New C60 Bronze Ombré LE variant

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: New C60 Bronze Ombré LE variant

Post by welshlad »

Can I offer a slightly different perspective?

I didn't buy the Mk2 Ombre because I personally wasn't happy with the Mk2 case in bronze form. In Mk3 form it is a much more appealing watch to me, due to the different case design and slightly smaller size. So, for me and others in a similar boat, the Mk3 version gives rise an opportunity previously not available, or at least not optimal.

Having said that, having purchased a steel Ombre in the meantime, which crucially has the bracelet option, I won't rush into this purchase. But if there's a NN one in the future then I may be tempted.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

It has a zirconia ceramic bezel which on their website they have dubbed it as being 'non scratch', I'm not sure why they have described it in that way, as while it is durable it is by no means scratchproof.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

nbg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:25 pm Presumably those that bought the previous version bought it because they liked it! :)
As well as believing it was a limited run of a fairly unique design. Which as your post implies, it clearly wasn't. :o

Does anyone know when the next version of this LE will be announced? :(
'Tis me
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

Caller wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:49 pm
nbg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:25 pm Presumably those that bought the previous version bought it because they liked it! :)
As well as believing it was a limited run of a fairly unique design. Which as your post implies, it clearly wasn't. :o

I must admit that when I purchased my C65 Ombré LE, a part of the appeal for me was that the watch was unique in that it wasn't a watch that a considerable amount of people owned making it that much more special, but I think that came secondary to the fact I simply thought it was a beautiful watch and wanted to own it. I think that the problem with making newer/altered versions of LE isn't so much that the previous version is no longer as 'special' because more are being made that are similar, but simply that it seems slightly disingenuous for CW to market a watch as having a LE run as a key benefit to the purchase, only for them to make an altered version a few years later presumably because it sold well. Of course, there are definitely quite a few finer differences here between the MK2/3 here both visually and in materials that I and others have already mentioned, but at first glance seeing it on their website I thought it was the MK2 until I looked closer quite honestly.

There is probably also something to be said about the fact that it isn't very creative to revisit old designs instead of having new ideas. I haven't purchased a LE that has been 'brought back' but differently the way the C60 ombré has here, but just sharing my thoughts on how I would *possibly* find it annoying had it happened after I purchased one.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Caller wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:49 pm

The new model has a different case, hands, indices, date window, dial and bezel. It is like an updated celebration of the original based upon the new standard design.

Maybe they could have waited longer before looking back to the archives but this is bound to happen with previous limited editions as new model updates come around?

Personally I think it looks sharper, better finished and an upgrade. Which do you prefer, is that where some of the disappointment comes from?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

downer wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:30 am I can only assume that the disgruntled posters in this thread do not own LE Speedmasters. Omega release a new one to celebrate the opening of each and every pair of curtains. And a lot of them look virtually identical. ;)
. . . . or a VW Golf GTi Clubsport TCR Mk 5, 6, 7 or 8. :-k :-k

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

I am my own worst enemy on this one unfortunately, I think I would feel a bit misled by CW if a LE I owned was brought back slightly differently, but at the same time, I missed out on the Mk2 version of the C60 ombré when it was first released a few years ago, so I purchased the C65 Ombré instead because I couldn't get hold of it, now that they have released the new Mk3 version of the C60 ombré I actually think it looks even better - sharper, more refined and detailed, thus giving me a second chance to own it looking even better this time around, so I have ordered one, I am afraid I have to fall on my sword on this one :lol:
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Im departing with my MK2 Ombre in case you have nostalgia :) You know where to find it :)
I think I'll wait and see what the Mk4 looks like!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I like it, I think it's an improvement on the original.

I like bronze watches in any case (no pun intended).
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

strapline wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:39 am That's really nice, no complaints from me, but then I don't own the previous version. Did anyone mention that the new version has a framed date window, too? Really like the waterfall indices on this. The twin flag embossing makes the dial look more balanced imo.

Des
Agree. I really like this. Considering.....
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Personally I prefer the handset and the less textured dial of the first one.
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

I prefer the new one....got to get it past the wife!
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

To bring the C60 Bronze Ombre Mk2 vs Mk3 discussion back to the fore an excellent review has popped up on YouTube today;-

I've only watch about ten minutes of it so far, but fully intend to watch the rest (which is rare for me as I don't often watch YouTube watch reviews).

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by theemaadhatter »

Thanks Guy for sharing the video. I have tried to do the comparison justice. I really like my MK2, but was curious, as I suspect many were, about how it compares to the MK3. So I wore both for a few weeks and have done a deep dive. Part 2 will be coming next week which will get into the finer details. I will simply say to anyone who has commented or is wondering, they may share a general look, but they are starkly different watches. Happy to discuss any particular points or answer questions anyone might have. --Brian
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

Post by J0EMI »

theemaadhatter wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 am Thanks Guy for sharing the video. I have tried to do the comparison justice. I really like my MK2, but was curious, as I suspect many were, about how it compares to the MK3. So I wore both for a few weeks and have done a deep dive. Part 2 will be coming next week which will get into the finer details. I will simply say to anyone who has commented or is wondering, they may share a general look, but they are starkly different watches. Happy to discuss any particular points or answer questions anyone might have. --Brian
Brian, I was unaware you were on this forum - I owe you a big thanks. It was your original video review on YouTube of the C60 bronze MK2 which convinced me to purchase my first ever CW watch which was the C65 bronze, I loved the watch you were reviewing but unfortunately by the time I had come across your video it had been some time since you originally posted it so the limited edition run had long ended, so loving the idea of a bronze watch I got the C65 instead having the same dial too. Now the MK3 version has come out I actually prefer it to the MK2, so it has given me the opportunity to own the watch you introduced me to albeit with some differences. So thank you!