Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Amphibian Sealander GADA Watch?

Post by Jcalder68 »

Who is good with Photoshop on here?

Flicking through the latest release of Loupe I was struck with a few, short paragraphs of text and some thumbnail sketches of a proposed new model from CW, their “Sealander” watch.

After reading the description I was hypnotised. Ok, so I am a sucker for the GADA (go anywhere, do anything) watch. My grail would be an Explorer, and I love the idea of something smart enough for the office, but casual enough for the beach (assuming a few strap changes in between).

We get a few hints of what the final watch might be - LightCatcher case, fixed bezel, applied hour markers and a hand-set that hints at being a bit more sharp and pointy than the current blunt, cricket bat C65 hand-set. I’m also assuming a solid case back?

My hopes are that the 38mm or 40mm case sizes will be included. Also on the wish list for this model will be a matt black dial, flat sapphire crystal and a COSC movement.

Thoughts, observations and Photoshop renders appreciated.

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Amphibian Sealander GADA Watch?

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I commented elsewhere but my guess is that the sea lander will be what the original C65 started out as. Narrower, fixed bezel, C60 design cues etc. The thing for me with the C65 mk1 was the size, given that the C60 mk2 was already 43mm, the narrower bezel made the C65 mk1 too big for me personally. @minimpi posts pics of his CWWotD for reference

So, I’d like the Sealander to be a halfway house between the C60 and C65, but sized at 40mm to mitigate a narrower, fixed bezel.

Looking forward to it

[Edit: I did get the sense from the article that this watch isn’t done and dusted yet so either hasn’t been signed of or could be a long time in the making. The article does talk about designs that fall by the wayside.......

I also wonder what happened to the C60 aero that was similarly mentioned in loupe?]
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I'm no good at Photoshop but perhaps this will serve to start the creative process;-

Screenshot_2021-01-30 CWArchive - The archive of Christopher Ward watches.png
Source; Loupe 20 - Spring 2021

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

I hope that the Sealander ends up with a svelte profile.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Anyone else think the name leaves a lot to be desired? I read it and think “salamander.” I suppose the name is meant to evoke, perhaps, diving roots but with a sporty land focus?
Drew
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:33 am Anyone else thing the name leaves a lot to be desired? I read it and think “salamander.” I suppose the name is meant to evoke, perhaps, diving roots but with a sporty land focus?
English for (Omega) Aqua Terra ?

Maybe Sea-Lander would read or look better but it might not end up with that name anyway, if it gets passed design stage and is actually produced.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Leon O wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:27 am I hope that the Sealander ends up with a svelte profile.
and it's available in a few dial colour options - black, white and blue - and not just a matte dial.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Water resistance aside, isn't any watch a go anywhere, do anything watch.

I doubt many people would want to pay thousands for a watch, and then take it into situations where it might get damaged - mountain climbing, a factory/workshop environment, although they may well do. Other than that, pretty well any watch in any situation. Gone are the days of thin small dress watches slipping under a short cuff.

Salamander would be a great name for a watch, I think.
Jaymz
Junior
Junior

Post by Jaymz »

Here we go, hope its what you thought it would be
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55988
markee
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by markee »

I really hope it has a rotating bezel. I don’t dive often but it is a feature I use frequently as a quick timer. It is certainly a function I would want in any GADA watch.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

markee wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:50 pm I really hope it has a rotating bezel. I don’t dive often but it is a feature I use frequently as a quick timer. It is certainly a function I would want in any GADA watch.
Sorry to be blunt, but I feel you are barking up the wrong tree asking about a rotating bezel.

To have one, a rotating bezel that is, will potentially make the Sealander just another Dive watch that will arguably be little different from the existing C60 & C65 Dive watches.

I would like to think that CW want to make this something special. Besides which the design sketches in Loupe show a plain, fixed bezel.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Mikkei4 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:59 am English for (Omega) Aqua Terra ?
Can you explain the Aqua Terra reference to me? This is the second time I’ve seen someone make a reference to the Omega Aqua Terra in regards to the proposed Sealander. I don’t understand the reference. This is about my ignorance, by the way, not a challenge to the reference to the Aqua Terra.
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Do the design sketches typically resemble anything like the actual watch? The one in the Loupe has me scratching my head. If it isn't a diver why have a graduated timing bezel? Especially if you can't turn it. I know that pilot watches have the fixed minutes but they describe this as dressy and elegant. I don't think that is a pilot watch. The picture doesn't seem like anything that they are describing outside of the case shape.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:08 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:59 am English for (Omega) Aqua Terra ?
Can you explain the Aqua Terra reference to me? This is the second time I’ve seen someone make a reference to the Omega Aqua Terra in regards to the proposed Sealander. I don’t understand the reference. This is about my ignorance, by the way, not a challenge to the reference to the Aqua Terra.
I am thinking maybe the connection is both are referencing sea and land in the name.

The Omega AT also being an all rounder sports watch, suitable for anything.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

nbg wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:16 pm I am thinking maybe the connection is both are referencing sea and land in the name.

The Omega AT also being an all rounder sports watch, suitable for anything.

Neil
Geez, I feel like a real idiot now! The water/land reference in Aqua Terra never even registered with me, even though it’s “slap you across the face” obvious! Not only does the reference people are making to the Aqua Terra now make sense to me, the Aqua Terra itself now makes sense to me! I always looked at it and thought “Why’s it a Seamaster? There’s no dive bezel.”

Man, talk about feeling dumb today!!
Drew