Pilot watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Pilot watches

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:44 pm is the underlying idea of a regulator that the user doesn't really need to know the hour - and therefore the large hand shows him exactly what he needs - the minutes past the hour - without any distraction.
From Chrono24...
Before we take a look at some regulator watches, let’s first explain what a regulator watch actually is. Back in the day, watchmakers would have a master clock against which all timepieces were set. It had hour and minute hands on different axes, thus allowing the most accurate time readout at any moment and enabling the setting or regulation of any watch in the workshop at any given point. Watchmakers were able to see both hands, giving them an optimal readout of the actual time.

Similar to these watchmaker clocks, a regulator watch also features the hour and minute hand on separate axes and (sub)dials. This way, you can always read the exact time displayed at any given time as the hands will almost never be at the same position (except for 2 times a day at 12 o’clock). Thus, they will hardly ever cover each other unlike regular watches where the hour and minute hands fully cover each other every single hour.
Drew
macdane

Post by macdane »

time_lizard wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:58 pm Hey macdane, you'll find this hesitation with all regulator watches as we are accustomed to read the hours from a centre dial hand.
I hear ya. My perspective is likely colored by a couple of my regulators which do a better job of differentiating the sub-dials, at least I think they do. I'll attach photos below.
Oris.jpg
Alpina.jpg
time_lizard wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:58 pm As such the time is not exactly readable for 10 minutes between 55 to 5 and 25 to 35. All I wanted to point out is that CW has taken care of this in their design, which I appreciate :thumbup:
I completely agree that CW has taken the better approach to that issue. And the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Dane
macdane

Post by macdane »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:44 pm is the underlying idea of a regulator that the user doesn't really need to know the hour - and therefore the large hand shows him exactly what he needs - the minutes past the hour - without any distraction.
I think the basic starting point here is to understand that regulator watches haven't really been around very long — maybe 25 years? — but regulator clocks have. My understanding is that those clocks were more for use as a reference in the context of astronomical observations and in clock/watch repair and synchronization than for telling the time of day. So the hour was still important, but users were generally more focused on the minutes.

I just happen to really, really like regulator watches :thumbup:

Dane
time_lizard
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by time_lizard »

Hey macdane, you have really nice regulators in your collection!
I would agree with you that regulator watches are a more recent fad and I would assume they were made to open up a new market niche. Many of them are based on rather simple pocket watch calibers with a tiny modification to have a seperate hour wheel placed somewhere on the dial. The price hike achievable with this minor modification is astonishing.
But, like you, I like this modification a lot.

Apart from this, the regulator watch seems to be around much longer. In September I went to Switzerland to the town of La Chaux-de-Fonds, the heart of the Swiss watch industry. There is the wonderful "International Museum of Horology" where I came across this old specimen of a pocket watch. It is a regulator! But with jumping hour - and - even a jumping minute!

IMG_2908.jpg
Pocketwatch_regulator_museum_La Chaux-de-Fonds
Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed image inline
macdane

Post by macdane »

Sorry, time_lizard, but I should've been more clear that I was referring to wrist watch regulators. Good catch. That pocket watch reminds me of a Chronoswiss Delphis that I had my eye on back in the 1990s but never bought. Apart from the complications involved, the watch was completely unsuitable for me. But holy moly was it a beauty.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Thanks for the info about regulators. I hadn't looked it up for myself or I would have found it. As they seem to appear in aviation sections, I wrongly assumed it was a watch used by pilots. I assume it's the easy legibility. I guess it's no different to us Terra Firma based watch hounds wearing dive watches, but never taking them swimming (or diving!)
time_lizard
Senior
Senior

Post by time_lizard »

My first bronze watch.
Steinhart Nav-B pilot watch with black dial arrived yesterday. I absolutely love the tiny, tiny seconds hand busily ticking away :D
I chose the slightly smaller specimen with 42 mm diameter, 12 mm thick and small seconds at "6". That tells it has a savonette caliber, ETA Unitas 6498-1, also beautifully visible. I am now waiting for a handmade heavy vintage strap from mays-berlin.com (takes them 1 month to make) :problem:

steinhart_navb_42.jpg
Steinhart Nav-B 42 bronze black
steinhart_navb_42_6498-1.jpg
Steinhart Nav-B 42 bronze black
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photos 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

I'm with the first suggestion on this thread... this arrived yesterday from the sale and I love it :D

C8 Power Reserve Chronometer

C8_Power_Reserve_Wrist_Brown_Canvas_1.jpg

or my daily wear watch until the C8 arrived... C65 Cranwell :thumbup:

Cranwell_Brown_Canvas_Wrist (12 Jan 2020).jpg
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

If you don't mind quartz and can find one in good condition.. this is a genuine aircrew watch... the Seiko RAF Gen 1... as issued to all RAF pilot and navigator students until 1990 :thumbup:

https://wornandwound.com/review/time-sp ... ronograph/

When the chronograph is running, that 1/10ths sub dial spins so rapidly, it used to be a simple diversion when bored, to try and stop it exactly at zero :lol:

Originally issued with a leather cuff which made it very comfortable and affording a small amount of fire protection.

Shame you had to give them back when you leave :(

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 14.49.37.png
Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 14.56.25.png
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Seeing as this thread has evolved over the last three months into a general Pilot Watch thread, as opposed to recommendations for the OP, I thoought I'd post up my 47mm handwound Parnis 'sterile' B-Uhr Flieger on classic Flieger strap being worn as intended for the design of the strap.

Strap closed as sized for my 7.5" wrist; in the photo above I've used two holes longer.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
time_lizard
Senior
Senior

Post by time_lizard »

I have never seen such a strap.
A double-feature, a bit like NATO, not protecting the watch but the buckle. The watch is exposed to bumps and scratches - but always visible and operable (e.g. chronograph) at a glance.
Where do you get those? I could imagine one in brown for my Junghans Meister Pilot Chronograph ...
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Seeing as this thread has evolved over the last three months into a general Pilot Watch thread, as opposed to recommendations for the OP, I thoought I'd post up my 47mm handwound Parnis 'sterile' B-Uhr Flieger on classic Flieger strap being worn as intended for the design of the strap.

Strap closed as sized for my 7.5" wrist; in the photo above I've used two holes longer.

Guy
That’s a sharp watch. The strap is really cool.

Is that more affordable than a Steinhart or Laco pilot?

I was sad to see Steinhart got rid of their affordable titanium pilots. I really like them.
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

Robotaz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:44 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Seeing as this thread has evolved over the last three months into a general Pilot Watch thread, as opposed to recommendations for the OP, I thoought I'd post up my 47mm handwound Parnis 'sterile' B-Uhr Flieger on classic Flieger strap being worn as intended for the design of the strap.

Guy
That’s a sharp watch. The strap is really cool.

Is that more affordable than a Steinhart or Laco pilot?

I was sad to see Steinhart got rid of their affordable titanium pilots. I really like them.
A search for "Parnis 'sterile' B-Uhr Flieger" will turn up many such watches which are commonly available on eBay.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

time_lizard wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:01 pm I have never seen such a strap.
A double-feature, a bit like NATO, not protecting the watch but the buckle. The watch is exposed to bumps and scratches - but always visible and operable (e.g. chronograph) at a glance.
Where do you get those? I could imagine one in brown for my Junghans Meister Pilot Chronograph ...
Its a Fluco (German brand) Aviator that I bought from ukwatchstrap.co.uk.

I thought it might be available from Watch Band Centre but they don't seem to stock it currently.

Alternatively, they are available from Laco

Also, as I know you are a fan of Regulator Watches, you might like to see a couple of pics of my C8 Regulator LE

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
time_lizard wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:01 pm I have never seen such a strap.
Its a Fluco (German brand) Aviator that I bought from ukwatchstrap.co.uk.

I thought it might be available from Watch Band Centre but they don't seem to stock it currently.

Alternatively, they are available from Laco

Also, as I know you are a fan of Regulator Watches, you might like to see a couple of pics of my C8 Regulator LE

Guy
That’s probably my favorite Regulator ever, and I’ve seen many and owned a few. That’s an awesome watch. I’m upset that C8 line of aviation watches is gone. I see CW going away from those and towards homage divers, which I’ve seen brands do before and it doesn’t turn out well typically.