CW Wooden Boxes

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

CW Wooden Boxes

Post by JAFO »

Did anyone appreciate that CW wooden boxes weigh a bit less than they did. The current boxes are under 1Kg, and were previously over 1Kg.
RMSD costs £8.95 instead of £11.15. (under £500). I expect CW save rather more than £2.20 over a year
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: CW Wooden Boxes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have never had one in a wooden box. :( :-({|=
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:52 pm I have never had one in a wooden box. :( :-({|=
It's a bit like unpacking one of those Russian dolls, starting with the outer box. You never quite know when you are going to get to the end and when you do, you feel exhausted because of all the effort you have to put in! :D
'Tis me
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

The packaging is excellent. Very little wasted space , nicely shaped and sized, and as you noted under 1kg
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

^^^^
+1
and seems to ship very well giving good protection and holding the watch firmly. I think it works much better as well as being nicer than the older, bulky stuff.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

I posted off a watch in a wooden box and it weighed 1.333kilos!
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

Toph wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:35 am The packaging is excellent. Very little wasted space , nicely shaped and sized, and as you noted under 1kg
Are you kidding? The size of these boxes is ridiculous. They could produce a decent size bamboo box a third of the size if they chose to.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

willttqs wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:13 am I posted off a watch in a wooden box and it weighed 1.333kilos!
Yes, that's what I found. Boxes I had from mid 2020 weighed over 1Kg, but boxes in the current/just sale are about 800gm. You don't notice it at all, until the post office ask you for less money. It must save CW an enormous sum over a year.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Toph wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:35 am The packaging is excellent. Very little wasted space , nicely shaped and sized, and as you noted under 1kg
^^^ +2 Packaging and boxes are fantastic!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

The weights quoted in posts above got me thinking, as I had a recollection of recently posting out a current style CW Watch Box, including watch, and it weighing in at something like 1.25kg - 1.3kg. Only way to be sure; put a box on the kitchen scales!

I dug out two CW Boxes from my under bed drawer (the current shape stores very easily), one was sent to me Oct '19 and the other a couple of weeks ago, Jan '21.

Weighing them, that is the CW Wooden box with outer sleeve, sat inside the outer cardboard shipping packaging but minus any watch contents I got;-

Oct '19 - 1.176kg

Jan '21 - 1.172kg

This would therefore come to the 1.25kg - 1.3kg including a watch that I was thinking of.

Separating them off the Wooden box with outer sleeve is 928g and the outer cardboard shipping packaging is 244g (on the Jan '21 box).

Merely my experience.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I bought 3 watches in the sale, and all were in boxes marked 0.8Kg. I assumed it was a general thing. Maybe they have changed, but they are still using up a stock of heavier boxes.
ScattsLeics

Post by ScattsLeics »

It's all going in the right direction from a couple of years back
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

I would rather have a normal square box than the overly large oblong ones. I bet that would save even more money in production AND postage!!
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I love my CW boxes. I suspect the box itself is hardly any more expensive to produce than the large cubic boxes most watch companies use, and it's more substantial, I think. There's a lot fewer flaps and things to open. I think it's a small price for CW to pay to mark out one of their watches as different, and as a premium product. Having individual watch manuals is also a good touch. There's hardly any point supplying a generic manual covering every variation of watch you might get.

RMSD prices are currently for £500 insured
500 gm - 7.65
1000 gm - 8.95
It's a pound more for £1000 insured, and a further £2 to go up to £2500.

I just weighed a decent quality Oris cube box, and that is about 800gm without the watch inside. A yellow Invicta box with watch came in at about 600gms, so you would need to go quite downmarket to get under 500gm. One other advantage of the CW boxes for strap options, is that the watch ships with the strap flat and unworn, so doesn't get the clasp marks on the leather that you can often see on watches that have been in stock for some time. Shame it's hard to get them out of the elastic grips at times. The boxes could still be redesigned to be smaller, but whether that would show a great saving is a different matter.
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

JAFO wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:47 pm One other advantage of the CW boxes for strap options, is that the watch ships with the strap flat and unworn, so doesn't get the clasp marks on the leather that you can often see on watches that have been in stock for some time. Shame it's hard to get them out of the elastic grips at times. The boxes could still be redesigned to be smaller, but whether that would show a great saving is a different matter.
There's also a slot in the bottom of the outer cardboard box, which conveniently takes an additional strap in a small cardboard package... nice touch :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King