Where’s CW on your ladder?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Where’s CW on your ladder?

Post by gaf1958 »

For me it’s usually a case of CW and Omega vying for the top spot numerically with 20-something apiece. It changes from time to time, with CW winning out more often than not. Just at the moment though, I think Omega are the front runner by a small margin.

I enjoy wearing both brands (and all my others) but I have to say I enjoy the omegas more...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Where’s CW on your ladder?

Post by nbg »

Whilst I own more CWs than I own watches from any other individual brand, they don’t feature that often in watches that I wear on a regular basis.

On the basis that, other than a couple of decent dress watches with limited WR, I tend to gravitate to wearing my better watches on a daily basis, regardless of activity, that indicates to me that my CWs don’t play a significant role in my collection.

That said, I still really like a few of them and will always have a few for occasional wear.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Difficult question to answer since I find it multi-level.

I too have more CWs than any other brand and they get their share of wrist time, but I would say they form the middle ground of my stable. My higher end watches get worn less frequently but are more special while my lower end (mainly Seikos and tools) get worn for rougher stuff/activities.

Unhappily, the current CW range has nothing that I would add (much as I like the SuperCompressor it will not get worn) because my interest is in usable complications other than GMTs & chronographs. CW used to have good form on these which is what brought me on board but this has dropped off of CW's priorities it seems to me. Maybe that will change of course.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Right now I have one more Omega than I do CW. I have other brands too but Omega and CW share the most wrist time. I hope CW release something this year to even up the balance.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Mine currently runs:

1. Omega
2. Grand Seiko
3. Tudor
4. Oris
5. Christopher Ward/Seiko tied.

Im about to start my fire sale...since I picked up the Seamaster 300m and a BB58 within 3 weeks of each other....I couldn't pass up the price on the Omega lol.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Excluding my wife's CW, I own three which is equal with Tudor.

It was CW that really gave me the watch bug (the forum as well as the brand itself) so I'm sure I will always have a soft spot for the brand and own at least one (if not more).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Current range? The ladder isn't even in my garage since there is literally nothing that is of any interest to me and I've moved on.

'Classic' lineup? It's a 3 way dead heat between CW, Seiko and Bremont in numeric terms with 5 of each in my collection.

I'd say that CW is quite a few rungs below Bremont/Grand Seiko and maybe on the same step as the couple of Maurice Lacroix watches I own but several steps above general Seiko watches.

My C60 Trident Mk2s (43mm black GMT and 38mm blue on blue) and the C60 chrono are keepers, as is my C3 mk1. I'll likely sell my Bluebird. and call it a day with CW for now.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Although my collection contains watches at different price points, I don't think of them as being at different levels/rungs. I purchase them because I liked them and as such, until I I find that I'm not so keen, I'll still wear them and treat them as equally valuable.

This goes someway to explaining why I can be seen wearing my Tudor BBR when I really should be wearing my Casio G-Shock and why, if wearing the Casio and I realise I'll be doing something daft, I'll take it off to protect it. (As I do when I realise I'm wearing any watch that might come a cropper.)
Steve.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

In numbers terms, my CW is 1 of currently 11. For sure there is another CW in my nearer-future however. I always have an interest in what CW comes up with, even if it is a bit diver-focussed and there's only so many divers I want to have. I would LOVE to have an SH21 watch but so far they have all been that bit too big for my skinny wrist.
As for hierarchy, no such thing in my world insofar as they are all enjoyed for what they are and wouldn't be there if they were not watches I enjoy to wear.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Enkidu
CW-watches: 1

Post by Enkidu »

I've only got the single CW but here's my take on watches...

I'm pushing CW to the upper third in all the brands that I've owned for quality/value for dollar. I've owned and not in any order...Rolex, Casio, Seiko, AP, Omega, Panerai, Certina, Sinn, IWC, Tudor, Bell&Ross, Citizen, Swatch, Glycine, Tissot..whew!

Anyways, my heart favorite was always the rolex gmt 16710 and like a bad friend I sold it off after 8 years of owning.
When I got this C60 GMT it instantly reminded me of the 16710 in terms of fit and finish.

Now I'm not comparing CW to the current line up of rolex, that's quite a stretch there but still, I feel its an outstanding example of quality fit and finish, capabilities and of course the most attractive- price for value.

Its unfortunate that other watch heads I know poo poo the brand, very often without even handling one.
I dont have any experience with the prior models and I can say I wasn't a fan of the visuals cue like the tear drop hands but I kept them in mind and knew I'd get to owning one eventually. Recently by a very random post on another forum, I saw the MK3 and it cemented my decision to try one out.

Now most the higher end watches I had are good but there was always a bit of the "Look what I have and where I sit in the social sphere of life" aspect to me owning them. Come on, I never went diving with any of my submersible panerais.

Most people wouldn't recognize a 15400 but those that do- would.... and isn't that want we kinda want?

This watch is a stunner of looker but low key enough not to be rude. So I'll still get that dopamine hit when someone spots its and they go slightly slack jaw in awe and think to themselves "how did the that ugly monkey gets such a sweet watch?"
:lol:

I'm really looking forward to what is coming down the pike from CW
Celebrate Schadenfreude!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Enkidu wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm Most people wouldn't recognize a 15400 but those that do- would.... and isn't that want we kinda want?
Possibly, but if you only talking model numbers not many people will know what you’re on about. Any chance of a make and model name? Yes, I could probably google it but at this time of night I’m too lazy. :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:09 pm
Enkidu wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm Most people wouldn't recognize a 15400 but those that do- would.... and isn't that want we kinda want?
Possibly, but if you only talking model numbers not many people will know what you’re on about. Any chance of a make and model name? Yes, I could probably google it but at this time of night I’m too lazy. :lol:
One of these Steve.
5C657A2F-EC4E-488A-969A-63557DCD3781.jpeg
Another of the watches whose price is now driven by the must have and post pics on Instagram brigade.

How times change, as when I tried this on (but didn’t buy) 4 years ago there were no waiting lists. No good for swimming as it only has WR of 50m. :)

A nice watch, but not worth the hype.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

More CWs than any other brand, are they my favourite brand...? Despite the numbers Im unsure I have one. Fair to say they must be my No.1 at a price point and at the recent stage of my watch journey but maybe not overall.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

nbg wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:15 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:09 pm
One of these Steve.
5C657A2F-EC4E-488A-969A-63557DCD3781.jpeg
Another of the watches whose price is now driven by the must have and post pics on Instagram brigade.

How times change, as when I tried this on (but didn’t buy) 4 years ago there were no waiting lists. No good for swimming as it only has WR of 50m. :)

A nice watch, but not worth the hype.

Neil
Yes that's the one. Very nice watch especially the blue dial, super supple bracelet that caught alot of light and a bezel that was a terrible scratch magnet. If you got a scratch that went against the fine brushing, oh boy! it stood out.

As for pricing if I recall correctly they were going for around 10-12k used around 2013-14ish( msrp was $17k I think) but not now!!

the one I wish I was cognizant of at the time was End of Days, $13k in 1999 with only 500 made. Used it was going as high as $55k but has since dropped down to the low 30s. Granted its a 20 year chronograph now but still a looker.
Celebrate Schadenfreude!
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Numerically it looks like this:

1. CW
2. Omega
3. Seiko (incl a couple of MarineMaster 300 homages)
4. Brellum
5. Microbrand miscellany
6. Odds & Ends

Wear wise on a daily basis I try to alternate CW with Omega and find that pretty easy to do. I also try to manage full rotation within each brand and achieve this, mostly.

Not entirely the CW are C6 and C60 divers and not entirely the Omegas are Seamaster divers. I'm interested that there is a CW & Omega trend appearing in this thread.

Both brands include a few "small case" watches which nod towards the vintage.

I'm quietly surprised that there isn't a CW chronograph at the moment (I'm thinking wobblers here - C60 Big Blue or a Speedhawk) but maybe my 3-subdial needs are more than catered for by Omega (no Mk1 Speedmasters here though) and my 3 Brellum, two of which are limited editions and the third is my commissioned "retirement gift to self" watch.

There is a small cross-brand association of bronze/brass cases.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands