alignement second hand and minute hand

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: alignement second hand and minute hand

Post by Scrogg »

Falstaff wrote:There are several different discussions going on here...
There usually are!

Sometimes I actually think this forum wouldn't make much less sense if we did away with sub-forums, threads, etc completely and just had one massive Mini-Chat running :P
MadJam250
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by MadJam250 »

Falstaff wrote:There are several different discussions going on here. The question is not about split second accuracy, it's a simple mechanical question about the minute hand aligning properly with the correct minute marker when the second hand hits the 12:00 spot. No OCD required - or evident, just another minute or so when setting the watch to ensure that everything lines up as it should. Don't care? Then don't bother.
Getting back on track ... my C2 Lido doesn't hit all 60 markers perfectly, but my C4 Phoenix and Certina DS do.
MadJam

* CWL, x2 (C2, C3)
* Steinhart Titanium O1Ti500P
* Tissot Visodate heritage incoming
* Certina DS Podium chrono
* Seiko SARB033
* Smiths vintage mechanical WC4204/s
* Brathwait Classic Slim Steel
* Invicta 8924, 9094
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

MadJam250 wrote:
Falstaff wrote:There are several different discussions going on here. The question is not about split second accuracy, it's a simple mechanical question about the minute hand aligning properly with the correct minute marker when the second hand hits the 12:00 spot. No OCD required - or evident, just another minute or so when setting the watch to ensure that everything lines up as it should. Don't care? Then don't bother.
Getting back on track ... my C2 Lido doesn't hit all 60 markers perfectly, but my C4 Phoenix and Certina DS do.
I'm not actually losing sleep over this but what about you?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

I don't and I shan't!!! :)

However, I will add that how you set the hand can have an impact. There is always a certain amount of slack in a drivetrain and this can make a big difference to whether everything lines up or not.

You may set the hand exactly on the minute marker based on the position of the second hand, but if it takes a several seconds for the drivetrain to catch up then you are going to be out again immediately.

Many people set the hands forwards as opposed to backwards to help alleviate this issue.

I know that this is a particular problem on certain mechanical movements such as the 7750 but there is no reason to assume that the same issue cannot happen on a quartz. Still has gears, just that they are driven by a crystal aa opposed to a spring.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk now Free
bobbubka
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by bobbubka »

Sadly, I do indeed wait for the minute hand to pass 12 and ensure that the minute hand is exactly lined up with the correct minute marker.
Not too concerned with accuracy (within reason), or I'd by a Quartz. More of a visual annoyance when glancing at the watch if it isn't aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CW C60 600 GMT and C65 Vintage
Rolex 14060M and 114300
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

Cant you just remove the 2nd hand or buy a 2 handed watch and get a good nights sleep lol :lol: