The Ronda 5040 D

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

The Ronda 5040 D

Post by El Tiempo »

Okay, Hans, I went ahead and registered.

I can't find much on this movement other than Invicta has used it.

I'm having a hard time choosing which model I want. On one hand I like the 2824-2 auto movement, on the other hand I've always been a black dial kind of guy. I think the Chrono would look really good with a nice black strap.

I'd like to find out more on the Ronda movement though.
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

Well, the huge difference between the ETA and Ronda is naturally that the first is a mechanical movement, and the second is a quartz movement. I personally prefer mechanical movements, but quartz movements have some obvious advantages and Ronda is a well known manufacturer of quartz movements.

Ronda, the second largest Swiss watch ebauche manufacturer (after ETA) produces about 32 million movements a year (vice 100 million for the Swatch conglomerate).
They produce in Switzerland and at a new facility in Thailand.
Many companies, considereded "medium to high end" use their calibers (Maurice Lacroix, Raymond Weil, Swiss Army, Luminox, Zeno, Wenger, Michele, Guess, Nautica, Gant and Invicta.)
There has been a consistent effort from Ronda (and also ISA) to become alternatives to ETA when supplying complicated quartz movements. The finish of Ronda STARTECH calibers is on par with the best of ETA.
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by El Tiempo »

Thanks for the info Hans. Glad to hear the Startech has a good reputation. If you have any links you think i might be interested in, please post them.

Inquisitively,

El Tiempo