CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C65 Sandstorm Chronometers

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:42 pm
If it's only via order with W&W is it still on 60/60 guarantee?
From the WindUp Shop details;-

"Warranty: 5 Years on Movement"

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:42 pm Nice first try maybe for a pointer function watch but, as has been the case recently, there's too much detail and this time on a small(er) dial.

Another model not for me except that again the name logo reverts to 12 (which IMO is a positive) when, as far as I can see, there's nothing in the design that would have prevented it being at 9, except maybe at W&W insistence or CW decision?

The basic design without the date ring and other multiple dial rings but using the 3,6,9,12 markers could work well in a simple dial at that size?
I think the pointer date could still work on this size, but something along the lines of the Aquis SoL dial.

Add applied indices with raised Arabic 12-3-6-9 around the outside and a simple printed minute track and I would be contacting Fat-Sam about my Sandhurst :lol:
Ryan
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I'm sorry but these are truly awful - I'm trying to think of a positive, I really am, but I'm struggling. Like something I'd see with Fossil stamped on the dial and 'on sale' for 70% off in at outlet village. What are you doing CW? You really are better than this.
Texan
CW-watches: 3

Post by Texan »

Fat-Sam wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:32 pm I quite like it and was considering a Sandhurst anyway as my next CW but really dislike canvas straps and don’t want to have to pay extra for a steel bracelet.
I have a Sandhurst and recently got the bracelet for it separately. Normally don't like bracelets but the 38mm C65's is really nice. Looks and feels like a whole new watch and with quick change going back to straps is a breeze.

I also think the Sandstorm's dial looks a little busy but do like the pointer date.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:14 pm I'm sorry but these are truly awful - I'm trying to think of a positive, I really am, but I'm struggling. Like something I'd see with Fossil stamped on the dial and 'on sale' for 70% off in at outlet village. What are you doing CW? You really are better than this.
I’m thinking the same thing.
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

My Grandmother taught me that if you don't have anything nice too say, then don't say anything at all......so I'm not saying anything
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:14 pm I'm sorry but these are truly awful - I'm trying to think of a positive, I really am, but I'm struggling. Like something I'd see with Fossil stamped on the dial and 'on sale' for 70% off in at outlet village. What are you doing CW? You really are better than this.
I agree

CW do the best divers around, but these are truly awful. And I don’t even like the word “awful”

Why don’t they stick to what they do better than most. These deviations are dreadful.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I think that some are not grasping that these were designed by Worn and Wound in collaboration with CW. This is what W+W wanted.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:02 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:42 pm
From the WindUp Shop details;-

"Warranty: 5 Years on Movement"

Guy
Thanks Guy.

Sorry but I should have been more specific in my question as I was curious if having to buy direct through W&W affected the other part of the 60/60, i.e the ability to return within 60 days.

Just curiosity though as I'm not interested as a buyer.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Too small for me and fair enough they are a bit different for CW - but I would never buy so don't have strong feelings either way. If the case size starts with a 3, it's not for me.

For those interested, the cart is showing the following availability.

68 Blackouts
75 Sandstorms on bracelet
78 Sandstorms on strap
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Kip wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:27 pm
timor54 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:12 pm
WRT the previous question about ordering, it would seem that they can only be ordered direct from W&W in US$; but fulfilment is direct from CW in the UK. Raises all sorts of questions about tax, import duties, etc.
Not sure what questions..seems if you are in the UK all things are normal. If elsewhere you are subject to normal fees/duties etc.

*All watches ship directly from Christopher Ward in the UK via DHL. You may be subject to import taxes depending on your shipping destination. Only DHL shipping is available. If Expedited shipping is desired, please choose the DHL option at checkout.
My experience in the UK is that there is a clear difference between where an item sold is invoiced and where it is fulfilled from. A real world watch related example: I ordered a Strapcode bracelet on Amazon; it was invoiced in the UK with a UK VAT number and was shipped to me direct from Hong Kong. It was intercepted by UK Customs who tried to charge me VAT and import duty, but upon presentation of the VAT receipt they rolled over and let it through. If it's invoiced in the UK it's a UK sale.

Now I'm sure such rules are different in other countries but I still think there are ambiguities around this arrangement. If a UK customer buys one of these and gets it shipped within the UK then nobody will be the wiser. But there must be potential potholes in other regions.

In the USA is you buy something from a USA retailer and presumably pay local/state/federal sales taxes, but it is actually delivered from overseas what are the rules about duty liabilities if it's fulfilled from the UK?

Then what if there's three regions involved? A customer in Europe buying this watch from the USA that is fulfilled from the UK. What duties are they liable for from which tax jurisdiction? (don't mention brexit - lets keep that s£$t-show out of this discussion... :silent: )
Tim
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Kip wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 pm I think that some are not grasping that these were designed by Worn and Wound in collaboration with CW. This is what W+W wanted.
As can be seen from some of the responses I doubt that making that point known will make any difference - I think these will still be considered as a CW watch and those design points considered as poor will be placed upon CW's designer shoulders just as they would have received the congratulations and plaudits if it was accepted as a great and well liked design.

I find it difficult to understand that CW had no input or made no guiding comments about W&W's suggested design(s) but maybe that's me either being cynical or lacking knowledge of the relationship between W&W and CW (which of course I do lack).

Anyhow it's only our opinions on first sight of the watches and the wider public will vote with their wallets and credit cards.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:09 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:42 pm Nice first try maybe for a pointer function watch but, as has been the case recently, there's too much detail and this time on a small(er) dial.

Another model not for me except that again the name logo reverts to 12 (which IMO is a positive) when, as far as I can see, there's nothing in the design that would have prevented it being at 9, except maybe at W&W insistence or CW decision?

The basic design without the date ring and other multiple dial rings but using the 3,6,9,12 markers could work well in a simple dial at that size?
I think the pointer date could still work on this size, but something along the lines of the Aquis SoL dial.

Add applied indices with raised Arabic 12-3-6-9 around the outside and a simple printed minute track and I would be contacting Fat-Sam about my Sandhurst :lol:
Agree - the Oris design is simpler and works.
e.g. On the W&W CW I don't see why the 5minute numerals are needed as there's baton markers at 5mins intervals already.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

I think the black out version is poor but the other version looks great. Yes, it may get a little busy given its small size but I'm really interested in seeing real life photos.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Kip wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 pm I think that some are not grasping that these were designed by Worn and Wound in collaboration with CW. This is what W+W wanted.
Sorry Kip but thats clutching at straws there - CW's name is on the dial, the fact that it says Worn and Wound on the caseback makes not one jot of difference - it's a Christopher Ward watch, pure and simple. They didn't have to agree to the design and put their name to it did they. It says Jaguar on the dial of several Bremonts, still a Bremont; says Range Rover on some Zeniths, still a Zenith. Christopher Ward were quick enough to accept the plaudits of the well designed Morgan watches - You can't take the praise for a good collaboration but pass the book for a bad one, they can't have it both ways I'm afraid. These look garbage.