CW customer service vs Gnomon

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
medtech71
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

CW customer service vs Gnomon

Post by medtech71 »

So, I haven’t bought many watches in recent years as I have too many (my wife reminds me) and I prefer to spend money on my boys now, but I turned 50 recently and decided to treat myself. I always wanted a bronze watch and it came down to a C65 Ombre or a Steinhart nav-b with antique dial. I chose the Steinhart to save $500 Cdn, and went with Gnonom since I had heard good things....wrong! First, while ordering, I checked off registered mail for my shipping option - they sent it DHL anyways. I emailed them to ask why and received zero response, and got charged $32 Cdn from the courier for my troubles. I was a little miffed, but whatever, my watch arrived pretty fast and I was happy. Then I opened the box....they sent a Nav-b, but the wrong dial colour. I emailed their ‘customer service’ with a picture and they promptly sent me the paperwork for a return - no apology, no anything. Fine, I sent it back (not convenient since DHL is like, ‘we’ll be there between 9 am and 7 pm and someone has to be there to turn it over’). I saw that it arrived at their store on Monday....well now, today is Thursday - nothing...no update, not even a confirmation from them that they had received it. I am not sure what’s happening now? Are they are sending the right one now? Are they going to dispute my return? Are they going to issue a refund? No idea....and no one will even answer my emails.

Contrast this with CW, and a few years ago I bought a moonphase that had a noticeable piece of dust on the dial face. I am not particularly OCD, but this was obvious. I emailed CW and they paid for me to ship it back, apologized profusely, gave me an option to chose a different dial colour if I wanted....all before I had even sent the damaged one back. This was back in the Wera days (she was amazing)....I have no idea how this will play out, but now I damn sure regret not getting the C65 Ombre...
Rolex DateJust 126300 slate grey dial, Rolex 216570 Explorer II Polar, Rolex 16610 Submariner, Omega AT small seconds 2 tone, CW Worldtimer, Seiko Cocktail time, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Orient USA white
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: CW customer service vs Gnonom

Post by exHowfener »

It seems that any thread praising CW's customer service is destined to wither and die ...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I've had no problems with CWs customer service, but I have only needed to contact them once and it was excellent, so I can only rate it 100%.
I largely skim over the threads that bring them to task.

But always glad to see, happy customers.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

exHowfener wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:25 pm It seems that any thread praising CW's customer service is destined to wither and die ...
That's a reflection on society.

Ten years ago, when walking the pilgrim route to Santiago in Spain, I came across a little notice:

El turista exige, el peregrino agradece

(The tourist demands, the pilgrim says thank you)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

exHowfener wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:25 pm It seems that any thread praising CW's customer service is destined to wither and die ...
This one seems to be praising CS too though doesn't it? Maybe the thread lives on in another form!
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Clearly, in this day and age, in a very competitive market, what sets brands apart is their Customer Service and specifically how they deal with any issues.
I gather, and take, from this post that Gnonom are rubbish and CW are very good.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I've had to return 2 CWL watches for repair. Both were my fault and CWL repaired them no charge.

One of the two became magnetized going through airport security at Kahului airport on Maui. It ran like a gazelle being chased by a leopard after that. I did offer to pay CWL for the repair but in a typical bit of British logic they claimed since there was no repair invoice then there was nothing to pay.....

Regardless of the payment/non payment option they've been excellent with me.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

I can't comment either way - I've never had to contact them regarding service or faults...

It is great to hear good experiences though
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

medtech71 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:56 pm I have no idea how this will play out, but now I damn sure regret not getting the C65 Ombre...
Perhaps when you lean in at Gnomon they will issue you a full refund (including the $32 from DHL) and you can immediately deploy against the C65 Ombre!

My CW customer service experience has always been outstanding!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

CW customer service seems to have improved. The problems mainly seemed to be more about technical issues and communication than outright incompetence, but there was always a sense that some of the staff didn't really know what they were doing.

Lately, the staff seem to be much better informed.
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by borderman »

I had to use CW customer service last week after a technical mix up (not my fault) which was
promptly sorted :thumbup:

Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Never had an issue with CW service. They are always helpful.

I ordered a peccary strap in the NN strap sale. I ordered tan with red backing, and they sent tan with blue backing. The blue strap was completely unworn and I realised you can't actually see the backing anyway. They found a red one, and sent me a mailer to swap it, but I have decided to keep the blue one, which they said was fine.

I also bent a collar trying to resize my C65 bracelet. They sent me two collars and pins to replace the damaged one, which is great. Mind you, I think they ought to ship a few extra pins and collars with every bracelet. They can't cost more than pennies, and they are so useful to have.

Quality control is a different issue. Some of the decoration, alignment and cleaning faults pointed out just shouldn't happen. They must check the operation of every watch, surely?

My Montblanc came with a 500 hour test. It was virtually second-hand by the time they finished with it.
https://deployant.com/500-hours-test-mo ... es-harder/
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

The comparison is a bit odd. One is a small watch dealer in Singapore. The other an online watch manufacturer in the UK.

On saying that, I can vouch for the difficulty in getting a reply from Gnomon. When allowed, it would probably be quicker for me to hop on a plane and ask then in person!
'Tis me
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

CW customer service vs Gnonom

Post by Robotaz »

That’s odd about Gnomon. I’ve never had a problem. I recently asked about how to use my accrued points and got a courteous email telling me I had used the wrong login info. That email from them was found in my spam folder, so maybe you might find replies there.
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I dont know the setup at CW but I find it impossible to get through to sales (option 3 on the phone). It rings and eventually asks you to leave a message at which point I hang up.

I rang numerous times with no joy over a few days as I had a couple of queries as I wanted to make a further few purchases (straps, bracelet and watch). In the end I sent an online message and to their credit got an email response the next day.

As a customer spending a couple of thousand pounds with them over a 2 week period my initial feelings are pretty disappointed as I wanted that personal touch but at least I got an email. Thats my experience with them, kind of it is what it is but underneath I felt a little disappointed. I might ring again tomorrow and leave a message to see if and when they return the call as I still have a question about another watch I want to purchase

I hope this is relevant to this thread