Super Compressor on an after market bracelet

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Super Compressor on an after market bracelet

Post by Wiggles »

Just thought somebody may be interested. I bought the watch on a strap, because the bracelet version was another £100. I didn't want to keep it on the strap because being of a light colour I knew it would get ruined. I then put it on the strap in the photos, but unfortunately the leather started to peel. The bracelet on it's own from CW is £165, which I consider outrageous. I ended up buying a Geckota vintage riveted bracelet in their sale, and not only is great value, I believe it looks even better than the stock version, and believe the fact the end link doesn't meet the case suits the vintage design
Attachments
Chris Ward SC 3.jpg
Chris Ward SC 2.jpg
Chris Ward SC 1.jpg
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Super Compressor on an after market bracelet

Post by jkbarnes »

Looks good!

Another forum member has a beads of rice bracelet (I believe from Watchgecko?) for his SC that I think is the absolute perfect bracelet with the SC!

And I agree 100% about the straight end links. Normally I only like fitted end links. But with the particular shape of the lugs on the SC and it’s vintage inspired aesthetic, the straight end links are a perfect match.

EDITED TO ADD: I think the CW bracelet is just too modern looking for the SC.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Looks terrible, sorry.

Its not too bad that the end link is not fitted, although it will let the watch move about, but the end link is noticeably fatter than the lugs it sits within; creating an imbalanced look.

Not for me.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Yup. Each to their own but I very much prefer the OEM integrated bracelet.
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Does the clasp have the facility for on the wrist, tool free, quick adjustment?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Wiggles wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:54 pm The bracelet on it's own from CW is £165, which I consider outrageous.
Compared to what? That will get you a single link at mid level brands. CW bracelets are a bargain in comparison.

Cheaper bracelets, in my experience, don't have an internal tool-less mircro-adjust, QR spring bars or a machined clasp (they are usually pressed metal). CW bracelets have all of these. And you would have gotten it for 100 if you bought it up front (your own admission) - see Downer's Rules.

I think the SC lives best on the tropic rubber, a NATO or a leather strap myself.

Rubber strap from Vario. The orange stitching matches the hour hand and accents really well. It is easily one of the most comfortable straps I own. Only down side is no QR spring bars.
IMG_1877 (2).jpg

Mai-Tai NATO from Worn and Wound. They just dropped a rust colored one that might be a bit better matched but the Mai-Tai is still quite good.
IMG_1866 (2).jpg

CW Tropic rubber in black.
IMG_1811 (2).jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

nbg wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:41 pm Does the clasp have the facility for on the wrist, tool free, quick adjustment?

Neil
No, the clasp on the stock bracelet is better, but for the considerable amount I saved, I can live with that. I owned my C60 Trident Pro for four years, and never actually used that feature.
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

rkovars wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:48 pm
Wiggles wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:54 pm The bracelet on it's own from CW is £165, which I consider outrageous.
Compared to what? That will get you a single link at mid level brands. CW bracelets are a bargain in comparison.

Cheaper bracelets, in my experience, don't have an internal tool-less mircro-adjust, QR spring bars or a machined clasp (they are usually pressed metal). CW bracelets have all of these. And you would have gotten it for 100 if you bought it up front (your own admission) - see Downer's Rules.

I think the SC lives best on the tropic rubber, a NATO or a leather strap myself.

Rubber strap from Vario. The orange stitching matches the hour hand and accents really well. It is easily one of the most comfortable straps I own. Only down side is no QR spring bars.
IMG_1877 (2).jpg

Mai-Tai NATO from Worn and Wound. They just dropped a rust colored one that might be a bit better matched but the Mai-Tai is still quite good.
IMG_1866 (2).jpg

CW Tropic rubber in black.
IMG_1811 (2).jpg
Because other manufacturers charge ludicrous amounts for their bracelets, doesn't mean that CW ones are reasonably priced. I very much suspect their bracelets are manufactured in China and cost less than $20. The one on my C60 Trident Pro was nothing to write home about, and didn't even have screw links. The clasp was excellent though. I think your Super Compressor looks great on that nato, so good choice !
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:15 pm Looks terrible, sorry.

Its not too bad that the end link is not fitted, although it will let the watch move about, but the end link is noticeably fatter than the lugs it sits within; creating an imbalanced look.

Not for me.

Guy

Everyone to their own. However, I just had a look at my Davosa Argonautic on it's stock straight end bracelet, and the points you have made are more exaggerated on it than my Super Compressor.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I think that looks pretty good. I still prefer the integrated look of the OEM, but the straight case lug cutout makes these type of bracelets work well. I didn’t even notice the slight thickness variance until it was mentioned, and it doesn’t bother me.

I’ve always been annoyed at the cost of OEM bracelets. However, I do think that CWs current bracelets are leaps and bounds ahead of most other bracelets for similarly priced watches in terms of quality, and the price of just the bracelet is equal or lower than most too.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Wiggles wrote:

Not for me.

Guy

Everyone to their own. However, I just had a look at my Davosa Argonautic on it's stock straight end bracelet, and the points you have made are more exaggerated on it than my Super Compressor.

That's not to say it's right.

Remind me not to buy a Davosa Argonautic. :wink:

Guy

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:01 pm
Wiggles wrote:

Not for me.

Guy

That's not to say it's right.

Remind me not to buy a Davosa Argonautic. :wink:

Guy

Aagghh, it's a great watch, honestly, and it arrived running +1spd. One of the best tool divers out there
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I think it looks good.

I'm not sure on CWs latest bracelets, I removed mine from the Lympstone and it feels thinner and less solid than the 2 on my Mk 2 Tridents.
I would have to remove those to check, but first impressions, were that the quality has gone down.
But for the price, when buying a watch from CW, I'll always go for the bracelet option, even if the newer ones have dropped in quality, because the functionality of the clasp adjustment and quick release pins, mean it's still a great option.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Interesting that the "third party seller" you bought this from offered a choice of leather strap/CW bracelet.
I don't think that leather straps get ruined all that easily, as I wear leather boots and shoes all the time and they look great with a little TLC. It sounds like you bought the Geckota bracelet just for this; that being the case personally I would have 'bit the bullet' and paid the £100 extra rather than get a leather strap I wouldn't use, but if you're happy with the bracelet and how it looks that's really all that matters isn't it?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

magicman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:21 pm I'm not sure on CWs latest bracelets, I removed mine from the Lympstone and it feels thinner and less solid than the 2 on my Mk 2 Tridents.
I would have to remove those to check, but first impressions, were that the quality has gone down.
I feel the same. The older bracelet (non-QR) for my C65 Trident Vintage has a “feel” to it that the more current bracelet for my C65 AM GT LE doesn’t have. I will admit it’s a purely subjective thing and most likely all in my head.

All that being said, I think CW bracelets in general are top notch and worth the price when compared like-for-like with other bracelets. I’m such a fan of the on the fly micro-adjustment that moving forward, I WON’T consider a bracelet without it. In fact, when I ordered a bracelet from Strapcode for my inexpensive Seiko diver, I spent the extra money to get the one with the micro adjuster. And Strapcode’s implementation is not as nice.
Drew