New limited edition releases

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: New limited edition releases

Post by Lavaine »

These are really nice. Especially the DLC bezel. However, there is one thing I just can't get past: Why is the (rather bad) model name on the bezel? It just looks incredibly awkward. Apparently I'm the only one bothered by this, so I'll just chalk it up to my own personal weirdness. I think everyone that ordered one is getting a heck of a bargain TBH.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Lavaine wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:20 am However, there is one thing I just can't get past: Why is the (rather bad) model name on the bezel? It just looks incredibly awkward
I thought the same thing. I’m glad they didn’t do that with the AM GT LE.
Drew
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

And here I thought that the C65 AM GT LE model name was Tachymeter. :escape:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

If I didn't already have the original AM GT, I might consider one of the new versions. However, after hours of deliberation I do not think the VEV models offer enough differentiation from the AM GT to be additive to my collection at this time. However, if I ever across a very signicantly dicounted VEV 2 I would probably grab it.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Nice watches, these latest quartz AM LEs. While I find them very appealing, I’m not in a position to rationalize more watch purchases currently. I hope those who take the leap enjoy these two. As for the “last ever” status, I’m reminded of either Cadillac or Chrysler declaring some ‘70s model as their last ever convertible car. When the company reintroduced convertibles less than a decade later some people were upset that the collectibility of the previous “last ever” models were diminished in value. There won’t truly be a “last ever” until a company goes defunct. And even then, dead brands get purchased by newliy inspired people and revitalized, as with Avanti, Bugatti, or Mini.

Anyone have the secret decoder ring to clue me in on “VEV” or have I been obtuse?
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

These are attractive watches. But, I already have the AM GT. I'm satisfied...it's the quartz I wear if I'm in the mood for my Speedie but I'm not in the mood to wind it and set it.

That mess of writing on the bezel....yuck.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

thomcat00 wrote:

Anyone have the secret decoder ring to clue me in on “VEV” or have I been obtuse?
VEV relates to the registration numbers, 1 VEV, 2 VEV, 3 VEV and 4 VEV of the original Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagota as raced at Le Man's back in the day.

Guy

NB> I think it was the four cars.

https://astonmartins.com/car/db4-gt-zagato/

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
bonecrusher
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by bonecrusher »

nburgess wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:50 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm
nburgess wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:09 pm
Guy, In your experience, how does DLC coating tend to hold up against scratches and dings ? Is it pretty hardy stuff ?
Not having had anything with this coating, I have no idea.
The reason being, I've provisionally asked Vallen to hold a certain serial number for me (which she's very kindly done).
I'm not planning to wear it as a beater or anything like that, but would like a watch that I don't have to treat with kid gloves.
Bottom line, I have no issue with DLC as, arguably it is a tougher finish that basic 316L Stainless Steel.

This article from StrapCode is worth a read;- PVD versus DLC coatings

From a personal experience point of view, shortly after I bought my C8 M2.04 Concorde LE (Charcoal DLC case), I was wearing it and reached into one of my under worktop kitchen cupboards to put a saucepan away. Retracting my hand I caught the case of the watch on a corner of one of the door hinges. :shock: :shock:

Fearing the worst, I checked the watch and found there wasn't a mark on it. :) :)

Buy with confidence and, to put my money where my mouth is (so to speak) Vallen has a reserved serial number for a 2 VEV waiting for me too. :wink: :wink:

Guy
Ha, great minds!
Many thanks for this though, Guy. I think I may very well proceed. I do actually have a couple of quartz chronos but one (Dan Henry 1962) is a tad small, but I do love the look of. And the other (mk3 C7) I do wear, but not too often, so do often put it into sleep mode, which kinda defeats the object of a grab & go. But I could really do with a super accurate grab & go..one that I'll use.
How accurate is the Seiko Mechaquartz in that Dan Henry? I am thinking of buying a Nezumi which uses the same movement I think.
James

CW Trident mk3
CW AMGT 2VEV
Sinn 103 a sa b
Too many Seikos
nburgess
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by nburgess »

bonecrusher wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:50 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm

Bottom line, I have no issue with DLC as, arguably it is a tougher finish that basic 316L Stainless Steel.

This article from StrapCode is worth a read;- PVD versus DLC coatings

From a personal experience point of view, shortly after I bought my C8 M2.04 Concorde LE (Charcoal DLC case), I was wearing it and reached into one of my under worktop kitchen cupboards to put a saucepan away. Retracting my hand I caught the case of the watch on a corner of one of the door hinges. :shock: :shock:

Fearing the worst, I checked the watch and found there wasn't a mark on it. :) :)

Buy with confidence and, to put my money where my mouth is (so to speak) Vallen has a reserved serial number for a 2 VEV waiting for me too. :wink: :wink:

Guy
Ha, great minds!
Many thanks for this though, Guy. I think I may very well proceed. I do actually have a couple of quartz chronos but one (Dan Henry 1962) is a tad small, but I do love the look of. And the other (mk3 C7) I do wear, but not too often, so do often put it into sleep mode, which kinda defeats the object of a grab & go. But I could really do with a super accurate grab & go..one that I'll use.
How accurate is the Seiko Mechaquartz in that Dan Henry? I am thinking of buying a Nezumi which uses the same movement I think.
I've never actually tested it to be honest, but it looks to be spot on and I've never felt the need to alter the time, in the 6 or so months I've had it.
Which Nezumi are you looking at btw? Before getting the DH, it was a toss up between that and the Nezumi Loews - although I did like the look of the Corbeau too.
On a side note, I may have a DH 1962 (Panda) up for grabs soon :wink:
Neil
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Decided I wasn’t too bothered about a specific number, so I’ve just placed an order for the 1 VEV on bracelet using the £100 voucher.

Confirmation email received within seconds.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

TheBeatles wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:24 am Decided I wasn’t too bothered about a specific number, so I’ve just placed an order for the 1 VEV on bracelet using the £100 voucher.

Confirmation email received within seconds.
Be interested to see how long before its actually dispatched ... I think they had a real rush of Orders yesterday ... still waiting for the one I ordered circa 11.00 Thursday to be dispatched !
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:30 am
thomcat00 wrote:

VEV relates to the registration numbers, 1 VEV, 2 VEV, 3 VEV and 4 VEV of the original Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagota as raced at Le Man's back in the day.

Guy

NB> I think it was the four cars.

https://astonmartins.com/car/db4-gt-zagato/

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
So will there be 3 VEV and 4 VEV "last" issue quartz watches released by CW ? :silent:
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

undetterred wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:32 pm This forum has a habit of emptying your wallet.
Very much so.

Yesterday evening I was scampering around finding my credit card and the voucher code thinking "I must get 1 of the 2VEV on bracelet with the black/red hybrid". Definitely these watches are at excellent prices using the voucher if the design is attractive to you.
But I decided to wait till this morning to make a decision especially as I have a NN blue Dartmouth still in it's box but being returned to CW for refund after the weekend.

This morning I realised I didn't really totally like the VEV watches so neither wanted nor needed one and I would have been swayed to buy partly due to the responses on this Forum and also that these are LE watches. Thankfully I waited and I'll have £600 to go towards something else that I'm yet to see.
bonecrusher
Senior
Senior

Post by bonecrusher »

nburgess wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:42 am
bonecrusher wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:50 am

Ha, great minds!
I've never actually tested it to be honest, but it looks to be spot on and I've never felt the need to alter the time, in the 6 or so months I've had it.
Which Nezumi are you looking at btw? Before getting the DH, it was a toss up between that and the Nezumi Loews - although I did like the look of the Corbeau too.
On a side note, I may have a DH 1962 (Panda) up for grabs soon :wink:
Voiture I think. The only thing putitng me off is the 24 hour sub-dial - I just can't see the point of it. If only it could be set independantly it would be an excellent sporty GMT.
James

CW Trident mk3
CW AMGT 2VEV
Sinn 103 a sa b
Too many Seikos
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

who will be the first to get and post one of the new ones then? I ordered at 9.00 yesterday but no despatch so far.
Cheers now, Paul