6.5" wrist, C60... 38mm vs 40mm

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Re: 6.5" wrist, C60... 38mm vs 40mm

Post by Leon O »

Only because the 38 is already coming, I'll say that in my opinion the 40mm look a bit too large for my tastes. Admittedly, most of my watches are on the larger size so I'm looking at smaller watches now.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

38mm came today. It's really surprising with them both together... the 38 looks small, but conversely it makes the 40 look big. The fact that the 38 also weighs a lot less is immediately noticeable.

Here's where I'm leaning: I think I can 'pull off' the 40, but it feels big on me when I look at it in the mirror, and I think that's a bit of a tell. I also like the lower weight of the 38. I think if this watch had a contrasting bezel, or even if it just looked more sport watch and less dress watch, I'd keep the 40, but the 38 seems the likely winner in my case.

2.jpg
3.jpg
Theo_s
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Theo_s »

heffergm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:27 pm 38mm came today. It's really surprising with them both together... the 38 looks small, but conversely it makes the 40 look big. The fact that the 38 also weighs a lot less is immediately noticeable.

Here's where I'm leaning: I think I can 'pull off' the 40, but it feels big on me when I look at it in the mirror, and I think that's a bit of a tell. I also like the lower weight of the 38. I think if this watch had a contrasting bezel, or even if it just looked more sport watch and less dress watch, I'd keep the 40, but the 38 seems the likely winner in my case.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Yeah I reckon you can totally pull either off, but I'm also completely with you in the idea that the dressiness of the all-black C60 makes the 38mm look better. To me the smaller one just looks more correct.

Big favour, could you perhaps take some "down the arm" shots so we can see how the lugs sit on your wrist? Much appreciated.
Current collection : CW C60 Trident Pro 600 38mm Black/Burgundy, Graf Zeppelin LZ129 Moonphase 36mm, Timex Marlin reissue 34mm
Incoming piece : -
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

Sure.

Although I'm a little concerned with the 38... when screwing the crown in, it feels like you're tightening it against a spring, which the 40 doesn't do at all. As described here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53685
4.jpg
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

I don't know... tough choice, although this crown thing is really irking me.
Theo_s
Junior
Junior

Post by Theo_s »

heffergm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:59 pm Sure.

Although I'm a little concerned with the 38... when screwing the crown in, it feels like you're tightening it against a spring, which the 40 doesn't do at all. As described here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53685

4.jpg
Thanks for that..yeah I reckon 38mm is the one to keep to be honest.
Regarding the screwing in of the crown....is what you're feeling not just the act of winding the movement? I mean, you wind it by turning it, so by screwing it in, you're turning the crown and therefore must surely be winding the movement too.
However, I'd imagine that you should technically then feel the same thing with both the 40mm and the 42mm...so dunno...
Current collection : CW C60 Trident Pro 600 38mm Black/Burgundy, Graf Zeppelin LZ129 Moonphase 36mm, Timex Marlin reissue 34mm
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

So on the 40, once you push the crown in enough to contact the threads, it seems to disengage from the winding mechanism and it screws in without any feeling of contacting a winding mechanism, etc. On the 38, this isn't the case. I guess it could just be the fact that the smaller diameter case means it doesn't disengage from the winding mechanism. :shrug:
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

heffergm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:21 pm So on the 40, once you push the crown in enough to contact the threads, it seems to disengage from the winding mechanism and it screws in without any feeling of contacting a winding mechanism, etc. On the 38, this isn't the case. I guess it could just be the fact that the smaller diameter case means it doesn't disengage from the winding mechanism. :shrug:
Hmmm. Sounds weird. Possibly watch specific but not due to size. I bought my Mrs a 28mm Tudor 1926 last week and it disengages winding when you press the crown in.
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

As ridiculous as this sounds, I think a 39mm would have been the best of both worlds (for my wrist). I wish the 38mm didn't do this weird crown thing though, I think it might have to go back just because of that.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

The 40mm version is the better balanced design. It has more room to breath and has the marker at 3 which looks a lot nicer. It does look bigger on you; probably your limit. But it looks more impressive at quick glance and as if you're getting more bang for the buck. The Mk II has a nice 38mm but for the Mk III it's 40mm all the way.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

I can't say I disagree. It's really staggering how visually different they are, I wasn't expecting such a spread. The 38 dial really looks a bit 'squashed' together (in comparison).
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

Well, very tough choice but given the weird crown thing with the 38, it's going to have to go back. I definitely like the size, but maybe not with this design.

I think the 40 on me by modern standards is fine, for my taste it's admittedly a bit large, but not by as much as I might have thought until I tried the 38. I kind of get why the larger (not ridiculous, just large) watch thing has caught on. The lug-to-lug difference is really not much of a factor at all for me between these two... it's really all down to how much the case diameter and the face on the 38 really shrinks in comparison. Unfortunately I also immediately noticed that with the 38's shorter lug distance, it puts me at the edge of adjustability on the bracelet, where going up a link is way too big, but at my usual size I'm almost all the way out (and it's cold here, and my wrist swells a lot throughout the day).

Anyway, lots of factors to consider. I definitely have a 38mm on my list for a next watch though, just not sure what it'll be.
Theo_s
Junior
Junior

Post by Theo_s »

heffergm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:05 pm Well, very tough choice but given the weird crown thing with the 38, it's going to have to go back. I definitely like the size, but maybe not with this design.

I think the 40 on me by modern standards is fine, for my taste it's admittedly a bit large, but not by as much as I might have though until I tried the 38. I kind of get why the larger (not ridiculous, just large) watch thing has caught on. The lug-to-lug difference is really not much of a factor at all for me between these two... it's really all down to how much the case diameter and the face on the 38 really shrinks in comparison. Unfortunately I also immediately noticed that with the 38's shorter lug distance, it puts me at the edge of adjustability on the bracelet, where going up a link is way too big, but at my usual size I'm almost all the way out (and it's cold here, and my wrist swells a lot throughout the day).

Anyway, lots of factors to consider. I definitely have a 38mm on my list for a next watch though, just not sure what it'll be.

Fair enough...if you don't mind, I'd love to see some more 38 vs 40mm shots. I'm on the very edge of making an order but picking between the 2 sizes is not as clear-cut as I had thought. Unfortunately I can't order one of each to try out at the moment.
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

Here are a few, but I'll give you my 2 cents (for whatever that's worth) first:

- if your wrist is < 6.5", just get the 38mm (if you're asking, I'm assuming you're not a giant watch wearer in general)
- in the pics, I can easily make them look almost identical in size just by slightly altering the camera angle. In real life, the 40mm looks orders of magnitude larger from up close, but the difference is less apparent at a distance.
- knowing now what the gap looks like between 38 and 40, I can't really conceive of getting a sub 39mm diver now. Dress watch, 36 (preferably) or 38 all day long and no bigger for me. In the pics, I totally acknowledge that the 40mm looks big, and 38mm fits better in a 'normal' watch sort of way, but for some reason, for me, the dive watch vibe with the 38mm is a little odd, and I enjoy looking at the 40 more. Maybe it looks silly on me. Oh well. Also, it just doesn't look, to me (say, when I check the time) that big. It may very well be, but my perception of it isn't so.

38401.jpg
38402.jpg
38403.jpg
38404.jpg

With them the other way around:

reverse1.jpg
reverse2.jpg
reverse3.jpg
reverse4.jpg
Theo_s
Junior
Junior

Post by Theo_s »

Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate that. It's pretty crazy to see just how much of a difference a mere 2mm can make.

I gotta say, I still think the 38mm suits you better...but that's just totally down to my own preference. I don't like to see any gap between my skin and the end of lugs.
Either way, you've still got a great watch.