Discuss Christopher Ward watches
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: 6.5" wrist, C60... 38mm vs 40mm

Post by strapline »

Leon O wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:04 am
For reference there's an intersting post here about a mathematical watch sizing guide: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/my-mat ... 92616.html
1/ Convert wrist size into mm

2/ Divide total wrist size in mm by the size of the watch

eg A 7 inch watch and a 38 mm watch = 178mm divided by 38mm= Ratio of 4.7

This brings me to the controversial part. What is an acceptable ratio? I think using this formula, that an acceptable ratio falls between 4.0 and 5.0. Anything below 4.0 is too big and anything above 5 is too small.

Here is an example using a 44mm watch which should be too big for some with smaller wrists

6.5 inch ( 165 mm) Ratio=3.75 Too big
7.0 inch (178mm) Ratio=4.0 Just ok- acceptable
8.0 inch (203 mm) Ratio=4.6 Great fit

This brings me to interesting observation that wearing a 39 mm watch on a 7 inch wrist has a a very similar Ratio as wearing a 44mm watch on an 8 inch wrist. That is, a ratio of about 4.6.

For reference, here are the conversions for wrist size
6 inch = 152.5 mm
6.5inch = 165mm
7inch = 178mm
7.5inch= 190.5mm
8.0inch = 203mm
8.5 inch = 216mm
Just came across this formula while reading through this thread, thank God appropriate watch sizing hasn't come down to this. Really it comes down to the interplay between two words: objectivity and subjectivity. So, in simple terms - how it looks compared to how you think it looks, compared to how any third party thinks it looks. Aesthetics and maths don't mix, it's a left vs right side of the brain-type thing.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think that formula makes sense. It's looking for a size that fills a certain percentage of the wrist. Anyone can choose a smaller or larger size. It's up to the owner, whatever they feel happy with.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I don't think that formula really works at all. You'd also need to consider, at a minimum, lug to lug length as well as dial size. I can't imagine what complex formula that would result it, unless there is a mathematician in the house!

As Des says though, it's all really in the eye of the beholder.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
IamthePush

Post by IamthePush »

I ordered the 38mm. Didn't know about customs though! What an extra hassle.... Hopefully not too small. Should now be here next week. If it is too small I guess I could always return and get the 40. Fun fact... order the rubber strap version with discount and the bracelet separately. End up getting them for same price v bracelet version plus import tax. Live and learn!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

IamthePush wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:32 pm I ordered the 38mm. Didn't know about customs though! What an extra hassle.... Hopefully not too small. Should now be here next week. If it is too small I guess I could always return and get the 40.
Do let us know how you get on with it. I’m sure we would like to see some pictures.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:22 pm I don't think that formula really works at all. You'd also need to consider, at a minimum, lug to lug length as well as dial size. I can't imagine what complex formula that would result it, unless there is a mathematician in the house!
Do all wrists have the same height to width ratio? I'm thinking some would be more round meaning a smaller watch looks better while others would be flatter and might want a bigger watch. And even if bones are the same ratio the flesh on them may not be? Not sure calipers work on wrists but could be interesting.
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

For what it’s worth I’ve wrestled with my 38mm mk3 GMT that I funded by selling my mk2. One of the biggest mistakes I’ve made in my CW watch career as although they have similar dimensions they wear completely different. The new light catcher case doesn’t seem to work like it does with the 40mm (I’ve not owned a 42mm mk3). Also it’s very tall for a 38mm so it’s a bit too heavy IMO.

I have since sold the 38mm mk3 and gone back to a mk2...in 43mm! Think my small watch phase is over.

For reference I have 7” wrists so
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
kidevil
CW-watches: 2

Post by kidevil »

I have the same wrist size. I used to have a C65 vintage GMT which I thought was too big (41mm), although it looked OK with a strap. CW bracelets have male end links which add to the lug to lug distance. Something to bear in mind for us with small wrists. Currently I have a 38mm C65 trident MK2 which looks fine on straps, although I’ve been hoping for CW to release a 36mm trident MK3.

All my current favourites are less than 36mm. It’s down to personal preference I think. I just find 34-36mm to be my sweet spot.
These users thanked the author kidevil for the post:
Stuart1
IamthePush

Post by IamthePush »

Here it is... Now I'm torn because I think this is just a tad small. Thoughts? I should be OK with the 38, but would loathe returning it only to wait for a 40mm that might be too big.

20210614_160409.jpg
20210614_160427.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photos 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
These users thanked the author IamthePush for the post:
Stuart1
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

It looks right to me. I think that the slim lugs of the light catcher case fool the eye into thinking it is not as big as you think. If you look closely it looks to me like the LTL is spot on.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Small? It looks exactly right to me. Enjoy!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^What he said.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Looks pretty much spot on to me and 40mm would be on the big side for you.

That said; its your wrist, your watch, wear what you want.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Skypooch

Post by Skypooch »

Great thread. I've a 6.5" wrist (at the bone) too and have been wondering the same thing. Typically 47mm lug to lug is about the maximum I'm comfortable with, 50mm doesn't quite overhang my wrist, but it doesn't leave any spare "real estate" either. My boss has several Rolex GMT masters and Subs, and has let me try a couple on. They almost always look like the watch is wearing me.

I've got a Long Island Watch "SKX mod" at 38mm x 45mm x 13mm with male end links and it still wears awfully small, but chonky, with the distance between the dial and the crystal looking a bit like a deep well, which I don't like. I also have an Omega Speedmaster 38, which has the same 45mm lug to lug, and female end links, and it wears just right for a dress chronograph, if also a little chonky at 13.2mm. The third watch that shares regular rotation is a Dan Henry 1962, which measures 39mm (not sure if that's the body or the flying saucer bezel, which overhangs the body, Speedy style) x 45.9mm x 13.5mm.

On paper, the 39mm Dan Henry is wider, longer and thicker than either the Islander "SKX013" or the Omega Speedy 38, but because it's just that much wider and longer from lug to lug, it looks less chonky and hamburger-like than the 38s on the top of my wrist. I ordered my Speed 38 sight unseen (other than images from the internet) from my AD, and the day I picked it up, I tried on a blue pre-2018 Seamaster 300M (just for fun) and was surprised that the 41mm x 47mm x 13.5mm watch looked acceptable on my little chicken bone wrists.

In my head, where I do most of my thinking, the 40mm x 47.5mm x 12.5mm C60 Trident Pro would seem only slightly bigger than the Dan Henry 1962, and having a few more mm width and length would seem to be a kindness to the overall balance of the watch. I am sure I could buy and pull off the 38mm, but don't need another chonky 38mm. Those male end links do give me pause though.

Anyway, great thread. I'm not sure if it helped or made my anxiety worse, but it's got me thinking about taking a chance on the 40mm.

Thank you.
Amor Vincit Omnia

If it doesn’t have to be a pure dive watch you could split the difference with a C63 Sealander Auto or GMT, both 39 mm.
Steve