New limited edition releases

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: New limited edition releases

Post by Mikkei4 »

simmo140 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:31 am The sub dial that looks like a rev counter still bugs me. The "red line" should be between 50 and 60 seconds, not 60 and 10. Opportunity missed. Saying that I have one and like it very much.
I've been thinking about this since the same comments were posted about the earlier release.

My thought is that many race car engines require relatively high engine revs (above 10x100 = 1000rpm), in comparison to our standard road cars that tick over sweetly at about 750rpm. If the racing car driver didn't keep the revs over the 1000rpm indicated by the red zone then it would stall. The highest rev range would be shown by a red needle/hand that would be set pre-start up at the upper permitted engine rpm and this was moved by the rpm hand thus showing if the driver took it over the "danger" rpm.

This is used on the single seater cars that you can drive on a day's racing school at Brands Hatch and other courses.

So the watch dial's red area is not from 60-10, it's from 0-10 thus simulating, as best as possible, the racing car dial's anti-stall low rev range.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 am I've been thinking about this since the same comments were posted about the earlier release.

My thought is that many race car engines require relatively high engine revs (above 10x100 = 1000rpm), in comparison to our standard road cars that tick over sweetly at about 750rpm. If the racing car driver didn't keep the revs over the 1000rpm indicated by the red zone then it would stall. The highest rev range would be shown by a red needle/hand that would be set pre-start up at the upper permitted engine rpm and this was moved by the rpm hand thus showing if the driver took it over the "danger" rpm.

This is used on the single seater cars that you can drive on a day's racing school at Brands Hatch and other courses.

So the watch dial's red area is not from 60-10, it's from 0-10 thus simulating, as best as possible, the racing car dial's anti-stall low rev range.
:clap: Thanks for this explanation.
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by borderman »

Just ordered the new AMGT with black bezel looks nice :thumbup:

Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

borderman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 am Just ordered the new AMGT with black bezel looks nice :thumbup:

Dave
Nice one Dave !! :clap: 8)
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by borderman »

MiniMpi wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:50 am
borderman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 am Just ordered the new AMGT with black bezel looks nice :thumbup:

Dave
Nice one Dave !! :clap: 8)
Cheers Ferg looking forward to getting it pics when it arrives :D

Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

Incoming !
CW C65 AM 2VEV LE.jpg
2VEV on Bracelet & spare Red/Black Hybrid - exploiting the current Voucher !
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
robdoe1993
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 28

Post by robdoe1993 »

Also very tempted by the black bezel on the 2 VEV, particularly with being able to use the Loupe voucher on the the bracelet version :thumbup:
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

robdoe1993 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:37 pm Also very tempted by the black bezel on the 2 VEV, particularly with being able to use the Loupe voucher on the the bracelet version :thumbup:
I went one stage further than 'tempted' with the bracelet / voucher combo
Cheers now, Paul
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:05 pm I’m a bit miffed by this, to be honest. When I acquired my C65 AM GT LE, it was marketed as CW’s last quartz offering....apparently until it’s NOT their last quartz offering.

That being said, the AM GT LE was a much better buy, as it had more timing options and COSC certification!

The black bezel is nice, but I’m partial to the silver of my AM GT LE.
I thought CWL had done away with quartz! Not good telling folk this is the last ever quartz then a few months later bring out a couple of new ones is not good!
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

I have neither motorsport, chronograph or quartz.. and this black bezel variant does look very tempting indeed... guess being a limited run, will need to decide relatively quickly :lol:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Well done everyone who ordered one of the new variants :clap:
The black bezel versions looks fantastic I must say.

I do hope the black bezel is constructed differently to the first generation C70 bezels which were extremely damage prone...
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

oberonfoto wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:55 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:05 pm I’m a bit miffed by this, to be honest. When I acquired my C65 AM GT LE, it was marketed as CW’s last quartz offering....apparently until it’s NOT their last quartz offering.

That being said, the AM GT LE was a much better buy, as it had more timing options and COSC certification!

I thought CWL had done away with quartz! Not good telling folk this is the last ever quartz then a few months later bring out a couple of new ones is not good!
I think this issue of 'last ever' quartz watch could turn out to be quite open-ended, probably determined by sales figures no less.

This is what CW say from their own site: 'And as Christopher Ward moves towards a mechanical-only future, one of the last quartz timepieces we’ll ever produce.'

Doesn't seem completely finite or committal.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

MiniMpi wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:28 pm Well done everyone who ordered one of the new variants :clap:
The black bezel versions looks fantastic I must say.

I do hope the black bezel is constructed differently to the first generation C70 bezels which were extremely damage prone...
Its definitely different to the painted bezel of the early C70 GP Series, which were a complete ding magnet.

The finish, from CW's website description is;- "Black DLC steel bezel with Tachymeter markers in white lacquer"

Looking at the photos I assess it to be the same as the bezel and case back finish on the C60 Chronograph, accepting that has a ceramic bezel insert.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
bonecrusher
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by bonecrusher »

Just ordered the v2 on steel. Very excited, and using the code only £500 which is quite a bit cheaper than an equivalent Certina using a similar movement. I owned (now sold) one of the C7 IRRs - in my experience these things simply don't lose or gain time at all. That one was chronometer certified however, i think it was the .251 movement. I like a chrono with a central minutes register for the chronograph.
James

CW Trident mk3
CW AMGT 2VEV
Sinn 103 a sa b
Too many Seikos
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

oberonfoto wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:55 pm

Agreed! I’ve been composing an email to Mike France in my head over this. Not simply to moan and groan, but to make him aware of my frustration over this. The fact that the AM GT LE was marked as the last quartz offering was a factor in my decision to get one. Not THE factor, but a factor none the less.

This doesn’t diminish the watch for me, but it does bother me. As minor a factor as it may be, I feel there’s still an element of bait and switch, so to speak.
Drew