4).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

I want to be careful what I say here because I really don't want to anyone to think that I have grown out of CW as a brand or anything. I still very much enjoy the brand, and they will always be the brand that got me into this crazy obsession. About 10 years ago, my small collection was all CWs, and then at another point, it was probably 50% of a larger collection. For a long time after that, I held on to 4 (out of 14) and now I am down to 2 (out of 12). I wear these two only occasionally now (a couple of days a month), but I am unlikely to part with them because they're both pretty special to me for their own reasons. I probably won't ever get back up to CW being half my collection, but I am eager for the day when I find myself grabbed once again by a new model. My guess is that it will be a C65 that does the trick as two of the models have come close in recent years.

Sinn, Grand Seiko, and Omega are probably my favorite brands at this point (along with A. Lange & Sohne, but we're talking realistic here :lol:). Towson Watch Company will be special to me because of its hometown connection. But CW is always going to have a leg up against other brands in that I am always going to return to it and be tempted by it in a way that I am not going to be by Hamilton, Oris, Magrette, Ball, or any other brand that I have moved on from.

Put another way, I don't visit any other watch forum, and there's a reason for that!
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

^^^ Interesting!
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I have a number of CWs all of which I cherish. With the exception of one CW purchase made early last year in a sale, all my other CWs were purchased before 2020. Nothing of the new CW collection appeals to me which leaves me these days looking elsewhere.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

I have owned 3 CW's and currently own two. Not looking for another and would only consider without the logo at 9. But just as importantly, my current two are keepers.

Over-hyped on here but that's expected and just stating the obvious.

Quality has improved but that was needed to match the increased price range..
'Tis me
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

By default, CW is top of the ladder but only by the number that I have (currently 7 +1 GF).
I think that Welshlad put it very well:
welshlad wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:42 am As long as each watch brings something unique to the collection, in a way that I find appealing, then that's fine.
At the end of the day, there is no denying that CW watches offer great value for money for what you're getting so will always have a place in my collection albeit the number may vary.
One thing that I have found over time is that, how can I put it, I'm more discerning about what I buy.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

welshlad wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:42 am For me, CW plays on an equal footing with the other brands in my collection. As long as each watch brings something unique to the collection, in a way that I find appealing, then that's fine.
^^ Fully aligned with Steve as his thought process mirrors mine. Whilst I am trying to downsize my collection to 3-4 watches there will always be a CW in it !
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

My current collection is split into 3 tiers:
5 Christopher wards and 2 Tudors in the top tier. Six autos, one quartz. These all get regular wear and rotation for quiet evenings at home, holidays and weekends. They are my top tier because they bring me the most pleasure and satisfaction when wearing them, two have particular sentimental value as well.
4 Seiko watches and a Tissot are in tier two. These tend to be my daily wear for work and general beating/bashing about. Only two autos here, the others are kinetic/quartz. Unfortunately, two of the Seikos are currently non-working and waiting to be sent in for repair/service.
2 Casio digital beaters are in my third tier. Cycling, jogging, workouts, hiking or climbing and these will be with me.

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

I have around 12 CW watches, starting with the C6 FLE and my wife a couple so I guess that numerically their on the top rung. I have about six or seven other brands which apart from my Omega Moonwatch cost less than my CW watches. But I must say that I'm drifting away from CW. No issue with the quality and price but therr output seem to be endless variations of the C60. All lovely watches but generally I'm not a dive watch collector. Many are and they are good business so nothing wrong there. They have interesting watches like the Moonglow, lovely watch but I classify these as a collector's watch and not something I'd regular wear. But still hoping.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I honestly don't know :?

If I pitted my only CW (C65 SC) against my GS, Aquis and Nomos models in the quality stakes, I'd be hard-pressed to choose a winner as they're all fantastic watches.

If I were thinking of brand however, I'd be inclined to go with GS > Oris/Nomos > CW.
Middle 2 are on a par in my book.

That said, I get just as much pleasure from wearing the CW as I do the rest.
Still confused :?
Ryan
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I always enjoy wearing my CW watches. I love the design of the C65 in particular.

For me, though, CW are world champions in the area of watchstraps, in particular their Cordovan watch straps.
I just cannot express too highly how good these straps are. Many Cordovan straps seem to be unlined. I prefer the lined straps with a sealed edge. I have never seen another Cordovan strap with QR pins, let alone the Bader/Omega style clasp. These are easily as good as say, an Omega Alligator strap at nearly 5 times the price. £100 plus is certainly a large amount to pay for a watch strap, but these are just wonderful straps.

So CW definitely stand alone on the top rung of the watchstrap ladder.