Sticking rotor on a sapphire

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Sticking rotor on a sapphire

Post by rkovars »

I just wanted to throw out my usual blurb about winders here. Winders aren't supposed to 'wind' your watch - take it from no charge to full charge. They should keep the watch at the same power reserve that it had when put on the winder. If it is put on there full it should stay full. If the watch was half power it should stay there. The Sellita takes about 23 turns to full wind (give or take). I'll add a quote here that illustrates the ratio between rotor turns and winds.
Generally speaking you need at least 100 full rotations of the rotor before the ratchet wheel makes 1 revolution, and 7-9 full revolutions of the ratchet wheel are needed to fully wind the mainspring. This is true for almost all automatics with power reserves of around 40 hours. Given that nearly 1000 rotor turns are needed to fully wind a mainspring, it is unlikely that a mainspring of an ETA2824 can be fully wound by normal movement alone unless you are very active.

The alternative is to handwind it, and 25-30 turns should fully find the mainspring
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Agreed. No more and no less that maintaining the power reserve level.

After a bit of useful info from a few people I will be keeping a few on my winder. These will be the ones im looking to wear over the coming days/week. The others ill let run down now im pretty satisfied that starting and stopping all the time wont hurt them at all. Ill then rotate which go on the winder wheels as my mood takes for that week or so!

It fascinates me how many people can have quite strong oppinions on winders, from always use them, to no point using them. And theres no definitive answer!!!! :shock:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Dickchins wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:55 pm It fascinates me how many people can have quite strong oppinions on winders, from always use them, to no point using them. And theres no definitive answer!!!! :shock:
A bit like asking how often you should get a watch serviced! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
M4tth3w

Post by M4tth3w »

Also a huge thanks from me. I just noticed the same and was a bit worried, not anymore :D :clap:
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

richtel wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:42 pm You'll find that the SW200/2824 rotor spins very freely when low on power, but as power builds up towards full power the rotor will be very much less able to swing under gravity- seeming like it's 'notchy' and swinging in quarter arcs or so. That's perfectly normal. As long as it retains full hours when fully wound and remains in work with moderate activity wearing daily on the wrist, all's well.

Here's an example with my Elite (which is working just fine!). Sorry the videos are rotated.

Low Power- the rotor swings freely

And after a good 20 turns of the crown to get close to full power- the rotor looks like it's 'sticking'
I learned something new today, thanks for posting! Never heard this before