widge34
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Just ordered a C60 trident

Post by widge34 »

Just ordered a C60 pro 600 42mm.
This will be my 4th Christopher Ward watch, although i have moved the previous three on, and ive not had an auto watch for around 4 years.

Im a landscape gardener by trade, so watch wont be worn during the day. Would i be better buying a watch winder or just give the watch a wind each day?
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Re: Just ordered a C60 trident

Post by SlowLoris »

widge34 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:23 pm Just ordered a C60 pro 600 42mm.
This will be my 4th Christopher Ward watch, although i have moved the previous three on, and ive not had an auto watch for around 4 years.

Im a landscape gardener by trade, so watch wont be worn during the day. Would i be better buying a watch winder or just give the watch a wind each day?
Hope you used a £100 discount voucher!
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

They are very robust watches. So unless you're using a chainsaw or similar, I wouldn't worry. Alternatively you could just wear it in the evening and weekends! The power reserve will keep it going!
widge34
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by widge34 »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:00 pm

Hope you used a £100 discount voucher!
I did thanks :D
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

widge34 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:23 pm Im a landscape gardener by trade, so watch wont be worn during the day. Would i be better buying a watch winder or just give the watch a wind each day?
I found that as my (desk bound) work is relatively sedentary (and I switch to my Apple Watch for walking/exercise), that my C65 Cranwell wasn't being wound enough... I got a Barrington watch winder which runs for 12 hours (from 10pm to 10am) and so I just put the watch on that overnight and it's remained fully wound for the last three months now. Now that I have other watches, I can also choose to wear something else and the Cranwell stays running and keeping good time, ready to go whenever I want it :thumbup:

I have now bought winders for both my other daily wear automatics now as well, for the same reason.

I'm aware that your usage (and others) will be different to mine though...

Nice watch BTW :clap:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I’d go for a winder, but don’t run it 24/7.
From what I understand, handwinding auto watches on a frequent/regular basis is not good for them long term. Likewise, running them in a winder on a constant basis is not good either.
I plug my watch winder into a timer plug so that it runs on and off between 8am and 10:30pm (roughly 80% on and 20% off) and then it rests overnight. This is plenty for my watches.
Hope this helps,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

This will be my 4th Christopher Ward watch, although i have moved the previous three on
Good to have you back in the fold!
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Congratulations! Which colour way?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Congratulations !
Looking forward to seeing the photos when it arrives.
widge34
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by widge34 »

Viognier wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:48 am Congratulations! Which colour way?
Ordered the red/black. Always been my favourite combo
widge34
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by widge34 »

JasperCat wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:31 pm
widge34 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:23 pm Im a landscape gardener by trade, so watch wont be worn during the day. Would i be better buying a watch winder or just give the watch a wind each day?
I found that as my (desk bound) work is relatively sedentary (and I switch to my Apple Watch for walking/exercise), that my C65 Cranwell wasn't being wound enough... I got a Barrington watch winder which runs for 12 hours (from 10pm to 10am) and so I just put the watch on that overnight and it's remained fully wound for the last three months now. Now that I have other watches, I can also choose to wear something else and the Cranwell stays running and keeping good time, ready to go whenever I want it :thumbup:

I have now bought winders for both my other daily wear automatics now as well, for the same reason.

I'm aware that your usage (and others) will be different to mine though...

Nice watch BTW :clap:
Jcalder68 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:05 pm I’d go for a winder, but don’t run it 24/7.
From what I understand, handwinding auto watches on a frequent/regular basis is not good for them long term. Likewise, running them in a winder on a constant basis is not good either.
I plug my watch winder into a timer plug so that it runs on and off between 8am and 10:30pm (roughly 80% on and 20% off) and then it rests overnight. This is plenty for my watches.
Hope this helps,

C
Thanks for the advice :thumbup:
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

Don’t get a winder, not needed at all. I have 9 autos and never use my watch winders .. in fact I’m a little weary of them these days.
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Great watch and lovely colour combo
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
widge34
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by widge34 »

Toph wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:32 am Don’t get a winder, not needed at all. I have 9 autos and never use my watch winders .. in fact I’m a little weary of them these days.
Do you just wind them when needed then, or do you let them stop??
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

ON THE OTHER HAND...

I have every one of my autos on a winder except for a couple that I don’t have spots for. Currently have 9 on winders. I have 2 young children, don’t have time to go about winding and setting a watch :lol:

But I had them on winders before kids. It’s just convenient.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925