LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: CW Wooden Boxes

Post by Kip »

Lets also remember that...

To quote Mike France...

"The box is constructed from 95% bio-degradable materials, including laminated eco-MDF, cotton and bamboo."
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Kip wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:21 am"The box is constructed from 95% bio-degradable materials, including laminated eco-MDF, cotton and bamboo."
Not an expert in this, but doesn't the other 5% make it a futile effort? And how long does the rest take to biodegrade?

I guess I am a wee bit of a cynic about such matters, even whilst applauding the efforts of the west and CW and the rest. Because living in Asia, where with the probable exception of Singapore, pollution and rubbish are everywhere, including in he seas. Very few Countries give any real thought to the environment, so next time you buy Jasmine rice from Thailand and any sugar products (Thailand is a huge producer) just remember that they burn all the waste, causing untold damage to humans with the release of pm2.5 into the air and making some of their cities the most polluted in the World. There are satellite images out there of Thailand, almost literally, burning and the same happens all over SE Asia.
'Tis me
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

From an eco viewpoint any move or improvement towards bio-degradable materials is preferable but what I've wondered ever since it's release is why the new box is so long.

Ok it allows the strap/bracelet to be laid out flat and attached to the watch but as straps and bracelets are now QR why do they still have to be attached to the watch within the box? The box is wide enough for the 2 parts of the strap/bracelet to be laid alongside each other so (without measuring or having a new box to check) I reckon the box could be about 40-50% shorter and lighter.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

The smaller and less ostentatious the better, as far as I'm concerned. They get stored away, out of sight. As long as they protect the watch in transit, that's all that matters to me. I have several Seikos that came in small, unassuming square cardboard boxes. Easy to store and perfectly capable at protecting their contents.

Mods, feel free to re-locate this in Curmudgeons' corner. :lol:
Steve.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by Kip »

Caller wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:58 am
Not an expert in this, but doesn't the other 5% make it a futile effort?
I don't think the effort is futile at all. Would it be better if the percentage was reversed ad only 5% was eco friendly? 95% is certainly a major step forward in my opinion.
Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:27 am From an eco viewpoint any move or improvement towards bio-degradable materials is preferable but what I've wondered ever since it's release is why the new box is so long.

Ok it allows the strap/bracelet to be laid out flat and attached to the watch but as straps and bracelets are now QR why do they still have to be attached to the watch within the box? The box is wide enough for the 2 parts of the strap/bracelet to be laid alongside each other so (without measuring or having a new box to check) I reckon the box could be about 40-50% shorter and lighter.
I agree that the box could still be made smaller, but I think we must remember that the majority of customers are not watch nerds. I believe this is about presentation upon opening the box. It is ready to wear. Despite the fact that most never use the box again, the subtlety of presentation goes a long way to the enjoyment of the purchase.

This box was well tested and shipping damage is minimal compared to the previous boxes used. What gives a better impression....the old boxes received with the extremely common dented corners with the watch bouncing around inside or a slightly larger than required box without damage where the watch is well secured within. Plus if you bought an extra strap it is nicely packed underneath instead of just paved loose inside the old box.

Perhaps we don't mind, but most consumers, I believe, want to take the watch out of the box and put it on. They do not want to be fussed having to assemble first.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Kip wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:40 am
Not an expert in this, but doesn't the other 5% make it a futile effort?
I don't think the effort is futile at all. Would it be better if the percentage was reversed ad only 5% was eco friendly? 95% is certainly a major step forward in my opinion.
Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:27 am From an eco viewpoint any move or improvement towards bio-degradable materials is preferable but what I've wondered ever since it's release is why the new box is so long.

I agree that the box could still be made smaller, but I think we must remember that the majority of customers are not watch nerds. I believe this is about presentation upon opening the box. It is ready to wear. Despite the fact that most never use the box again, the subtlety of presentation goes a long way to the enjoyment of the purchase.

This box was well tested and shipping damage is minimal compared to the previous boxes used. What gives a better impression....the old boxes received with the extremely common dented corners with the watch bouncing around inside or a slightly larger than required box without damage where the watch is well secured within. Plus if you bought an extra strap it is nicely packed underneath instead of just paved loose inside the old box.

Perhaps we don't mind, but most consumers, I believe, want to take the watch out of the box and put it on. They do not want to be fussed having to assemble first.
Kip,I appreciate your response, understand the comment about presentation, impressions, watch nerds etc.
However we could continue to apply such reasoning to all elements of our society and continue to blast our only world into further devastation. Cars - many drivers like going fast, can't be fussed with slow acceleration so let's continue producing fast cars with thirsty engines. Food - some don't want the fuss of pulling lettuce leaves off and having to wash them and they look so much better already packaged in a nice plastic bag so let's continue with that.

I'm not saying CW solely are dragging Earth down because their watch boxes are 40-50% too big. I don't want to start a political discussion but all of us have to change our views and put up with some fuss however minor to prevent the whole world becoming like the Thailand described earlier in this thread. If people can use their computer, tablet or smart phone to order and pay for a CW watch on-line then I doubt that fitting a QR strap would be beyond them or make them a watch nerd.
hucifwr

Post by hucifwr »

redmonaco wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:52 pm I would rather have a normal square box than the overly large oblong ones. I bet that would save even more money in production AND postage!!
Second this.

While I was impressed at the quality of the packaging, I did find the disparity between the size/weight of the box and the watch itself to be rather absurd.

Considering CW is a brand that does huge volume of direct-to-consumer sales via the post, it would be much more efficient and environmentally conscious to ship using smaller boxes.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Kip wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:21 am"The box is constructed from 95% bio-degradable materials, including laminated eco-MDF, cotton and bamboo."
Not an expert in this, but doesn't the other 5% make it a futile effort? And how long does the rest take to biodegrade?

I guess I am a wee bit of a cynic about such matters, even whilst applauding the efforts of the west and CW and the rest. Because living in Asia, where with the probable exception of Singapore, pollution and rubbish are everywhere, including in he seas. Very few Countries give any real thought to the environment, so next time you buy Jasmine rice from Thailand and any sugar products (Thailand is a huge producer) just remember that they burn all the waste, causing untold damage to humans with the release of pm2.5 into the air and making some of their cities the most polluted in the World. There are satellite images out there of Thailand, almost literally, burning and the same happens all over SE Asia.
I'm standing right next to you on this topic: it's largely a first world problem whilst the real worry is what's happening in the third world whiuch "can't afford" the niceties of hand-wringing apologists (ever wonder where the "second world" went :? :? )

I put this right alongside British shops stopping giveaway plastic carrier bags whilst leaving fruit film wrapped on styrene trays, British Government banning future sales of cars with internal combustion engines whilst leaving diesel powered heavy goods vehicles thundering all over the place, British wild meat industry banning the use of lead bullets and encouraging swapover to copper bullets whilst the marine leisure industry banned copper antifouling over a decade ago for toxic pollution:problem: :problem: :problem: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Just don't get me started, that's all. :silent: :silent: :lol: :lol:

Actually I am conflicted because I know that change often comes incrementally and that small steps are better than no steps.

Isn't watch packaging just "a thing" though? it's almost always too bulky to keep close to hand so unless you're going to pile it up in the shape of an occasional table it's likely to go into that deep domestic storage known as "basement / attic / under the stairs / out in the shed".
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

^^^ the box is tokenism. CW trying to look environmentally friendly whilst still delivering a bulky premium product.

I also can’t start to imagine what the embodied energy cost is in producing this ‘eco-MDF’.

The best example I’ve experienced recently is from Oris who shipped a watch in a simple leather pouch within a very basic cardboard sleeve; albeit not vegan [-X
Tim
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

^^^ I generally agree that most (all?) of this eco stuff is either tokenism or marketing hype. But I'm someone who isn't at all excited by the 'unboxing experience', I just don't 'get it' If we really must have fancy packaging - and I don't think we must - Far better surely to be sent out in a watch roll or something that will continue to be used beyond the point of purchase/delivery? I'd rather see real leather being used as that's a by-product of the meat & dairy industries, and will compost if needed. Isn't 'vegan leather' just plastic?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

timor54 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 pm ... albeit not vegan [-X
Tongue firmly in cheek 😛
Tim
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

IMO the new box and shape is fantastic and far easier and efficient to store. Love how it presents the watch upon arrival and ships in a far more stable manner than the squares with the " cushion" insert.
The box is part of the package so no plans to test out the bio degradable aspect of it....
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m in the “quality-leather-travel-case-in-a-protective-cardboard-box” camp.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:59 pm I’m in the “quality-leather-travel-case-in-a-protective-cardboard-box” camp.
..as per BREMONT and PINION :thumbup:
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by Kip »

I think a watch should be shipped wrapped in a lettuce leaf, stuffed into a hollowed out cow chip and wrapped in rice paper.

Certainly biodegradable and likely vegan.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"