Looking for some details on a Purple Slimline

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blue1999

Looking for some details on a Purple Slimline

Post by Blue1999 »

Hello,

So I have been looking for a Christopher Ward Malvern with a purple dial for a bit, and one finally popped up I'm interested in. I just had a question.

So for all the Purple Dial Malverns I've seen have been limited edition (usually with a number stamped X/100), but this one just seems to be a regular version with a decorated movement (most of them I've seen do not have a decorated movement). Looking for some more info on this exact model of Slimline (year, original price, was it limited edition as well, etc) - I'm assuming it's completely legit as well? I just literally couldn't find any info on this model. Below are some pictures.

Front: https://imgur.com/jNpZ2zh

Back: https://imgur.com/jGHkEkm

Any info is appreciated!

StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Looking for some details on a Purple Slimline

Post by StrappedUp »

IIRC, there was a member on here who sent their Slimline back to CW for repair, and the movement was replaced for one of the more recent, decorated versions as seen in your photo.

This is also more than likely the case with the watch you are interested in.
As for the un-numbered case back, who knows. Maybe it was also replaced.
Have you asked the seller?
Ryan
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Yes indeed, there was a C5 Slimline MMXV Forum Limited Edition, that went back for repair last year... details here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54485

I subsequently bought this very watch:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=54500

It's a great watch working very well indeed, although I only wear it occasionally :thumbup:

During the repair, it seems they swapped the movement for a later (decorated) version and that appears to be the same as you have in yours, so yes it seems that the watch you're interested in, has likely had its movement replaced under warranty.

Assuming all else is ok, it really does add to the visual interest of these watches, so could be a good buy. They are lovely dress/formal watches :D
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

You can find additional details of the C5 Slimline Purple in the CWArchive.

Based on your photo I would suggest that the movement and case back have been changed at some point. All the C5 Slimline LE's stated XXX/100.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Blue1999

Post by Blue1999 »

StrappedUp wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:53 am IIRC, there was a member on here who sent their Slimline back to CW for repair, and the movement was replaced for one of the more recent, decorated versions as seen in your photo.

This is also more than likely the case with the watch you are interested in.
As for the un-numbered case back, who knows. Maybe it was also replaced.
Have you asked the seller?
Appreciate the responses!

That makes sense, could see it happening if the back was damaged as well. He is not the original owner, but I think I may know of the guy he bought it from (the same watch sold 8 months ago on the same forum), so i'll probably try and reach out.

I do also have a picture of the Certificate of Authenticity I will post below. I feel like the date seems late, as from my understanding the watch was released in 2015 - unless they give you a new one when it gets serviced.

Certificate: https://imgur.com/wuSsG2D

I was also able to find another similar one for sale on Nov 10, 2018 on a watchuseek post (not sure if I'm allowed to link posts to other forums), labeled 0127.

I'm just a bit hesitant on it due to the caseback/movement being a bit different, but I don't really want to pass up a chance to get one of these.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I would think this watch was sold in 2017 - as an end of line sale watch, probably with a discount. As the certificate number matches the caseback it seems quite likely that CW used a standard caseback following a repair/refurb etc, which may have involved a movement swap.

With the warranty certificate, it means you still have some warranty on the movement - until July 2022, which probably makes it a low-risk purchase - if the price is right.
Richard