Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Pilot watches

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

J0EMI wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:37 pm PILOTSocial_0000_Layer10_1024x1024.jpgSomeone on this forum recently mentioned Farer watches for their pilot range, so I checked out their site and was very tempted by the new 'Morgan' pilot automatic, unfortunately I had to stop myself, as I had only just spent £850 on a C65 Ombré :shock:
An interesting variation on the theme of a B-Uhr Type B, although I prefer Farer's new 'Californian' Pilot watch.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:35 pm I really like the Brellum. Great looking watch. How do you rate the quality?
The quality is superb. Finish is first class, all Brellum watches are chronometers, and they look beautiful. The 2 box crystals add thickness but they deliver an amazing view of the decorated wobbler inside. For the quality, they are good value, if that can said for a watch costing about £3K (thanks to UK VAT being 20%).

628375D6-FE7B-46D0-A591-634AA7425107.jpeg
Lumed rotor anyone?
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks, that looks good. Any idea if there are any ADs in the UK? I may be a bit put off by the prospect of international purchase, possible return and service.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:44 pm Thanks, that looks good. Any idea if there are any ADs in the UK? I may be a bit put off by the prospect of international purchase, possible return and service.
Was that question for me, regarding the Brellum? There are no ADs. Brellum is 1 man, Sebastien Muller, and he sells direct from his website (Brellum Swiss Watchmaking). He is a first class guy & his watches are excellent, all chronometers, superbly finished. Import duties into the UK add 20% (that won’t change next year) but he does deduct Swiss VAT from international orders, though it’s only 7.something %.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks, yes indeed the question was about the Brellum. Not having ADs is as I thought. Thanks for the extra info on the background and pricing
time_lizard
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by time_lizard »

This is a pilot watch of my liking. I am in search of a Regulator Watch for my collection and almost all specimen you can find of the well-known brands bungle up the regulator concept of reflecting exact time to be read at a glance into unreadable overcomplex watch faces. The reason seems to be to drive up the price and make it a "luxury watch" - what it never was meant to be.
Christopher Ward gave this solution which is stringent in its design, and hits the purpose of a regulator watch to the nail. And - well - it is a pilot watch!
If anyone has a spare one which he would let go - let me know. It'll find a prominent place in my aviator watch collection :D
Attachments
CHRISTOPHER_WARD_C8_REGULATOR_FACE1.jpg
CW C8 Regulator
macdane

Post by macdane »

time_lizard wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:05 am Christopher Ward gave this solution which is stringent in its design, and hits the purpose of a regulator watch to the nail. And - well - it is a pilot watch!
Hey, time_lizard, I'm new here and just poking around ... I appreciate much of CW's design sensibility but must disagree on this one. Beautiful watch, but the similarity between the hours and seconds sub-dials causes a momentary hesitation while I think about which is which. I'm sure that brief pause diminishes with familiarity, but both regulators and pilot watches should allow you to just "know" the time without thinking about it. Don't you agree?

Dane
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Soporsche wrote:Only have 1 clearly Aviator style, recent pickup. Its the CW1000 Typhoon cockpit edition (ceramic, ETA, titanium chasis). Very nice and interesting tech/build for the price point.
20200927_121004.jpg
Very cool. I’m on a big tool watch kick and that grabs my attention.

What’s ceramic? The dial?

Also, is the case media blasted?
macdane

Post by macdane »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:54 pm
Soporsche wrote:Only have 1 clearly Aviator style, recent pickup. Its the CW1000 Typhoon cockpit edition (ceramic, ETA, titanium chasis). Very nice and interesting tech/build for the price point.
20200927_121004.jpg

That one has always intrigued me, too. I believe the case was ceramic-coated titanium.

Dane
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

macdane wrote:
20200927_121004.jpg

That one has always intrigued me, too. I believe the case was ceramic-coated titanium.

Dane

Nearly correct.

Actually "The first Christopher Ward watch to use a ceramic case built around a titanium cage."

Full details in the CWArchive

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

^^^ Thanks! I feel dumb having seen these watches countless times and never having paid attention to the impressive specs.
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

One more pilot watch to throw into the mix is the Lew & Huey Phantom. This watch takes its name from the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom 2, and it's styling from the cockpit's clocks and gauges. The caseback has a real bad ass image of a pilots helmet with the brands logo dog appearing as a skeleton and being bombed by a Phantom fighter plane. And the motto: 'fortes fortuna juvat':

Dean
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:16 pm
macdane wrote:

Dane

Nearly correct.

Actually "The first Christopher Ward watch to use a ceramic case built around a titanium cage."

Full details in the CWArchive

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Yep, all that Guy said.. ceramic case over titanium cage/chassis. 🙂
Quite light for its size and I really liked the tech/engineering behind it (as well as the style). Alas I'm funding a automotive ambition and it may depart soon.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
time_lizard
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by time_lizard »

macdane wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:27 am the similarity between the hours and seconds sub-dials causes a momentary hesitation while I think about which is which.
Hey macdane, you'll find this hesitation with all regulator watches as we are accustomed to read the hours from a centre dial hand.
I attach a picture of another regulator I like much, the marine regulator from Steinhart. Here the hour hand has a different shape, you can judge if that helps for you. But with Steinhart and many more regulators, the placement of the two subdials (hours, seconds) eats into the main dial (minutes) and covers the scale and numbers. As such the time is not exactly readable for 10 minutes between 55 to 5 and 25 to 35.
All I wanted to point out is that CW has taken care of this in their design, which I appreciate :thumbup:
Attachments
steinhart_marine_regulator_2.jpg
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

is the underlying idea of a regulator that the user doesn't really need to know the hour - and therefore the large hand shows him exactly what he needs - the minutes past the hour - without any distraction.