WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Post by Wiggles »

I just took delivery of one of the nicest watches I have ever seen, let alone owned. The CW super compressor, but I have an issue. The watch is running +18spd, which I know is within tolerance, but for me is unacceptable. I find it incredible Steinhart can use an elabore rated SW200 and sell their watches for considerably less than CW. CW have told me they won't touch it unless I part with more cash, which I consider dreadful customer service, and they have told me that if I regulate it myself (which I can do very easily) the warranty will be voided. I know I can return the watch, but ad I love the design, I just don't want to. I know some people will say "just live with it" but when you own a range of inexpensive watches that run close to 0spd, it makes it hard to live with. So what would you do ?
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Post by gannet »

could it be magnetised?
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

gannet wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:39 am could it be magnetised?
I can try demagnetising it, but generally speaking magnetised watches run a lot faster than that
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

If it's always going to annoy you, return it and move on.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Im new the the idea of magnetised watches - I personally have never tested any of my watches for accuracy - if its running fast / slow I simply adjust and get on with things.
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

You seem to have three choices.

Keep it as it is running within specifications.

Return it and pay for adjustment.

Return it for refund as long as it hasn't been worn and conforms with the 60/60 (or whatever it is now).

The choice is yours alone.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

How long have you actually had it, and how long have you tested it to assess its running 18spd?

Its always worth giving it a couple of days on the wrist, starting from stopped and see how you go.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Demagnetise it, keep checking it for a week or so and see if it settles into a better pattern of timekeeping....then decide.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
undetterred
Senior
Senior

Post by undetterred »

Could it be replaced with same model? Except could possibly be worse on the accuracy issue?
Steinhart Ocean 39 vintage red/blue ceramic,Olko edition
C65 Super comp
C60 Trident Pro
C60 Blue LE
Omega Seamaster 300m
Longines Admiral Chronograph
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:18 am Demagnetise it, keep checking it for a week or so and see if it settles into a better pattern of timekeeping....then decide.
+1. Definitely demagnetise. Magnetism can cause fast, slow or even erratic running according to no lesser authority than JLC.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:25 am
Thegreyman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:18 am Demagnetise it, keep checking it for a week or so and see if it settles into a better pattern of timekeeping....then decide.
+1. Definitely demagnetise. Magnetism can cause fast, slow or even erratic running according to no lesser authority than JLC.
Just demagnetised it. It has slowed down to +10 dial up, which in reality is about +8. Once worn in it should come down further. I can live with that, and will now sleep at nights. My C60 Trident Pro is currently up for sale, and that runs close to zero
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Wiggles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:31 am
H0rati0 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:25 am
Just demagnetised it. It has slowed down to +10 dial up, which in reality is about +8. Once worn in it should come down further. I can live with that, and will now sleep at nights. My C60 Trident Pro is currently up for sale, and that runs close to zero
Result! 8)
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Glad that is sorted. i have had a couple of watches that I had to demagnetise after receiving and had no further problems. Out of interest which one did you go for?
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Wiggles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:33 am The watch is running +18spd, which I know is within tolerance, but for me is unacceptable.
timing.JPG
I'm glad that demagnetisation has improved things for you.

But (slightly playing Devil's Advocate :wink:) the two things above don't quite add up. How would I (as CW) react if someone told me their watch was performing within advertised specs but it wasn't acceptable?

Did you not read the details before ordering?

Anyway, as I said, I'm glad it's OK.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Funnily enough, I've just had the same experience with my C65 SH21 LE. I've been wearing it almost constantly for the last week, but wore another C65 today and stored this one in a watch pod under my desk. Just went to put it back on and checked the time... it was SLOW (surprisingly) by almost 8 minutes. This is a watch that gains at most 1 sec per day :shock:

Quick check with Lepsi and a small button compass established it was definitely magnetised! I have a demagnetiser (the oval ring type) and so stopped the movement (always advised to avoid damage) and passed it through that 5 times. Quick check again... no magnetism detected. It's now reset and back on my wrist and I'll check its timekeeping tomorrow.

I've just checked the area I stored it with Lepsi... lo and behold, there's a small cable organiser pouch nearby with two magnetic clasps... nothing else in the area. It's now moved away and I've swept around for others. Apart from my iPad cover and AirPods, all is clear now :thumbup:

Just shows, be careful as there is magnetism where you least expect it :lol:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King