Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: C60 Abyss SH21 is 30 ATM or 60ATM?

Post by Viognier »

exHowfener wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:54 pm
What will happen next?
I expect you'll get that information in the letter ..
^^ I'm going with Vallen Hardy will contact them when availability of new dials is known...
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Jasonchan

Post by Jasonchan »

I personally not really bothered about WR but the Supernovalumi.

Hope they can do something to make it last longer than 5 minutes.
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

RobCH wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:18 am
@Andyshall - could you let us know the explanation you were given for the poor black lume?
In my reply to Mike I mentioned that I am a forum member so I hope he will not mind me quoting from his email regarding the lume, which was as follows;
“On the matter of the lume, you are right that the lume does not have the brightness of our standard lume. It is black lume (no other lume would achieve the aesthetic appearance the Abyss Collection watches demand) which, although the finest of its type available, will never give off the same luminosity as blue, green or white lume”

Interestingly, I also received an email from customer services today which included a similar comment regarding the lume, it also said I would receive a letter.

I have bought nearly a dozen watches and several straps/bracelets over the last 8 or 9 years and the customer service has always been superb. In that he has involved himself directly, I have every faith that Mike will ensure that this issue is resolved satisfactorily. However, one would assume that it will take time for new dials to be made and imported. Personally I am going to be patient and wait for the letter/contact because there is a great deal I like about this watch. Others may choose to take advantage of the 60/60 return.

In the meantime I notice the watch no longer seems to be on the website.
RobCH

Post by RobCH »

Andyshall wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:23 pm
RobCH wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:18 am
@Andyshall - could you let us know the explanation you were given for the poor black lume?
In my reply to Mike I mentioned that I am a forum member so I hope he will not mind me quoting from his email regarding the lume, which was as follows;
“On the matter of the lume, you are right that the lume does not have the brightness of our standard lume. It is black lume (no other lume would achieve the aesthetic appearance the Abyss Collection watches demand) which, although the finest of its type available, will never give off the same luminosity as blue, green or white lume”

Interestingly, I also received an email from customer services today which included a similar comment regarding the lume, it also said I would receive a letter.

I have bought nearly a dozen watches and several straps/bracelets over the last 8 or 9 years and the customer service has always been superb. In that he has involved himself directly, I have every faith that Mike will ensure that this issue is resolved satisfactorily. However, one would assume that it will take time for new dials to be made and imported. Personally I am going to be patient and wait for the letter/contact because there is a great deal I like about this watch. Others may choose to take advantage of the 60/60 return.

In the meantime I notice the watch no longer seems to be on the website.
Thanks for that Andy. It seems that the current lume is a considered compromise on CW's side and so I doubt that they will be either willing or able to do anything about improving or changing it, unless they get a lot of negative feedback on it.

For me the current lume combination doesn't work, but many may disagree. Personally I think the grey/green lume curently on the power meter would look fine fine on the hour markers and small seconds as well, though probably not on the bezel numerals, which are not that important and could be left with the current black lume. Then again I'm not a watch designer.

Anyway for me I think it would be good to have bright/useful lume on a stealth-style watch, so it can be read in low light or the dark. For others maybe this isn't important, and fair enough :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

An observation on the Lume.

Isn't the lume on the hands, indexes and bezel of the C60 Abyss SH21 the same Super-Luminova Black as used on the regular C60 Abyss, about which I can't recall hearing any particular complaints?

Personally, I'm fine with it.

The lume is black and its not intended to illuminate the night sky.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:22 pm
Isn't the lume on the hands, indexes and bezel of the C60 Abyss SH21 the same Super-Luminova Black as used on the regular C60 Abyss, about which I can't recall hearing any particular complaints?

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
To be honest, the standard Abyss' lume is poor and takes lots of charging before it emits any light. It also fades quickly. That said, I haven't grumbled as I like the black colour and don't expect it to be like the Blackpool illuminations
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

It's interesting how the the discrepancy over the water resistance of this watch has lead to members voicing their displeasure on legibility and lume performance. When this watch first appeared it was blatantly obvious that it was very dark with very little contrast anywhere on the dial or bezel. I would suggest that black lume, in general, is probably best avoided, akin to yellow snow. I'm sure this watch will have its fans, but they will not be the sort for whom an easily readable dial with great low light presence is a priority. Let's hope that owners get the QC issue sorted in an efficient and painless manner.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

I would say at this point that the Standard Abyss is very legible and the black lume is a key contributor to the overall aesthetic.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Some thoughts and a couple of photos that I posted at the time of the Bristol GTG / CW Event in October last year, 2019;-
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm
TheBeatles wrote:Steve,

Thanks for the photos.

What’s the overall legibility like on The Abyss. In general, photos make it look ok. But I’d appreciate your thoughts on it.

I’m leaning towards that over the Anthropocene, as I like a bit of red.
If you catch the light right, visibility on the Abyss is pretty good.

The hands and indices are normal brushed / polished finished, but then gunmetal pvd covered to match the case.

Thus, with the correct light they glint quite well.

Overall, the gunmetal pvd of the case, on top of the usual brushed / polished light catcher case is stunning.

It's a shade or two darker than the C60 Trident Pro titanium #1 but lighter than the charcoal of the C8 M2.04 Concorde LE.

If it was a black case (which it is not) it would be a total fail.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In essence, the C60 Abyss SH21 is no different apart from the smoked sapphire dial.

Considering the constraints imposed by its 'stealth' look the legibility, including the black lume, is fine.

I bought mine for its overall look; I've got several other watches that major on the legibility front.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

strapline wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:36 pm This is becoming quite a curious thread. As an aside, I wonder if these watches are individually tested to 300 or 600mtrs. Perhaps they are just batch tested in air pressure? Maybe they go nowhere near a pressurised water vessel? Perhaps the only testing is done at the prototype phase, what is CW's procedure for pressure testing their watches?
300m, 600m, 30atm, 60atm.... I'm afraid that without a clear answer to the question above it's all academic. Just a number printed on the dial. The only possible claim is about the lack of consistency.

Does anyone know the answer to the question? I'm guessing they are not ISO diver compliant, as it would be in all the advertising literature.
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

For charging lume, I bought a black light flashlight. Lume is instant full power. I'd grab one of these to see what full power might look like.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

The ISO test (6425) is pretty stringent, going beyond just water resistance as it includes shock and magnetism tests.

At the end of the day though, it is still up to the manufacturer to test or have the watch tested to the ISO regime so ISO or not, makes no difference, it comes down to CW to specify and test as they see fit.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

The last C60 I bought in the Summer sales had a loose caseback- it could be rotated just by fingertips. With that in mind I'm not entirely sure how they test water resistance! That said, CW took it back, snugged up the caseback and provided a printout from their pressure tester.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

brash47 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:48 am For charging lume, I bought a black light flashlight. Lume is instant full power. I'd grab one of these to see what full power might look like.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I’m interested in this. Is it a standard black light torch that can be bought on Amazon? Any to avoid or are the cheap ones effective too?
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:27 pm

I’m interested in this. Is it a standard black light torch that can be bought on Amazon? Any to avoid or are the cheap ones effective too?
I paid £7 for mine from Amazon about 3 years ago. Works fine. :thumbup:
Richard