Custom Duties on CW purchase

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nordwulf

Re: Custom Duties on CW purchase

Post by nordwulf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:09 am
albionphoto wrote:It's not entirely clear to me where the failure occurs. I assume it is with DHL/US customs. CW Customer service can sort it out very quickly once they are alerted to the problem.
That's a pretty fair assumption.

I'm confident that, with the number of packages CW ship to the USA, they have systems in place to ensure the correct paperwork goes with each package.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Recent purchases from the January sale arrived without proforma invoices on the out outside of the package. These days, most of the customs clearance process is done electronically and not a person who inspects each package and pulls the attached invoice.

Too bad DHL doesn't seem to be able to figure this out all the time. Wish CW would use UPS or Fedex for USA shipments, DHL is a small player here.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

nordwulf wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Too bad DHL doesn't seem to be able to figure this out all the time. Wish CW would use UPS or Fedex for USA shipments, DHL is a small player here.
Frank, I suspect the problem is UPS/Fedex having a $1000 valuation limit on watches. DHL (at least the Express service) goes much higher, certainly to €25k, maybe more but I've never needed more. Cost is 1% of insured value.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

Interesting to note that Christopher Ward's (the person and his sons) new brand Tribus is handling duty and tax differently, according to their website: "IMPORT DUTY/TAX - We don't think you should have to deal with any unexpected charges, so to keep things transparent all sales taxes are included in your total at checkout. What you see is what you pay – leave any import fees to us. All you need to do with your order is sign for it when it arrives at your door. If they can do it I don't see why CW couldn't implement a similar system, it's certainly much easier to commit to a purchase when you know your total cost up front in the sales process.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

audio.bill wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:34 pm Interesting to note that Christopher Ward's (the person and his sons) new brand Tribus is handling duty and tax differently, according to their website: "IMPORT DUTY/TAX - We don't think you should have to deal with any unexpected charges, so to keep things transparent all sales taxes are included in your total at checkout. What you see is what you pay – leave any import fees to us. All you need to do with your order is sign for it when it arrives at your door. If they can do it I don't see why CW couldn't implement a similar system, it's certainly much easier to commit to a purchase when you know your total cost up front in the sales process.
Yes, Tribus aren't the only small brand that does this either. When I received my compressor, I learnt I had undercalculated by about 50% the duty/VAT costs. Totally my fault although the sale, no UK VAT and free shipping still meant it was a good deal. But what a truly hassle free experience it would be if I had the full cost explaned to me from the outset.
'Tis me