My C65 Trident GMT isn't waterproof!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Re: My C65 Trident GMT isn't waterproof!

Post by peterh »

MarkingTime wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:13 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 am @UNIONmagazine - curious as the how you got to speak with the Head of Product Development (presumably Adrian Buchmann).

Surely your issue is with customer service and, if you are not able to get a satisfactory response from them or their manager, then perhaps you ought to speak with the ultimate head of CS, who is Mike France.

Just a thought.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
I was wondering from the off whether or not there is any link here to UNIONmag and perhaps an ulterior motive involved.

Of course, you never really know what's going on behind the screens in a public forum.
Oof. While I understand your line of thought, that's a rough thing to say.

Let's put it this way:
While we may not go as far as to trust anyone who uses their first post on a watch forum to voice his discontent, we also have no tangible reason to distrust them.

Ultimately, this is a matter between UnionWatch and CW, and the forum has no role in this rather than providing advice. The reason why I say so is because I have seen proven instances in the past of people starting threads on a public forum (be it Facebook, or Instagram, or Twitter, or a forum like this) with the sole intent to push an agenda, or harm a company's reputation, for whatever reason you can think of.

As a sidenote: having a handle that's pretty much anonymous doesn't help, of course, which is why I make it a habit of participating using my real name.

To get back on track:
In order to get this resolved, I think the OP should concentrate in the inconsistencies in the reasons given for not honouring the warranty (first the bracelet being damaged, then the pressure test), and the fact that the watch was reportedly modified (cleaned, dried and resealed) before doing the pressure test, as this would invalidate the successful pressure test as an argument.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

Lastly, since apparently the OP is now in negotiations with CW about reaching a mutually acceptable conclusion, I think we'd best wait until we hear how that worked out for him.

I can see how someone at CW might say "oh, come on... let's give the guy a new watch head and put the matter to bed already!" -- it would probably be the easiest and cheapest solution.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by UNIONmagazine »

MarkingTime wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:13 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 am @UNIONmagazine - curious as the how you got to speak with the Head of Product Development (presumably Adrian Buchmann).

Surely your issue is with customer service and, if you are not able to get a satisfactory response from them or their manager, then perhaps you ought to speak with the ultimate head of CS, who is Mike France.

Just a thought.

Guy

I was wondering from the off whether or not there is any link here to UNIONmag and perhaps an ulterior motive involved.

Of course, you never really know what's going on behind the screens in a public forum.

Working for a magazine, or indeed owning it might get you to speak to people higher up in the food chain. Just a thought.
Hi, you're correct, I do co-own UNION Magazine. I didn't ask to speak with The Head of Product Design, he asked to speak with me. I pursued the issue through the normal channels using contact details on the CW website using my day to day email address, not my UNION address (although my involvement with UNION is listed on my signature). Other than my proferssion being listed on my email signature it hasn't been mentioned once.

Initially my case was going no-where so I contacted a Jeweller friend of mine who asked around and gave me the email address' for the heads of CS and Brand Experience which seemed to get things moving.

Mike France has since been cc'd into emails, not by me. I did not know who was in charge at CW.

I'm genuinely interested to hear what "ulterior motive" you think I may have?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thank you for the clarification.

Looking forward to hearing details of your resolution.

Guy

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

Look forward to hearing more.
For me the main concern is that at first they said the scratched bracelet voided the case warranty and WR .. and then it’s apparently passed a pressure test after they’ve already fixed it, so the watch is fine? Warranty doesn’t apply apparently.
Seeing as most people can’t seem to get a service in 3 months and all round inconsistencies I’d really inquire more on this, as several things don’t add up.
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

UNIONmagazine wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:49 am
I really don’t know, but I’m rather a cynical individual and never take at face value what I read or hear, particularly on a public forum.
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior

Post by UNIONmagazine »

MarkingTime wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:47 pm
UNIONmagazine wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:49 am
I really don’t know, but I’m rather a cynical individual and never take at face value what I read or hear, particularly on a public forum.
Okay, then thanks for your input.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

My admittedly un(der)informed take on the scratched bracelet is that it was CW’s initial reason as to why the watch would not be replaced with a new one; as I gather that was the initial request - for a replacement, not for a repair.

Likewise, I suspect that the claim that the watch had been demonstrably tested as being waterproof (albeit after apparent disassembly and reassembly) is now being touted as the reason to continue to refuse the claim, but for repair this time.

One wonders (without any basis in fact) whether someone in CW has taken a certain position at the beginning of the exchange and is now unwilling to back down from that position, irrespective of how it looks. People can be like that (I suspect many of us here have taken stances that after a night or two of sleep and thought have looked just a little untenable). It simply requires someone else (in charge) to step in, take an unjaundiced look and either confirm their position or change it.

I will nonetheless be interested to hear of the final outcome.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior

Post by UNIONmagazine »

Conclusion:

After exchanging numerous emails and a after a long chat on the phone yesterday with Adrian Buchmann I have been assured that I will receive a full refund for the C65 GMT. A new replacement watch was offered but my confidence has been shaken, not only becuase of my own experience but becuase of another forum user who seems to have suffered a very similar issue with moisture finding it's way into the watch while being worn in the sea.

I'm genuinley saddened tbh. The C65 GMT is an beautiful looking watch, probably one of the best looking in it's genre at any price (IMO) and will be hard to replace in terms of pure aesthetics. But I would never be happy living with a Diver's Watch that made me worry everytime it came into contact with water. I realise the chances are that my C65 was a rare and unfortunate fluke but the whole CS experience has left a sour taste in the mouth.

It should be said that CW still maintain that the watch met their QC despite the obvious water ingress. I have questions about their methods but they insist that the watch satisfied all available tests. The important aspect is that CW eventually came through and did the right thing which I applaud them for.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

So they did the decent thing in the end....result. More reason to give people buying CW some confidence in the brand. I would have preferred to have seen a clearer more factually correct statement of events from the beginning, rather than the drip feed of unexpected information. I think it would have made for less speculation.

I think again it requires them to be a little more creative and structured in dealing with CS issues. If it had been me, I would have videoed the salient bits of a pressure test, without dismantling the watch and doing nothing more except rinsing the crown gasket to remove any salt crystals trapped under it, as it would have been reasonable to expect the owner to have pulled the crown out after this happened. The watch was fogged therefore not absolutely full of water and a pressure test would have worked and been valid.

Then pass or fail, the owner would have been appraised of the result and invited to view the video. Even if the pressure test had shown no fault, swapped out the movement (golden year principle). result = correct process, video evidence, delighted customer.

Or I am just too old and stupid now to know how things should be handled?
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior

Post by UNIONmagazine »

DavecUK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:54 pm So they did the decent thing in the end....result. More reason to give people buying CW some confidence in the brand. I would have preferred to have seen a clearer more factually correct statement of events from the beginning, rather than the drip feed of unexpected information. I think it would have made for less speculation.

I think again it requires them to be a little more creative and structured in dealing with CS issues. If it had been me, I would have videoed the salient bits of a pressure test, without dismantling the watch and doing nothing more except rinsing the crown gasket to remove any salt crystals trapped under it, as it would have been reasonable to expect the owner to have pulled the crown out after this happened. The watch was fogged therefore not absolutely full of water and a pressure test would have worked and been valid.

Then pass or fail, the owner would have been appraised of the result and invited to view the video. Even if the pressure test had shown no fault, swapped out the movement (golden year principle). result = correct process, video evidence, delighted customer.

Or I am just too old and stupid now to know how things should be handled?
Dave, if you had been consulting at CW I would still be a happy content customer with a beautiful C65 GMT on my wrist.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

UNIONmagazine wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:41 pm Conclusion:

After exchanging numerous emails and a after a long chat on the phone yesterday with Adrian Buchmann I have been assured that I will receive a full refund for the C65 GMT. A new replacement watch was offered but my confidence has been shaken, not only becuase of my own experience but becuase of another forum user who seems to have suffered a very similar issue with moisture finding it's way into the watch while being worn in the sea.

I'm genuinley saddened tbh. The C65 GMT is an beautiful looking watch, probably one of the best looking in it's genre at any price (IMO) and will be hard to replace in terms of pure aesthetics. But I would never be happy living with a Diver's Watch that made me worry everytime it came into contact with water. I realise the chances are that my C65 was a rare and unfortunate fluke but the whole CS experience has left a sour taste in the mouth.

It should be said that CW still maintain that the watch met their QC despite the obvious water ingress. I have questions about their methods but they insist that the watch satisfied all available tests. The important aspect is that CW eventually came through and did the right thing which I applaud them for.
Best of luck in finding a replacement. Despite the circumstances, It is always fun looking for a new watch so try and enjoy it! :-)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

IMO this is the right ending to a difficult situation where it became 1 party's word in conflict with the other party.

I don't intend any criticism of the CS staff at CW as we don't know still the full story and there's probably some "wisdom in hindsight" also but maybe this sort of return should have struck a warning bell at CW that meant straight away it was an out of the "ordinary" problem requiring escalation and direct communication with the owner.

Maybe if it had been dealt with in this manner at an earlier stage CW would still have a happy owner of a C65 writing a positive topic thread and the OP would still have a CW watch that he liked.
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

UNIONmagazine wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:41 pm Conclusion:

That's great news! I hope you find another beautiful looking watch that you enjoy and enables you to use it in the sea. It'd be great if you could post information on the forum once you have found a replacement watch, with lots of photos. Just my own opinion: for using it in the sea get one with a screw down crown! Also consider starting a new link on the forum along the lines of: 'Any suggestions for replacing a watch similar to the C65 GMT from another brand', you're sure to get some good suggestions on here!

I couldn't resist looking on-line at your Union Magazine! Best wishes with this fairly new business.
Dean
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I am genuinely pleased that common sense has prevailed. There are lots of lovely watches out there so enjoy the hunt for a replacement
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul