Loupe - Issue 20 - Spring 21

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 2

Re: Loupe - Issue 20 - Spring 21

Post by mik »

Strange as mine arrived today too and I was marvelling earlier at the fact the mag is absolutely spotless. Not a mark, dent, scuff. Really quite remarkable.
C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Makes you wonder if the Sealander will be what the C65 Mk1 started out as, ie a sports version of C60. If so, I hope it looks good.
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

My Loupe's arrived today..

tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

JAFO wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:19 pm
exHowfener wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 am Received my copy this morning. Yes, it's distributed by RM. Hasn't come in a wrapper for a couple of years now. It was/is raining and in perfect condition, as was the rest of my mail.
I assume mine has come unwrapped like this before then, and I just never really noticed.
One has staff whose functions include ironing the daily newspapers and tastefully arranging the morning's post on the marble table in the breakfast room. Simply marvellous.

Actually that we all receive Loupe in a still-flat, tightly closed condition after bouncing through the postal service IS quite amazing.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^^ I have a theory. They are shipped grouped into areas to the distribution centres, maybe even the local sorting offices in boxes.
Then unpacked for final delivery to us folk.
Maybe it's some arrangement RM have for mailing lists etc.

If they get posted individually out of CW unwrapped, then I'm amazed and I salute RM.
Ryan
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I will admit I've always had mixed feelings about Loupe.

I enjoy seeing how they present the new watches, and I like the little hints at what may be coming up, which usually starts a bit of healthy forum speculation. The watch related articles are often good, and I like the little horological articles like this month's one on the earth's orbit and sidereal time.

OK but...six pages about a record company? Three pages on Bielsa? And I see we had to have a couple of pages on a "modern" artist...I wonder why? :problem: Sometimes these bits have something to interest me, and sometimes they don't. This month it seems they don't.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
markee
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by markee »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:50 am I will admit I've always had mixed feelings about Loupe.

I enjoy seeing how they present the new watches, and I like the little hints at what may be coming up, which usually starts a bit of healthy forum speculation. The watch related articles are often good, and I like the little horological articles like this month's one on the earth's orbit and sidereal time.

OK but...six pages about a record company? Three pages on Bielsa? And I see we had to have a couple of pages on a "modern" artist...I wonder why? :problem: Sometimes these bits have something to interest me, and sometimes they don't. This month it seems they don't.
Speaking of healthy speculation, the C60 Sealander tease sounds interesting?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:I will admit I've always had mixed feelings about Loupe.

Its a 'Coffee Table' publication, isn't it Steve. There is always an element of fluffy stuff in it.

Its the same with Car, Property etc. magazines. 50% theme articles, 50% fluff.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Ive got to say, I dont mind the fluff! It breaks things up quite nicely. Without it, its just an information and spec sheet. Admittedly there was nothing really in this episode to grab me.

I quite like Bielsa as well. Hes an enigma in football. But for those who neither get, nor love the beautiful game, it is pretty pointless.

I think if they tied a piece like that in with an interview with the person about their wrist wear, it would round it all off and make it a bit more relavent maybe..?
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I don't mind the fluffy stuff, although I have zero interest in football, trendy artists etc. as it's a free magazine. I just flick through what doesn't interest me and read the rest. If it was on sale at a newsagent then I would have to consider if the content matched my interests.
I guess it's a 'lifestyle' magazine / coffee table publication aimed more at capturing new customers than old farts like me.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

markee wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:54 pm Speaking of healthy speculation, the C60 Sealander tease sounds interesting?
Indeedy!
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:00 pm Its the same with Car, Property etc. magazines. 50% theme articles, 50% fluff.
I guess so. You'd have to be pretty desperate to read all the way through an in-flight mag, especially with a Kindle in your little bag!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:20 pm
I guess so. You'd have to be pretty desperate to read all the way through an in-flight mag, especially with a Kindle in your little bag!
Oh I've done this, back in the day when travelling a lot and the in-flight entertainment failed, pre iPhone/iPad/Kindle and no book... surprisingly interesting content... not :lol:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Interesting that there is an article about flipping watches.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

Verging into the territory of the dreaded & best avoided 'life style' magazine.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

It has been a lifestyle magazine since the first CW full size magazine in 2013. I think it is beyond verging at this point.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.