Watch returned to CW stolen in transit

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Watch returned to CW stolen in transit

Post by jkbarnes »

nordwulf wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:23 pm ...As mentioned, just wanted to share with others to check the restrictions when sending a watch or other high value items from your country.
It’s definitely a worthy PSA for anyone outside the UK shipping a watch back to CW. Thankfully I have easy access to DHL and didn’t give a second thought to returning the incorrect C65 AM GT LE that hand been sent out to me.

However, I’ll still think long and hard about returning a watch for a service down the road. I suppose if my watch is out of warranty I can get it serviced locally rather than send it back to CW.
Drew
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

When the shipment arrived in the UK, it was stuck somewhere for 10 days before the damaged remaining contents was forwarded to CW. Not sure if that was in customs or somewhere else.
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... 76764669us

It is obvious what is inside because it shows the content on the shipping label, including the value. There are no separate customs forms and shipping labels, just this single label on the outside of the package viewable for anyone. Maybe should have put something like "mechanical measuring tool' instead of wrist watch?

mailing label.jpg
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

nordwulf wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:23 pm
I didn't report this as a crime because I don't really know where to report and probably doesn't do anything at all anyways.
My thinking was that in the UK a theft claim often requires a crime number. It was more from the point of insurance formalities rather than finding the culprit
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Everybody here should have a good dedicated jewelry policy for your watches.

I have one that costs less than $100/year and will cover any jewelry item I have in the case of theft, if I drop it and break it, or if I’m just dumb and lose it, with NO deductible.

You can’t rely on your homeowners insurance because that usually has a deductible anywhere from $500 to $2000 and up, and severely limits jewelry coverage.

And as shown here, it’s pretty dicey to rely on any other entity for coverage unfortunately.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, everybody who has a watch of any significant value should have a dedicated insurance policy for them.

Sorry about this situation, Frank. I appreciate you sharing the experience.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:35 pm ...You can’t rely on your homeowners insurance because that usually has a deductible anywhere from $500 to $2000 and up, and severely limits jewelry coverage.

...I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, everybody who has a watch of any significant value should have a dedicated insurance policy for them.
Very sound advice. And probably true of anything of substantial value outside the normal allotment of general household items. Some of my guitars should probably be insured. And be sure to READ THE FINE PRINT of the policy!

And again Frank, I’m so sorry to hear you’re stuck in this predicament.
Drew
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Not good and I do know how you feel having had a couple of watches stolen from packages prised open that were from overseas and just empty boxes. Also had an ebay CW Trident watch go awol due to fraud.

Luckily for me I didn't lose out financially, but it does seem bizarre that CW specifically stated on a previous email not to insure the return.

Mods, have a word with the boss and get CW to step in on this - what else was Frank to do? He has more documentation and images than most would ever collate!
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It's a pain. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

In the UK, the best post service is royal mail special delivery, I think. The charges vary based on weight and insurance, but can get quite pricey, and there is an upper insurance limit at 2500 pounds, but this is only for UK homeland. Ok for small jewellery, and less expensive watches. I expect frequent traders have special deals for sending larger quantities with other shippers. Eg jomashop charge 12.99 dollars for cheap DHL and 30.00 for expedited. It's certainly a problem to transport expensive watches and jewellery relatively inexpensively. I tend to use RMSD when sending important documents although I have sent some goods via RMSD. A heavy carriage clock wasn't cheap, but did get there ok. I would be reluctant to send abroad I think, without checking very carefully.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:16 pm Mods, have a word with the boss and get CW to step in on this - what else was Frank to do? He has more documentation and images than most would ever collate!
I second this or suggest that Frank gets in touch with the head honcho directly.

How can you be told not to insure it, then be expected to take a bath after it goes AWOL.
Ryan
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

How can you be told not to insure it, then be expected to take a bath after it goes AWOL
My thoughts exactly; hindsight is a wonderful thing, but have you asked/did you ask customer services WHY they told you not to insure the package? That would imply that they had it covered, I can understand not repaying the cost of insurance that you had set up, but that wasn't the message.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

exHowfener wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:36 pm have you asked/did you ask customer services WHY they told you not to insure the package? That would imply that they had it covered, I can understand not repaying the cost of insurance that you had set up, but that wasn't the message.
That was my thought too. Why on earth would they (CW) say to NOT insure it?! One would think that if a customer is sending something back using a different shipper, they would specifically ask that the sender DOES insure and would even go a step further to explicit any point out that CW takes no responsibility for lost or damaged items since CW didn’t arrange shipping.

CW’s email just makes no sense to me.
Drew
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I sent them another email last night and waiting for response from CS.
I have returned other watches to CW in the past. As I am not in a DHL service area, the advice from CW is to use a ‘tracked and signed service’ and to ‘not buy insurance’. See screenshot from a previous email below.

The United States Postal Service prohibits shipping any watch to the UK and UPS prohibits shipping watches to the UK with a value above US$ 500 (GBP 375).

If I can’t insure a return watch shipment from the USA to the UK (and is actually prohibited), what do you suggest to do for return shipments if you’re not in a DHL service area? Same issue applies for shipping watches to CW for service and repair.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:16 pm
Mods, have a word with the boss and get CW to step in on this - what else was Frank to do? He has more documentation and images than most would ever collate!
Whilst I sympathise with Frank’s predicament, I don’t think the Mods can be asked to intervene.

Could be the start of a slippery slope!
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Received a response from Customer Service at CW.. They understand my frustration and apologize but don't actually answer my question or address the actual issue.
Thank you for your email and I understand your frustration, I do apologise in regards to this and that we cannot claim through our postal service on this occasion.

Please do let me know if you need anything else and I will be more than happy to help.
I'll send an email to the CS Manager and see if she can provide some helpful information and perhaps at least answer the actual questions. I am not asking for the mods to intervene and don't want them to.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Write to Mike France. In the good ole days, Chris would have been a good go to.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Thank you for your email and I understand your frustration, I do apologise in regards to this and that we cannot claim through our postal service on this occasion.

Please do let me know if you need anything else and I will be more than happy to help.
That response is about as useful as an elephant in a minefield.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)