Speck of dust on underside of crystal...?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Speck of dust on underside of crystal...?

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:38 am
H0rati0 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:52 pm There is going to be some backlog when CW's workshops open again...

So sorry to hear about what is such an annoying discovery. It would drive me crazy also, so sympathy.
Perhaps in this situation, given the workshop is closed, maybe they’ll just replace it with another one. I think that’s what I would push for.
Interesting thought. I won’t go into it expecting that by any means, but it would serve two purposes: 1) I wouldn’t have to wait months for lockdown backlog to work itself out, and 2) I would get a fresh watch! I just noticed a nick on the bezel the other day...

I’ll be the first to say I don’t baby my watches. I put one on and go about my day, and I don’t pull any punches.I’ll start a thread someday highlighting the wear & tear I put on my watches.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:10 am I’ll be the first to say I don’t baby my watches. I put one on and go about my day, and I don’t pull any punches.I’ll start a thread someday highlighting the wear & tear I put on my watches.
As you shouldn’t with watches! When I die and my CWs go to my kids, I want them to see and know that their dad loved his watches and they have the scars to show it.

Regarding a swap, it certainly doesn’t hurt to ask. The worst that will happen is that say no because you’ve worn it for 2 months, and that’s perfectly understandable.
Drew
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Very sorry to hear this Alex - that is a very unlucky break..

I agree that the speck of dust/debris was almost certainly always there and has most likely become dislodged via your day-to-day movements rather than something that has somehow made it's way in to the watch. I have read about this sort of thing before (not necessarily CW though - can't remember to be honest) and the story was about how you might take the back off and blow the dust out yourself, etc, but I really wouldn't be attempting that myself as the guys have mentioned.

I would support Andrew's idea of asking for a new one given the current situation with the workshop and since it is, more than likely, a manufacturing/QC fault.

Wishing you the best of luck with it...
Ian
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I'm sure that CW will remove that for you.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

As there is a backlog and considering your location, see if CW will allow you to take it into a local shop to get fixed without affecting the warranty. It's a quick fix.
'Tis me
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Apart from the speck of dust no longer being present, how would CW know that you've had a repair done?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

exHowfener wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:39 pm Apart from the speck of dust no longer being present, how would CW know that you've had a repair done?
Caller wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:22 pm As there is a backlog and considering your location, see if CW will allow you to take it into a local shop to get fixed without affecting the warranty. It's a quick fix.
Yes I’d do this myself or take it to a local shop with any other watch, but my main worry with this is the compression spring in the case back. Does a local shop know how to handle that? Maybe it’s easy, maybe it’s not. Maybe CW has a special tool for it. Too many unknowns to risk myself or a shop messing it up and me being on the hook for repairs.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

It does oddly happen as it's a bit perplexing how the dust actually gets inside. I had the same happen to my Omega Aqua Terra. It went in for a service to have it removed
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
ttix67

Post by ttix67 »

I can relate: I had an automatic dress watch that I wore for a few weeks and then a speck appeared out of nowhere, right in the middle of the dial/crystal. I was a bit annoyed so I knocked it around (thinking I could lodge it into an area where it was inconspicuous.) It eventually settled near the 6 o'clock outer ring. That was not a good idea as the thought of dust being inside still bothered me. I eventually just sent it back to the manufacturer to service and get it out. I'm sure CW would do the same for you here.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

I received a response back from CW on this. They do want me to send the watch in for repair.

I did suggest an even exchange for a new one, but they declined.

BTW, no chance of me returning this under the 60 day return since I wore it a whole bunch. Besides, this happened on EXACTLY the 61st day after I received it :lol:

It should be a pretty easy repair for them, but I’ll be sad to be without one of my favorite watches for quite a while. I guess I’ll wipe away my tears with my new C1 Moonglow. :D
Alex
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Not a bad balm for the wound!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Speck of dust on underside of crystal...? UPDATE: repaired

Post by ajax87 »

I posted this elsewhere, but I’ll update my thread for posterity. I already received the watch back repaired. Everything looks great. CW was communicative and efficient. I feel for those who have had bad experiences, but hope this is the norm.

I was fully prepared to wait months, but was thrilled to get it back within a couple weeks. Likely due to the super simple nature of this repair.

The timeline:

- I noticed the speck on 2/2.
- I emailed CW about it on 2/3, proposed they exchange for a new watch (was only about 2 months old).
- Declan with CW replied on 2/4 declining the exchange, saying they’ll set up for DHL to pick it up for repair.
- I requested DHL pickup on 2/10, Declan set it up and they picked it up at no charge.
- Arrived at CW 2/12, CW acknowledged receipt to repairs department 2/15.
- CW emailed saying repair was complete on 2/17.
Despatched via DHL 2/18.
Arrived at my door 2/23 (after a DHL delay due to inclement weather).

I’m chuffing at the bits with the whole experience and having one of my favorite watches back.

0C0CD998-D20F-4F02-9F51-F473DB99CAA0.jpeg
Alex
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Speck of dust on underside of crystal...? UPDATE: repaired

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:50 am I posted this elsewhere, but I’ll update my thread for posterity. I already received the watch back repaired. Everything looks great. CW was communicative and efficient. I feel for those who have had bad experiences, but hope this is the norm.

I was fully prepared to wait months, but was thrilled to get it back within a couple weeks. Likely due to the super simple nature of this repair.

The timeline:

- I noticed the speck on 2/2.
- I emailed CW about it on 2/3, proposed they exchange for a new watch (was only about 2 months old).
- Declan with CW replied on 2/4 declining the exchange, saying they’ll set up for DHL to pick it up for repair.
- I requested DHL pickup on 2/10, Declan set it up and they picked it up at no charge.
- Arrived at CW 2/12, CW acknowledged receipt to repairs department 2/15.
- CW emailed saying repair was complete on 2/17.
Despatched via DHL 2/18.
Arrived at my door 2/23 (after a DHL delay due to inclement weather).

I’m chuffing at the bits with the whole experience and having one of my favorite watches back.

0C0CD998-D20F-4F02-9F51-F473DB99CAA0.jpeg
Your timeline starts on 2/2 and ends on 2/23. By my count, that’s +21 - OUT OF SPEC! Send it back! #wigglewashere
Drew
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Crikey, that was quick!
Great job CW and good result for you Alex. :thumbup: :clap:

It's always good when you're "chuffing at the bits" ! :lol:
Ian
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

Beautiful watch, glad you got it back so quick

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk