Nearly New

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Duke1290

Nearly New

Post by Duke1290 »

Evening all,

In the recent refresh of the January Sales I picked up a C60 Elite (Black) on Bracelet.

I understand and appreciate that this is classed as ‘Nearly New’- “A nearly new watch is in 'almost mint' condition, but may have some light marks” it seems this is very battered.
The bracelet has arrived fitted to the watch with no wrapping attached.
Upon further review it has an exceptionally high amount of deep scuffs, nicks and scratches along the Ti bracelet.
This is very visible along the links, clasp and sides of the clasp (photos attached).

Having had a previous C60 40mm in a NN alongside previous C60's inc the wavy face Mk2's there seems to be a lack of any quality control and care before shipping out a watch. Dust inside the watch case of a Malvern is very different to the blatant damage shown.
I am shocked that this has arrived in the condition shown via photos, especially as its difficult to take pictures of the damage off a camera phone - these don't do the marks justice.

Can anyone advise if this is the new normal for Nearly New?

IMG_7150.jpeg
IMG_7149.jpeg
IMG_7147.jpeg
IMG_7145.jpeg
IMG_7144.jpeg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: 'List' removed as it doesn't show up on TapaTalk
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Nearly New

Post by 0uatiOW »

I would describe that as “used”. “Nearly New” in my experience has been so clean that it’s not noticeably marked. A leather strap may show signs of wear around the holes and the buckle position, but I would not accept a bracelet in that condition sold as NN.

It is unlikely that CW will replace the bracelet alone. They might, so it’s worth asking, but in the end you have to decide whether you’ve got a good enough deal or not. If yes, keep it, if not, return it for a refund.

Remember, light scratches on a brushed bracelet can be almost completely removed with careful use of a scouring pad or as the Septics called them “Scotchbrite”.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Sorry to see that. Definitely worth flagging to CW to see what they can do about it - it does look more ‘used’ than ‘NN’
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

This is nearly new in my opinion - everyone assumes they are always mint.

It's probably a customer return, where someone (and they sometimes post on this forum) has worn the watch for a couple of weeks and then decide to return the watch under 60/60.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Freddie
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Freddie »

I have ordered NN in the past and never have any of them turn up in this way. I’ve also just purchased the same watch in the NN sale today - I’ll let you know if it’s the same or similar when it arrives. Good luck sorting it out but I have to agree with the others that it’s “used” and not “nearly new”.
I am not quite sure what to put here, my name is my handle :problem:
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I would not accept that as a nearly new and return it
I have had watches for a year that were cleaner
Cheers now, Paul
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I think we are a little spoilt with Nearly New watches from CW generally, as most seem to be in near-mint condition. But there are exceptions and this is one, at least for the bracelet. In my opinion, it's still in the nearly new camp - as the watch is still quite new with little ageing or wear, and these bracelet marks can be more easily picked up on a titanium bracelet, even after a short space of time.

Ultimately, like all CW watches, if you don't like what you've received for the money you've paid, then you can send it back under 60/60 for a refund. It doesn't really matter what its condition is. If you're not happy, return it.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

welshlad wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:03 am It doesn't really matter what its condition is. If you're not happy, return it.
+1.
my recent NN from the sale arrived as pristine as could be wished for, I could not detect any defects under a loupe. If your deal isn't right (seemingly not) send it back, move on.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

My NN have all been in great shape, except for a strap that had an extra hole punched in it. I asked if that was to be expected in a NN, and CW eventually sent me a new strap.

OP, I would return a watch in that condition unless it was 60 to 70 pecent off, and I would have to really like the model.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Welcome to owning a titanium watch.. I ordered a NN C60 Elite GMT last year in July sale. The bracelet was scuffed as well when I got it. Having owned a number of Titanium watches I'll tell you that if the bracelet is pristine when you get it, give it 2 weeks of touching anything and it will look like or worse than that. Without babying, titanium scratches.

Here is the good news. The "scratches" are also due to anything hitting the titanium after the oxidation later is on the metal. Anything and everything that hits it will leave a small mark once that watch has been in the air for a couple of days.

Over time, the scratch will actually fade and become much less apparent.

This is not grade 5 titanium, it's grade 2, which is softer and more easily marked.

If this is going to bother you, send it back now as you'll get totally bent everytime you touch that watch against anything.

The scuffs on mine faded nicely. Yes they are still there but I gotta look for it.

I don't know if the watch body is coated or not, but it does not scuff like the bracelet does.

I would keep the watch as you will not find anything comparable at this price range. Wear it with its charm and character and just enjoy it as it's a stunner!!!

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Duke1290

Post by Duke1290 »

Thank you all for responding so promptly. I have appreciated reading each response and the time by the author adding it on here.

I'd like to clarify that my initial concern is over the 'almost mint' condition that CW categorise NN as.
The photos of the bracelet do not portray the poor condition on arrival. In effect a let down to CW's Brand.

what-time-is-it wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:38 pm This is nearly new in my opinion - everyone assumes they are always mint.
It's probably a customer return, where someone (and they sometimes post on this forum) has worn the watch for a couple of weeks and then decide to return the watch under 60/60.

I would say it's had a very hard x weeks of wear to remove chunks of titanium out of the bracelet if it's been worn - unsure how this classes as a return in perfect condition from the CW 60:60 description:
If you aren’t happy with your watch for any reason, provided it is still in perfect condition and accompanied by all the original packaging and documentation, you can return it to us free of charge for up to 60 day
https://www.christopherward.com/60-guarantee.html

stefs wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:51 pm I would not accept that as a nearly new and return it I have had watches for a year that were cleaner

Freddie wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:41 pm I have ordered NN in the past and never have any of them turn up in this way. I’ve also just purchased the same watch in the NN sale today - I’ll let you know if it’s the same or similar when it arrives. Good luck sorting it out but I have to agree with the others that it’s “used” and not “nearly new”.

You're a lucky man :lol:
H0rati0 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:29 am
welshlad wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:03 am It doesn't really matter what its condition is. If you're not happy, return it.

+1. my recent NN from the sale arrived as pristine as could be wished for, I could not detect any defects under a loupe. If your deal isn't right (seemingly not) send it back, move on.

Seems the way forward as this isn't in alignment to the NN description. I'd rather wait for a voucher and pay for a watch that hasn't been abused.
brash47 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:17 am Welcome to owning a titanium watch.. I ordered a NN C60 Elite GMT last year in July sale. The bracelet was scuffed as well when I got it. Having owned a number of Titanium watches I'll tell you that if the bracelet is pristine when you get it, give it 2 weeks of touching anything and it will look like or worse than that. Without babying, titanium scratches.
Here is the good news. The "scratches" are also due to anything hitting the titanium after the oxidation later is on the metal. Anything and everything that hits it will leave a small mark once that watch has been in the air for a couple of days.
Over time, the scratch will actually fade and become much less apparent.
This is not grade 5 titanium, it's grade 2, which is softer and more easily marked.
If this is going to bother you, send it back now as you'll get totally bent everytime you touch that watch against anything.
The scuffs on mine faded nicely. Yes they are still there but I gotta look for it.
I don't know if the watch body is coated or not, but it does not scuff like the bracelet does.
I would keep the watch as you will not find anything comparable at this price range. Wear it with its charm and character and just enjoy it as it's a stunner!!!
Brash

Thanks for the tips on titanium and oxidisation.
I expect to self-inflict scratches over time - perhaps in a year it would be as many to match the current condition of the bracelet :lol:
I have another Titanium Watch (Hamtun unfortunately!) & my previous experience was with Titanium Akrapovic Systems on my motorbikes - after 12,000 winter, summer and track miles these don't seem to scratch and loose chunks off the metal...
Noting I've sold these on second hand years later in better comparison to this described as Nearly New.

Customer Services have been emailed and it's now down to see if any remedy or suggestions can be brought forward.
The response from CW asked for photographs... Confirmed originally sent and now re-sent again.
Fingers crossed to a resolution!
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I bought a C8 a while ago, quartz model purchased but they oversold it and sent me the automatic instead. It was trashed, with scratches on the bezel, sides and back - it was sold as nearly new. To the best of my knowledge CW sell New, or Nearly New and don't use the term Used.

Sent it back the day after it was received, refund issued, case closed.

Not great, but that's how they work and as mentioned earlier the majority expect NN to arrive perfect which isn't always the case.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Duke1290

Post by Duke1290 »

what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:00 pm Sent it back the day after it was received, refund issued, case closed.
To be honest this will be the outcome - I've bagged another NN Elite Bracelet at the fantastic £1067 price & will return the poor standard unit.

Cheers!