Thnx a lot :D
... just out of stock - but will come back :thumbup:
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: Pilot watches

Post by Tortoise »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:21 pm A selection of Aviators, from my collection.

Quite a variety of styles.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Wow! That's an enviable "selection" Guy ...
The Breguet oozes class.
What is the piece shown fourth from the top - black chrono with LHS crown/pushers please? (sorry, can't read the branding as it's covered by the minute hand)..TIA
rgds
Ian
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Tortoise wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:21 pm A selection of Aviators, from my collection.

Quite a variety of styles.

Guy

Wow! That's an enviable "selection" Guy ...
The Breguet oozes class.
What is the piece shown fourth from the top - black chrono with LHS crown/pushers please? (sorry, can't read the branding as it's covered by the minute hand)..TIA
rgds
As stated, only a selection. :oops:

The black Leftie Chrono is an MAT Watches AG6 CHL.

French brand who do a lot of 'specials' for the French Armed Forces and Police.

Its a chunky watch at 44mm case width, but short lugs help it wear smaller. Valjoux 7750 inside.

Guy

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tortoise »

Fat-Sam wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 am The Sinn was cool but personally for the money (£1200) I was a tad underwhelmed, especially compared to CW.
Hello @Fat-Sam,
I've had the Sinn 104 on my radar for a little while but your post has got me a bit worried ...
You mentioned that you were a "tad underwhelmed" - is there anything in particular you can put your finger on please? (fit/finish, time keeping, etc)
Thanks in anticipation
(Apologies to the OP for the slight hijack..)
rgds
Ian
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tortoise »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:09 am
Tortoise wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:21 pm

The black Leftie Chrono is an MAT Watches AG6 CHL.

French brand who do a lot of 'specials' for the French Armed Forces and Police.

Its a chunky watch at 44mm case width, but short lugs help it wear smaller. Valjoux 7750 inside.

Guy

Many thanks. :thumbup:
cheers
Ian
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

Tortoise wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:17 am
Fat-Sam wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 am The Sinn was cool but personally for the money (£1200) I was a tad underwhelmed, especially compared to CW.
Hello @Fat-Sam,
I've had the Sinn 104 on my radar for a little while but your post has got me a bit worried ...
You mentioned that you were a "tad underwhelmed" - is there anything in particular you can put your finger on please? (fit/finish, time keeping, etc)
Thanks in anticipation
rgds
I’ll be honest and say it was mainly in comparison to my c60mk3. I’d planned to effectively upgrade the c60 by buying something twice the price. I wanted a robust and reliable good quality daily wearer with a bezel. The bezel was fine, case was fine (fully polished which is not great for me), the strap it came with was not for me (a pair of canvas straps- neither of which I liked), the movement was ok but less accurate than both CWs I’d owned and the bracelet was £200 to buy separately.

There was nothing wrong per se but for me it was worse in every category when compared with my C60. Absolutely nothing wrong with it other than the expectations which had risen as it’s the darling of the watch geek community! A bit like the oris aquis which for me is not as good as modern CW.

Cut a long story short I sold them both and got a Dartmouth which I love and a Laco Cuxhaven with the change. I love the Dartmouth and the Laco so for me I’ve made the right choice but don’t let me put you off the Sinn, I just wouldn’t expect “it’s as good as omega/Tudor etc etc” which I’d been told. It’s a perfectly fine watch but the CWs and the Laco are better in my opinion 👍🏼👍🏼
Ps I wanted a German watch from that area (Pforzheim to Frankfurt) as I have family there so there was also a connection to it- I wasn’t anti German watches or not understanding the brand or anything
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

1C021790-BD71-4D31-BA5E-E1D773D6ECFF.jpeg
For what it’s worth.....
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Hopefully, the OP hasn't made a final decision yet..I'd like to present some more possibilities for consideration..first off, I feel Glycine makes very fine products for their present price points..I think that the D12's are no longer made, but if you can find one 'previously loved', they make for nice pickups(clear, legible dials w/ excellent lume & a very practical outer bezel)…
Glycine Double 12 Collection(1).JPG
And the Glycine Chiefs are another excellent choice...
Glycine Airman Vintage The Chief GL0250(2).JPG
Glycine AIRMAN VINTAGE THE CHIEF GL0251(1).JPG
And finally, their 1953 Re-Issue is a classic deserving one's attention..
Glycine 'Noon' GL0157 L.E.4410f1,000(1).JPG
For business casual wear, Longines has made a couple of aviation oriented offerings for consideration..here's one of them..
Longines Hour Angle(3).jpg
This Hamilton Khaki Aviation is a nice casual wear offering that can be found on the web for very reasonable prices..
Hamilton Khaki Aviation H766650 ETA2824-2(1).JPG
Should you like an offering w/ a power reserve indicator, this Oris Big Crown ProPilot is a nice, quality choice..
Oris Big Crown ProPilot Cal111(1).JPG
And if you're lucky enough to come across a Seiko FlightMaster w/ the 6S37 movement, you might want to consider giving it a good, long, look..
Seiko Flightmaster 6s37 tit case brace(1).JPG
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Only have 1 clearly Aviator style, recent pickup. Its the CW1000 Typhoon cockpit edition (ceramic, ETA, titanium chasis). Very nice and interesting tech/build for the price point.
20200927_121004.jpg
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
reubicon
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
time_lizard
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by time_lizard »

This is quite an interesting Longines to me.
Do you have a bit more information about its name and type, to I can start looking for it?
Soporsche wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:17 am
file.jpg
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

time_lizard wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:35 am This is quite an interesting Longines to me.
Do you have a bit more information about its name and type, to I can start looking for it?
Soporsche wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:17 am file.jpg
I think you will find that it is called the HOUR ANGLE and is based on the watch used by Lindbergh. There's plenty of info around if you google it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tortoise »

Fat-Sam wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:52 pm
Hello @Fat-Sam,
Thanks in anticipation
rgds
I’ll be honest and say it was mainly in comparison to my c60mk3. I’d planned to effectively upgrade the c60 by buying something twice the price. I wanted a robust and reliable good quality daily wearer with a bezel. The bezel was fine, case was fine (fully polished which is not great for me), the strap it came with was not for me (a pair of canvas straps- neither of which I liked), the movement was ok but less accurate than both CWs I’d owned and the bracelet was £200 to buy separately.

There was nothing wrong per se but for me it was worse in every category when compared with my C60. Absolutely nothing wrong with it other than the expectations which had risen as it’s the darling of the watch geek community! A bit like the oris aquis which for me is not as good as modern CW.

Cut a long story short I sold them both and got a Dartmouth which I love and a Laco Cuxhaven with the change. I love the Dartmouth and the Laco so for me I’ve made the right choice but don’t let me put you off the Sinn, I just wouldn’t expect “it’s as good as omega/Tudor etc etc” which I’d been told. It’s a perfectly fine watch but the CWs and the Laco are better in my opinion 👍🏼👍🏼
Ps I wanted a German watch from that area (Pforzheim to Frankfurt) as I have family there so there was also a connection to it- I wasn’t anti German watches or not understanding the brand or anything
Thanks for the detailed response. :thumbup:
I agree that it is a "darling" as you say and I have seen/read a number of good reviews so my expectation is fairly high too. I can see what you're saying about the value for money though and the comparison with the CWs is really useful to get a gauge on the Sinn. I might have to let it all sink in and mull it over some more I think - plenty of other good watches to be thinking about! :D
cheers
Ian
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Thanks for the detailed response. :thumbup:
I agree that it is a "darling" as you say and I have seen/read a number of good reviews so my expectation is fairly high too. I can see what you're saying about the value for money though and the comparison with the CWs is really useful to get a gauge on the Sinn. I might have to let it all sink in and mull it over some more I think - plenty of other good watches to be thinking about! :D
cheers
I too am an admirer of the 104, though I've never owned one or a Sinn in general. It is routinely a watch that receives the term 'one watch collection". To me it looks like a very well considered watch, the dial is majestic, particularly in white. Sinn is becoming increasingly more costly as a brand, but it strikes me that you're still getting quite a lot of bang for your buck. I would take a measured view and look at the weight of opinion that's out there concerning it. After all, we all have very different expectations and standards where watches are concerned. From what I can understand Sinn seem to do a very good job of regulating their third party movements, too.
Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sorted out the quotes
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’ve owned a Sinn 104 for approaching a couple of years and it’s one of 3-4 watches that I’d never sell.

Whilst it is invariably lumped in with pilot watches it is nothing like a flieger and in fact Sinn use the term ‘Instrument Watch’ to categorise it. It comes in a range of colours and with either Arabic numerals or baton indices.

Mine is the white version which I think is exquisite and belies the commonly held view that white dialled watches are hard to read.

To use a hackneyed term it’s a strap monster and the above is my favourite combination that brings out the green of the lume.

With regards to accuracy/regulation, mine seems to run at about +2 secs/day. However, in my experience this is somewhat dependent upon its ‘state of charge’; if I just pick it up and give it a good shake to get going then it can be erratic; whereas it’s much more accurate after a good winding.
Tim
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

time_lizard wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:35 am This is quite an interesting Longines to me.
Soporsche wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:17 am file.jpg
Afternoon, there, sir..as usual, Steve is correct..it is a Longines Hour Angle watch..and if you google that name, you can come up w/ a few reviews of the SS version of it...there's about 30 of them available on the 'bay right now, beginning at about $900.00 US...good luck hunting!!! 8) ...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..