Casual, elegant and rugged CW explorer watch

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Would you be interested in a CW watch like this?

Yes
56%
No
32%
Maybe
13%

Total votes: 104

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Casual, elegant and rugged CW sports watch

Post by TigerChris »

^^ I'm gonna disagree with moving the 'thingy' from 9 to 12. Keep it at 9, but with twin flags at 12
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

H0rati0 wrote:
downer wrote:I thought CW already tried this with the C65 Trident Classic....
I'd agree. A sports/field watch has to have to additional attributes, eg Seiko Alpinist (much loved) or Prospex Landmasters to differentiate I would have thought.

nik
That's what I was thinking. I like the style of the AT and Explorer but I don't see anything in the suggestions for it to be much different to what's already been done before in the CW watches and it'd have to have the name at 12o'clock anyway which is unlikely.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

TigerChris wrote:^^ I'm gonna disagree with moving the 'thingy' from 9 to 12. Keep it at 9, but with twin flags at 12
Yep, also a good option. Might get a little busy on some dials, depending on complications is all I'm thinking, but twin flags, full name mix & match as aesthetic.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

^^ I have to admit that I am a fan of the 'Christopher Ward' coupled with the twin flags, I think they work well together
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

nordwulf wrote:
It's interesting to see so far the majority here don't have a need for arugged outdoors watch. The Damasko DA-34 would be the model to aim for but that's probably beyond the capabilities of what CW can produce. It's cool to see how much technology they put in their watches but it's much more expensive than the C65.
Oh, I do have a need but won't use an expensive/quality watch watch for such activities, G shock, Seiko 5 are more the budget. Smash it, chuck it and buy a new one. So we are really looking at a wannabee market, eg people who buy divers and don't dive, so relevant frills there must be.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by copemanphoto »

Hey Nordwulf,
Those are great designs, and as I have said before, I think the 3,6,9,12 arabic numerals with red highlights and words is excellent and at 41mm, perfect!

I have wished for CW to incorporate your ideas since I first saw them in print but I guess the powers to be have had other plans. Oh well.

That has left me wanting to fill openings on my watch tree with simple striking watches with field/pilot/sports style designs and I have had to look elsewhere........so I ended up buying an Oris BC3 and a Damasko DA36 to scratch that itch. Similarities, sure but still different enough to happily fill that part of my collection.

Given the quality that goes into CW watches and their reputation, if they decided to use your design ideas I believe they would have another winner on their hands and I would be happy to buy one.
Cheers, Mike.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Voted no....... Just sell whatever you've currently got, save up if necessary and buy an AT, it's the real deal and you won't regret it - guaranteed.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Tyke wrote:Voted no....... Just sell whatever you've currently got, save up if necessary and buy an AT, it's the real deal one you won't regret it - guaranteed.
The same could be said for the C60 and a Planet Ocean. Not saying that I don't want an AT but we're looking for an affordable alternative. One that you can wear in financially-challenged areas without the fear of getting robbed and something you don't mind getting scratched up a bit.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

nordwulf wrote:
Tyke wrote:Voted no....... Just sell whatever you've currently got, save up if necessary and buy an AT, it's the real deal one you won't regret it - guaranteed.
The same could be said for the C60 and a Planet Ocean. Not saying that I don't want an AT but we're looking for an affordable alternative. One that you can wear in financially-challenged areas without the fear of getting robbed and something you don't mind getting scratched up a bit.
I reckon over the last 6 -8 years I've spent way more on CW's than the AT cost me. Result - all have gone at losses, so in actual fact the AT will work out much cheaper in the long run. As for worrying about knocks, mine gets worn every day for work and pleasure, you very quickly forget the cost and mine's insured for very little cost, so theft isn't an issue - I've only had one person ask me about it and he's a fellow watch geek, most people wouldn't know you're wearing an AT because it's elegant and subtle, not as flashy as a Breitbling or similar.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I don't disagree with you but that's a different discussion outside of this topic. And not everyone can spend the money on a luxury watch like an AT. Buyers of CW watches are mostly average consumers and not watch collectors.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

copemanphoto wrote:Hey Nordwulf,
Those are great designs, and as I have said before, I think the 3,6,9,12 arabic numerals with red highlights and words is excellent and at 41mm, perfect!

I have wished for CW to incorporate your ideas since I first saw them in print but I guess the powers to be have had other plans. Oh well.

That has left me wanting to fill openings on my watch tree with simple striking watches with field/pilot/sports style designs and I have had to look elsewhere........so I ended up buying an Oris BC3 and a Damasko DA36 to scratch that itch. Similarities, sure but still different enough to happily fill that part of my collection.

Given the quality that goes into CW watches and their reputation, if they decided to use your design ideas I believe they would have another winner on their hands and I would be happy to buy one.
Thanks for the kind words Mike!

This is a small forum and only 38 votes so far. The Yes and Maybe votes have a small lead right now so that's a good sign. If half of the average CW watch buyers thinks the same, it may be a large enough market for a watch like this. However, this is just a small sample and watch enthusiasts may want something different than the average consumer.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

nordwulf wrote:I don't disagree with you but that's a different discussion outside of this topic. And not everyone can spend the money on a luxury watch like an AT. Buyers of CW watches are mostly average consumers and not watch collectors.
In which case, the answers still no, just go and buy a decent Seiko auto
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I have several Seiko watches and looked for a watch in this style and size before but can't find any models that I like. What would you suggest? The SARB033 is too small/dressy and the Alpinist isn't my cup of tea either.

And so far, I haven't been really impressed with the 6R15 or similar Seiko movements.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

nordwulf wrote:I have several Seiko watches and looked for a watch in this style and size before but can't find any models that I like. What would you suggest? The SARB033 is too small/dressy and the Alpinist isn't my cup of tea either.

And so far, I haven't been really impressed with the 6R15 or similar Seiko movements.
Probably not then if you're not keen on the 6R15. Good luck with trying to persuade them :thumbup:

You could always buy a decent 2nd hand AT..........
arzt
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by arzt »

nordwulf wrote: - Selitta or ETA movement
Most important point.
CW have C65 Trident Vintage, so about what is this poll?
But it is not alternative for Explorer, Aquaterra or NorthFlag. Too cheap and not so great caliber inside.

So if we need to start discussion about "field alternative for Explorer" we need to speak about SH21 inside.
CW created true british pilot watch against B-Uhr. May be true british military watch with broad arrow will be good start point for discussion about it.
"Die Kraft steckt in der Qualität." ©
C9-SS & C60 COSC & C1GM 5day Blue dial Prototype #0000