Clicking/cracking sound and feel when screwing down my crown

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Thrifty85

Clicking/cracking sound and feel when screwing down my crown

Post by Thrifty85 »

Hi, yesterday I took delivery of my brand new CW C60 trident. After I had set the time, I noticed a cracking sound and feel as I screwed the crown back down. I’ve tried turning it anti clockwise in case it was something to do with the thread misaligning but that’s definitely not the issue. Should I be worried?? I keeps time well etc.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Clicking/cracking sound and feel when screwing down my crown

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello and welcome.

Similar issues do raise their heads from time to time with other brands as well as CW. A couple of us discussed it last spring in relation to MeisterSinger watches we had bought...a "gritty" feel. Sometimes it's just to do with feel, and if you are not used to screw-down crowns it can feel odd. Since you mentioned turning anti-clockwise you may well be familiar with them. I have quoted this a few times.
A top tip I was given was to turn the crown gently backwards (anti-clockwise) while pushing it gently towards the case, until you feel a click and the threads engage. Then screw it gently clockwise until it is finger tight.*

Does it work? I haven't damaged a crown yet.

* Note: I said GENTLY three times.
The main points are to maintain a little pressure on the crown towards the case while turning anti-clockwise. The other point is: NEVER try to force anything.

If you still feel it's not OK you should contact CW directly.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
apm101
Senior
Senior

Re: Clicking/cracking sound and feel when screwing down my crown

Post by apm101 »

Possible that there is a grain of grit or some such on the thread?
CW C65 SC, Rolex Sub 16610, Hamilton Khaki Field King, Seiko Black Monster gen 1