Question on cosc certification

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Question on cosc certification

Post by stefs »

Can anyone shed any light on this one for me...?

How can I tie together the cosc certificate that came with my sandhurst with the watch itself?
I have a warranty card with my watch serial number but the cosc cert only references the movement number as far as I can see.

Surely there should be a way on knowing that the certificate relates to my watch? Either the cosc cert also showing the watch serial number or the warranty card showing the movement serial within the watch.

Am I missing something?
Thanks for any answers.
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Question on cosc certification

Post by timor54 »

I understand that the cosc certificate is only for the movement. That tested movement is then put into a watch with its own serial number. This could be actually some considerable time after the movement was certified.

I guess the only solution to your requirement would be for the watch manufacturer to supply a warranty card with both the case serial number and the cosc movement number. I’m guessing this is an administrative/assembly overhead that CW and other manufacturers won’t stomach?
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

COSC is always carried out on uncased movements, Paul.

I think the Rolex equivalent is for the whole watch.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Bremont seem to use the movement serial number for the watch serial number. Not sure if this is across their range but here’s a macro photo of mine showing the case and watch movement through the display back. Hard to focus fully but it’s clear enough to show my point.

This means the COSC certificate also has the serial number of the watch on it, however it does say it’s the movement number, not the watch.
AAE8CFEE-2C93-41D4-9DA4-3C842D74F052.jpeg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Ok I see.
So I assume that cw must maintain a register of which movement serial number relates to which watch serial number?
Otherwise they could just have a box of cosc certs and just put one in with each chronometer. I should add I am not suggesting for a moment they would do this.
So if they have that info why not tie it up on the warranty card and customer paperwork?

I wonder if there are many out there with non matching certificates not that owners would know?
I have had both breitling and omega chronometers in the past and these did tie up the serial with the cosc movement
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
downer

Post by downer »

A recent discussion on this topic... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55820

From that, I think it is clear that CW attempt to supply matched COSC certificates and movements - as you'd expect.
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

stefs wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:20 pm Ok I see.
So I assume that cw must maintain a register of which movement serial number relates to which watch serial number?
Otherwise they could just have a box of cosc certs and just put one in with each chronometer. I should add I am not suggesting for a moment they would do this.
So if they have that info why not tie it up on the warranty card and customer paperwork?

I wonder if there are many out there with non matching certificates not that owners would know?
I have had both breitling and omega chronometers in the past and these did tie up the serial with the cosc movement
I guess your quick way of checking is to email CW.

Provide them with details of the watch serial number and ask them to provide you with a note of the movement serial number and COSC certificate number that relates to your watch.

They must have a process to match them up.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Dont get me wrong Richard. I have no reason at all to think there could be any error and no reason to suggest that cw would would not play with a straight bat but without an exhibition caseback through which you could view the movement and hopefully the movement ref no then there is no way a customer could tie the two together or know if there was an error.
Just seems a strange way to deal with chronometer watches but maybe thats just me. If I were to ask for cw to confirm the movement number for my watch would I be safe to assume they could do that?
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
downer

Post by downer »

stefs wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:44 pm Dont get me wrong Richard. I have no reason at all to think there could be any error and no reason to suggest that cw would would not play with a straight bat but without an exhibition caseback through which you could view the movement and hopefully the movement ref no then there is no way a customer could tie the two together or know if there was an error.
Just seems a strange way to deal with chronometer watches but maybe thats just me. If I were to ask for cw to confirm the movement number for my watch would I be safe to assume they could do that?
I agree, without an exhibition back it is impossible to tell, but I guess that applies to all chronometers with solid backs where the chronometer certificate is supplied.

As to whether or not CW keep records cross referencing movement numbers with case numbers.... who knows? I'd like to think they do, but...

On the subject of COSC certificates, I'm struggling to think of other brands who still actually supply them. I think Breitling used to do it, but I'm not sure they still do. Similarly Omega used to supply a card but I'm not sure they still do?
Richard
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

My breitling watches have had paper certificates. My older omegas had the red card certificates with both numbers but the more recent railmaster was different in that you could register as an owner and you could view all the cosc results on line via your serial number.. gone the same way as car servicing and mot certs I guess.
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

downer wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:29 pm A recent discussion on this topic... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55820

From that, I think it is clear that CW attempt to supply matched COSC certificates and movements - as you'd expect.
I can confirm that CW do indeed try to keep the correct COSC certificate with the movement/watch, but occasionally things do go awry. I was only able to spot the issue as the movement number is visible through the exhibition case back. I have other COSC watches but can’t check if the movement matches the certificates, as they are solid case backs.

CW have been excellent, have obtained a replacement (duplicate) certificate from Switzerland,which is on its way to me now :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
helicopter pat
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 11

Post by helicopter pat »

when I managed to get my Spitfire P7350 from the secret drawer a couple of years ago the certificate was attached to the watch as were a few others in there.