Favourite CW of all time.....

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Favourite CW of all time.....

Post by atnits »

Lavaine wrote:The original C3-4-5-6 lineup was such a strong and original line.
I agree. The mk1 C5 aviator wins it for me (either colour), just ahead of the mk1 C5.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I normally go for the 2012 FLE when this topic comes up. This time I will go with the C80 Sector because of the history behind the RAF clock.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Currently I'd go for the C1 Morgan Aero 8 which has the SH21 movement, costs £2,250 so haven't bought one, maybe one day.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
arzt
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by arzt »

For me the C9 5 Day Small-Second Chronometer still remains my favourite CWL.
The first SH21 hand wound watch. A sample of classic English watches. The dial design takes after those of 18th-century British marine chronometers, ivory dial, blued hands, elongated black Roman numerals and small second. It is especially important that caliber with traditional hand-grinding finish and polished screws.
I am glad that CWL is following the way of more industrialization of production, increasing volumes and trying to become a "Web-Rolex". I really liked the fantastically comfortable new C1 enclosure. But I'm a little sad about the times when the CWL timepiece was a work of art with a lot of manual labor.

ImageC9SS

ImageC9SS
"Die Kraft steckt in der Qualität." ©
C9-SS & C60 COSC & C1GM 5day Blue dial Prototype #0000
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

ddav wrote:
gatehealing wrote:The lowly original c1 Harrison, by far my favorite. Image
Surely that's a Russell.
That’s what I meant... d’oh!
MarkGraz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by MarkGraz »

arzt wrote:For me the C9 5 Day Small-Second Chronometer still remains my favourite CWL.
The first SH21 hand wound watch. A sample of classic English watches. The dial design takes after those of 18th-century British marine chronometers, ivory dial, blued hands, elongated black Roman numerals and small second. It is especially important that caliber with traditional hand-grinding finish and polished screws.
I am glad that CWL is following the way of more industrialization of production, increasing volumes and trying to become a "Web-Rolex". I really liked the fantastically comfortable new C1 enclosure. But I'm a little sad about the times when the CWL timepiece was a work of art with a lot of manual labor.

ImageC9SS

ImageC9SS
This would be my choice also. Probably my most popular "business casual" watch, and also the CW I get the most comments on.
CWL:C30,C5FLE,C60(2),C60GMT(2),C8(2),C9JH,C11Tit Ext,C11MSL,C9SS,C95D,C9GMT,C9FLE Proto, C60 Chrono
Ebel Chrnon,Stein NavB DLC,Hanhart Minos,Nomos Metro,NomosAhoi ATL,Panerai 351,Omega Spdmstr Mk2,Halios Tropic B,,JLC Master Comp Chrono, Tudor GMT.
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

It is a credit to CW that there are so many classics. The single pusher is simply stunning as are other JJ complications. The jumping hour Mk3 and the c9 world timer are the two in my collection that really stand out, they are beautiful pieces that I never tire of looking at. The new releases are also really impressive- that C65 SH21 is lovely and I’m daydreaming about the C7 apex. Maybe one day...

If I had to choose one, it would be the jumping hour.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

There have been some fantastic dials from CW over the years, but some were let down by the features of the cases they were put in. For example [and these are a little subjective, so please don't take offence at my personal opinions :) ]:
  • C5 Mark 1 - beautiful dual-layer dial, but the case was too tall, with squared off sides, for a dress watch. 18mm lug width not ideal either.
    C5 Mk1/2 Aviator - same case issues
    C9 SH21 Small Seconds - exquisite dial, but too tall
    C900 Single Pusher - possibly the best CW dial ever, but way too big at 43mm and too tall. But a mechanical marvel.
    C6 Kingfisher - more lovely dials, but let down by bead-blasted finish to the case and a plasticky bezel
    C9 Jumping Hour Mark 1 - beautiful dial, but too big at 43mm
    C9 Jumping Hour Mark 3 - 40mm great, but too tall
    C2/20 - another lovely dial, but let down by the way the bracelet fitted the case.
    C70 (early versions) - great dials, but let down by a bezel that chipped as soon as you sneezed
    C1 GM (incl PR version) - looked great, but (IMHO) too large for a dress watch at 40.5mm
However, there are some examples where CW have got pretty much everything right: dial, case, size, hands, materials, etc. For example:
  • C8 Power Reserve - I know it's large at 44mm, but that's fine for an aviator watch. The overall design and use of SH21 is a triumph.
    C80 Sector GB - perfect execution of a watch with legitimate historical roots
    C11 MSL - a slightly unusual, but brilliantly balanced watch design
    C70 (later versions with metal bezel edge) - brilliant designs that are iconic to CW, with a bezel that will last!
    C1 Russell - a beautiful traditional dial in a slim case that is (just about) not too big for a dress watch
    C60 600 - a great combination of design, materials and top engineering to make this a top quality dive watch for relatively modest money
    C700 - a forgotten hero I think. An interesting, multi-layered/textured dial in a well-sized case that is not too tall, considering the 7750 movement inside.
So, what's my "favourite CW of all time"? Well, I've cheated and gone for two. One I've owned and given to my son, and one I hope to own in the future if they adopt it into the main line-up.

Firstly, the C3 Mark 1 cream dial. A watch where everything is just right, with multiple attractive aspects. I mean, just look at it!

Secondly, the C1 Morgan Aero 8 Chronometer. A superb design, making great use of the SH21's PR features. The design also makes it a sports watch, which is suited to the 40.5mm case, whereas I think the case is too large for out-and-out dress watch styles. Anyway, I love it! :)

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru

Post by ciclismosam »

For my it is the C900 Single Pusher. Even though I ended up finding it to big (I’m skinny) I adored it and was happy to pass it on to my dad! Such a stunning watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

For me I am greatly enamoured of my C8 PR. I looked for years for a pilot's watch with this spec and design and then it has such lovely detail touches, the hands, the lume. I could not believe my eyes when I first saw it.

I have mine on a Bader, it deserves better than a buckle.

I am coveting a C9 small seconds nowadays, elegance personified. Hopefully I'll find one at some stage.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

It’s no question for me...C9 Harrison Jumping Hour MKIII (Hey, I’m a poet!)
Attachments
EEFDD9D2-D83C-45F6-B606-D92E17C4BBEE.jpeg
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

As much as I love my C65 Trident Vintage, my favorite might have to be the C9 5-day small seconds. It’s a beautiful, timeless looking dress watch.
4A0CBB4A-AFC1-4788-9F8A-98C2A3C38242.jpeg
If (when?) I ever acquire the new C65 Trident GMT, my opinion might change.
Drew
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

MarkGraz wrote:
arzt wrote:For me the C9 5 Day Small-Second Chronometer still remains my favourite CWL.

ImageC9SS

ImageC9SS
This would be my choice also. Probably my most popular "business casual" watch, and also the CW I get the most comments on.
+1, this is my choice
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

If it came to a vote, even though I don't have one, the C9 small seconds would edge out my beloved C8PR, so +2.

It would also look gorgeous in 18k .....A great pity it is no longer available from CW.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

This is a tough one to answer as CW have made some stunning timepieces over the years.
From my perspective, having owned a number of CWs , by default (i.e. I still own them) it's...
  • C90 Becketts (black dial);
  • C60 Trident Pro 600 Vintage Black;
  • S70 BRG COSC.
The one CW I would really like is the, IIRC, the C8 MkI cream dial pilot (like Guy has).