C60 mk3 half link alternative

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Hairy

C60 mk3 half link alternative

Post by Hairy »

Posted this on WUS, figured I’d copy paste here too.

I’ve had a 38mm c60 mk3 in blue for a month or so now. Like several other folks here, I was unlucky on bracelet sizing with my 6.25” wrist. With all the links removed on both the 12 and 6 side, I had the extension set to the max. When my wrist swelled, it was tight enough to leave marks on my wrist. Also, the folding mechanism was long enough that the first real link on the 12 o’clock side wasn’t curving around my wrist, instead making a funny angle.

With an extra link placed on the 12 o’clock side, I had to keep the extension pulled all the way in. The watch would slide over my wrist bone which drives me crazy. So while I had a decent fit, I lost out on the capability to adjust on the fly.

So I’ve modded the watch a little bit. I removed the link on the 12 o’clock side that attached to the clasp. It’s just a normal spring bar.

hoped to put the spring bar from the bracelet endlink back into a spare link, but unfortunately it was too thick, even with the collar removed. I found a 16mm aftermarket spring bar which was skinny enough. I installed this into the clasp. However, the extra link isn’t as wide as the endlink, and I was worried about the spring bar buckling. So I managed to squeeze a 17mm spring bar in, and it was tight, but made a much more secure fit with the clasp.

One difference to note is that the link isn’t shaved down like the endlink is. The flat ridge is what prevents the end link from rotating, but it is very thin and I wasn’t confident grinding the extra link down. So while the extra link can fit in, it allows rotation. I think if you tried to forcibly rotate the link while the bracelet wasn’t on the wrist, the spring bar would take the load. So I’m going to be a little more careful when not wearing the watch, but I’m probably being overly cautious.

After reinstalling on the watch head, it feels perfectly secure. Despite the slightly larger link, the clasp still closes fine. There is a little more friction while adjusting the clasp, but nothing significant. I’m now sized in the middle of the adjustable range, allowing my wrist to grow and shrink. Also, the rotation of the first link is just past the fold out piece, following my wrist curve better. It’s much more comfortable overall.

I think this will probably mar the extra link, but it’s worth the comfort in my opinion.

Good luck!
F4300785-B74F-42DE-8AC8-E2210594C82B.jpeg
3666C272-E462-4BCA-9BB8-E4528BC96C64.jpeg
DBAAED2A-17C2-448B-9AB0-37B0C0B4E5B4.jpeg
BF88E5B2-CEAB-4247-A3D6-F567725B90B8.jpeg
6B5B3F6E-F730-47CA-B13F-D978ACBBE91C.jpeg
0AED0A9E-0A21-4E3A-B5C4-3088B1AAB7AB.jpeg
899067E5-D684-470C-A1FA-0176058D8FEE.jpeg
0660040A-C373-42BD-80E9-24CC8BBE7800.jpeg
Hairy

Re: C60 mk3 half link alternative

Post by Hairy »

Sorry, the pictures uploaded backwards of my intent :)
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Clever solution.

Why CW fails to recognize this is an issue, I have no idea. I have brought it up repeatedly with them and finally gave up when I asked the question via internet at one of the GTGs and CW himself smirked and told me to get in touch with him so he could tell me how to use the micro-adjust clasp. They have promised to 'look into it' for over 2 years but nothing has been announced or done (apparently) to date.

It would be a simple matter to include a single half-link with all bracelets or to make them available as an add-on purchase for those of us who need one so it's bewildering to me why they don't.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

FloridaPhil wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm
Why CW fails to recognize this is an issue, I have no idea.
Sadly not a problem unique to CW. Omega did not provide a half-link with the 3750.50 Speedmaster, and the bracelet has only 2 micro adjust holes. If you ask Omega directly, they will tell you that they do not make a half-link for the 3750 bracelet. In reality the 3750 and 2254 bracelet links are identical, and Omega does make a half-link for the 2254!
The situation is worse with the new Speedmaster. The new screwed bracelet does not have half-links available for it. The only solution (in reality a better but more expensive solution) is to source a new clasp and end links for different watches from Omega, and have them fitted to your Speedmaster bracelet.
I needed to source a half-link for my Speedmaster, and while I was able to order one with no issues, this is an unacceptable workaround for a watch that costs over 3K.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

That’s a pretty cool hack/mod!
Like you, I sit at the extremities of what the adjustable bracelet can offer. Don’t get me wrong, any type of on-the-fly adjustment on a bracelet is worth it’s weight in gold, but the additional option of a half-link for full adjustability would be the kipper’s knickers.
I hope the big cheeses at CW Towers listen and make bracelets available with a half link as standard. Hell, I’d even be happy to pay a few quid and buy one as an optional extra.

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

FloridaPhil wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm Clever solution.

Why CW fails to recognize this is an issue, I have no idea. I have brought it up repeatedly with them and finally gave up when I asked the question via internet at one of the GTGs and CW himself smirked and told me to get in touch with him so he could tell me how to use the micro-adjust clasp. They have promised to 'look into it' for over 2 years but nothing has been announced or done (apparently) to date.

It would be a simple matter to include a single half-link with all bracelets or to make them available as an add-on purchase for those of us who need one so it's bewildering to me why they don't.
You, me and many others are in luck.

I have it on very, very good authority that a revised bracelet is in the works that implements half links as well as screws instead of pins and continues to incorporate the ratcheting on-the-fly adjustable clasp. Availability date TBD, but it is targeted by 2021. They would be compatible with C60 Mk3 cases, unclear on the rest of the models. I doubt the half-links would be available separately in that they would not be backwards compatible since they'll use screws and not pin/collar.

My latest NN purchase was specifically on a strap and not bracelet with plans to buy the new bracelet for it when it becomes available.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

That's good news going forward. Sadly, I personally have zero interest in the mk3 Trident.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:35 pm

I have it on very, very good authority that a revised bracelet is in the works that implements half links as well as screws instead of pins and continues to incorporate the ratcheting on-the-fly adjustable clasp. Availability date TBD, but it is targeted by 2021. They would be compatible with C60 Mk3 cases, unclear on the rest of the models. I doubt the half-links would be available separately in that they would not be backwards compatible since they'll use screws and not pin/collar.
:-$ This is supposed to be a secret.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

^ feel free to edit it out if it's an issue.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Rice & Gravy wrote:
FloridaPhil wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm Clever solution.

You, me and many others are in luck.

My latest NN purchase was specifically on a strap and not bracelet with plans to buy the new bracelet for it when it becomes available.
Nice, but I can't wait Image

I'd have not problem getting another bracelet it it's that good

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk